PDA

View Full Version : Barrel installation - Lubrication

Bike Effects
12-05-2013, 03:33 AM
I'm getting ready to install my first barrel on my Savage PTA. What are people using as a thread lubricant IF ANY when installing a barrel on the action and the barrel nut?

missed
12-05-2013, 07:31 AM
I put a coating of neolube stainless fitting anti gall anti seize compound on mine.

FW Conch
12-05-2013, 12:04 PM
+1.... I use anti seize also.

BillPa
12-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm getting ready to install my first barrel on my Savage PTA. What are people using as a thread lubricant IF ANY when installing a barrel on the action and the barrel nut?

After cleaning the abutments, lug recesses ,barrel and nut threads a very light coat of Break-Free unless its stainless to stainless then a thin coating of anti-seize. I wet the nut face too.

Bill

sharpshooter
12-05-2013, 02:06 PM
A shot of WD-40 usually does it.

Bike Effects
12-07-2013, 02:43 AM
I put a coating of neolube stainless fitting anti gall anti seize compound on mine.

Where can Neolube be purchases? Google was no help.

efm77
12-07-2013, 07:58 AM
You can get anti seize grease at about any automotive store. That's what I use since stainless can gall. Put a thin coat on the threads and you're good to go.

missed
12-07-2013, 08:53 AM
I will have to look at work to see which neolube it is, I have had my bottle so long most of the writing is gone off it. Its probably overkill, but I want something that is rated for stainless since it can be a major pain if it galls.

stangfish
12-07-2013, 09:05 AM

That is interesting Fred. That is a product I hardly ever see anymore. I like anti-seize type products but they are a mess and often require extra cleaning on the exterior of the barreled action. Something is better than nothing for sure. I use Anti seize or mineral oil(3 in 1.)

The 400 series of stainless does not gall like the 300 series does. Feel for burrs. Clean your threads with a wire brush(not the kind on a drill or grinder) clean the threads in the action too and you should not have a problem. With lubricated threads and faces it is easy to get the torque up there without having to be a brute.

Bike Effects
12-07-2013, 10:51 AM
I will have to look at work to see which neolube it is, I have had my bottle so long most of the writing is gone off it. Its probably overkill, but I want something that is rated for stainless since it can be a major pain if it galls.

Would appreciate that.

OLEJOE
12-07-2013, 08:59 PM
+1.... I use anti seize also.

I do also.

RP12
12-07-2013, 09:13 PM
So the stainless actions barrels and nuts are softer than carbon steel ? Is that why your saying they gall ?

Teancum1
12-07-2013, 09:18 PM
My $0.02: Much as I like WD-40 for a lot of things, NOT for barrel lubricant. WD-40 is not a high-temperature lube. You might get away with it for moderate shooting, but if you ever think you are are likely to heat up your barrel, it just isn't designed for it. It will breakdown, char and lose its lubricating properties. Go to the autoparts store and spend $1 on the little foil pouch of anti-seize. After you spend $400 for the action, another $400 for the barrel and read all the problems guys have changing barrels and not being able to grip the barrel tight enough to keep it from turning in their vice, spend a buck and get the right lube for the job. When you do, it won't be a liquid. Free opinion from 35 years of chemical engineering and 45 years of shooting.

sharpshooter
12-07-2013, 09:49 PM

Free opinion from 35 years of gunsmithing and 35 years of competitive shooting, and thousands of barrel changes.:adoration:

efm77
12-08-2013, 09:03 AM
It has always been my understanding that stainless is harder than regular carbon steel but that probably depends on the grade. It can be more brittle though which may be a contributor.