PDA

View Full Version : 6mm br dies

kish
12-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Planning on building a 6mm br rifle any recomendations for reloading dies I have a rock chucker press

bootsmcguire
12-04-2013, 02:16 PM
I have had great luck using a Lee Collet Die for 6ppc to size the necks. I have a Redding 6br body die for bumping shoulders as needed, and I just shortened a Lee Dead Length seater for a 243 to work with the 6br. Makes great ammo with that setup. Thought about switching the seater to a micrometer style from redding perhaps, but I haven't been using my 6br much this year so I haven't bothered.

kish
12-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I have had great luck using a Lee Collet Die for 6ppc to size the necks. I have a Redding 6br body die for bumping shoulders as needed, and I just shortened a Lee Dead Length seater for a 243 to work with the 6br. Makes great ammo with that setup. Thought about switching the seater to a micrometer style from redding perhaps, but I haven't been using my 6br much this year so I haven't bothered.

Are all reloading dies the same thread on the OD , I am not quite a newbie but close. Did some reloading for my 308 and 223 but never used collet dies, dont even know what they are for.....what are they?

sharpshooter
12-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Forget the collet dies, just get a Forster full length micrometer set.

kish
12-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Forget the collet dies, just get a Forster full length micrometer set.

will those fit the rcbs rock chucker?

tiny68
12-04-2013, 06:17 PM
I use a Redding full length S-type bushing die. That way I can adjust the neck tension in fine tuning reloads. I have them for several calibers and I am most pleased with this product. I have both a redding comp seater (w micrometer) and Wilson inline seater. Once I fine tune a load with the micrometer seater, I only use the Wilson die with an arbor press. I load most of my 6BR at the range during matches.

Luck, Tim

stangfish
12-04-2013, 06:50 PM
will those fit the rcbs rock chucker?

99% of the dies sold will fit in your rock chucker.

bootsmcguire
12-04-2013, 08:17 PM
99% of the dies sold will fit in your rock chucker.

Yup. Like stang said, 99% of all dies made utilize the 7/8"-14 threads.

Like sharpshooter said, the Foresters are nice. I started with the Collet dies at that time because they had treated me very well in all the standard calibers I had used them on so when I started loading for the 6BR it seemed like a logical choice. I have stuck with them because they just work for me and my barrel seems to like the ammo they make, and they are really simple to use.

The Collet dies are for sizing the neck only, and do not require the cases to be lubricated. Here is a link to the Collet Die page on Lee's website. http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/lee-collet-dies

Please explore all options when choosing your dies as opinions and personal preferences will vary. Also listen closely to sharpshooter and any advice he is willing to give as he is The Savage Expert and is full of experience and knowledge.

82boy
12-05-2013, 01:03 AM
If you want the best die money can buy, you don't have to break the bank. Just give Harrell's precision a call, and $70 latter you'll have a custom fit Full length die. It is hard to beat the Forster micrometer seater die, pair them up, and you'll have a winning combination. Save your self a bunch of headache's and pass on any and all lee dies.

kish
12-05-2013, 06:17 AM
i will check them all out Thank you all for the input. Would rather buy once, cry once. Looking at the lee and others site they dont specificly call out 6mmbr. Are they listed under a different name also

bootsmcguire
12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Lee doesn't catalog the 6br in a collet die. You must buy the die for the 6ppc. Due to the design of the collets it works just fine on the 6br. You must buy a seated for the 6br though. A Forester micrometer seater is a terrific choice as 82boy and sharpshooter stated above. If you want the absolute best do like they suggested but if you're like me and like the collet die then you'll need the one for the 6ppc.

Really a fair idea might be to get the Forrester set and add the collet die with them and you can have it for neck sizing if you end up preferring that route.