PDA

View Full Version : Polish a Hog Hunter action?

sgt_jamez
12-04-2013, 02:35 PM
So my barrel, barrel nut, recoil lug, and trigger guard are all stainless steel. I'm wondering if anyone here has polished a hog hunter action? I've only Duracoated an action, but never tried removing a finish and polishing. Is this feasible? Not recommended? Any thoughts, tips, and pics would be greatly appreciated.

I just ordered a Hog Hunter yesterday for use in a 20 VT build. I've never viewed the rifle in person, so I don't know how the finish looks and feels.

sharpshooter
12-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Didn't know that they made a HOG HUNTER in stainless. Are you sure it's a HH? Are you sure it's stainless?

sgt_jamez
12-04-2013, 03:18 PM
My apologies for not stating my question more clearly. I don't yet have the Hog Hunter in hand, as I just placed the order with Bud's Guns yesterday. I know the HH has some kind of finish on it that I am considering removing and polishing the base metal to be more of a cosmetic match to the stainless steel parts. No, I am not sure the HH receiver is stainless steel.

I am asking how feasible/wise it would be to remove whatever finish the HH has and then polish it to a shine.

sharpshooter
12-04-2013, 07:21 PM
The hog hunters are shoot peened and blued. If you polish the finish off it will rust.

stangfish
12-04-2013, 08:04 PM
There are specialized gun coatings that look similar to stainless but it is not for someone who has not spent some time with projects like that.

Here is an example of Duracoat stainless.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/wetidlerjr/Colt%201911/COLT1991Mod111006.jpg

sgt_jamez
12-04-2013, 10:18 PM
I've done several Duracoat projects, but I suppose for the time being I'll leave the receiver as is.

Stangfish... are there certain pitfalls with doing a stainless coating as opposed to a flat dark earth? I've done a few variants of FDE.

stangfish
12-04-2013, 10:50 PM
I would say no pitfalls outside of the importance for the proper cure.