PDA

View Full Version : Axis 7mm-08 got deer opening day in Pa.

bigrockets
12-05-2013, 05:32 PM
I bought an axis 7/08 standard with the bushnell scope. The dealer had bore sighted it when I picked it up. It took six shots to put it on target at 75 yards. I got a nice whitetail 6 point buck the afternoon of opening day at about 30 yards in brush cover. Pa's 3 point rule meant I had to turn down two deer in the morning as I couldn't determine points count. I used Remington 140 grain factory ammo. One shot in the lungs and that was it. The rifle is great except for the trigger pull. I have been looking at YouTube videos on improving the factory trigger. The Timney trigger seems a little pricey to me. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

GMC-AT
12-05-2013, 05:38 PM
cut one ring off the spring as seen in the youtube vids. Trigger will be nice. I have the 25-06 axis and just got a 7mm08 axis yesterday. First thing I did was the trigger mod.

bigrockets
12-05-2013, 05:43 PM
What did you use to cut the spring? I'm hesitant to use a Dremmel tool but springs are hard to cut with wire cutters.

GMC-AT
12-05-2013, 05:52 PM
wire snips

patrolit
12-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Here is a thread I did up on my Axis, second page has photos and info on the trigger.

http://www.shootingaustralia.net/forum/rifles-bolt-action-centre-fire/2957-putting-together-new-savage-axis

n4ue
12-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi. Without 'flogging the deceased equine', go to your nearest True Value Hardware store. You can buy a similar length (but lighter) spring for <$.70. Next, thread an Allen screw into the trigger where the factory spring was. Cutting the spring, changes the spring RATE. and is NOT the best way to go. This has been discussed to death (almost) here... ha ha
Some guy is selling replacement springs on ePay for $20!!!!
Bingo. 2 lb trigger and you can eliminate all the over-travel, with the screw!
Done it to all 6 of my Axis rifles.....

ron