PDA

View Full Version : Who swears the most? The answer might surprise some of you.

thomae
12-04-2013, 10:30 AM
I heard about this on NBC news this morning, so I thought I'd post it because it is interesting. Interesting that the article actually is from May, 2013.
The article is copied from http://blog.marchex.com/2013/05/15/marchex-data-reveals-ohioans-curse-the-most-in-the-country-washingtonians-the-least/

I will carefully refuse to jump to any conclusions about any members of this forum from any particular state. :cool:

Here's the article:

Marchex Data Reveals Ohioans Curse the Most in the Country; Washingtonians the LeastBy Sonia Krishnan, Director of Corporate Communications for Marchex

Are you (expletive deleted)ing serious?
As a native Buckeye who’s lived in Washington for eight years, this was my first reaction to the data analysis released today by our Marchex Institute (http://www.marchex.com/marchex-institute), which found that people in Ohio curse the most in the country. Washingtonians, by contrast, curse the least. (WTF?)
The data also placed Ohioans in the Top 5 “Least Courteous” category. Apparently, residents there have a harder time saying “please” and “thank you,” which were the keywords that Marchex’s Call Mining technology scanned for when aggregating data on pleasantries.It’s fascinating stuff. And it coincides with National Etiquette Week, a seven-day ‘gentle reminder,’ if you will, to be civil and courteous to one another.
The Institute, Marchex’s data and research team, examined more than 600,000 phone calls from the past 12 months. The calls were placed by consumers to businesses across 30 industries, including cable and satellite companies, auto dealerships, pest control centers and more.
The Institute scanned for curse words from A to F to S. Analysts then linked the frequency of those words with all 50 states.
Following Washington in the “Goody Two Shoes” category – states where people are least likely to curse – were Massachusetts (2nd place), Arizona (3rd place), Texas (4thplace), Virginia (5th place).
Ranking behind Ohio in the “Sailors” category – states where people are most likely to curse – were: Maryland (2nd place), New Jersey (3rd place), Louisiana (4th place), Illinois (5th place).
Ohioans curse more than twice the rate of Washingtonians, according to the data. Washingtonians curse about every 300 conversations. Ohioans, on the other hand, swore about every 150 conversations.
The data also found that:

66% of curses come from men
The calls that contain the most cursing are more than 10 minutes long. So the longer someone is on the phone, the more likely that call is to devolve.
Calls in the morning are twice as likely to produce cursing as calls in the afternoon or evening.

The Institute also aggregated state-by-state data on who says “please” and “thank you” the most. The Top 5 “Most Courteous” states were: South Carolina (1st place), North Carolina (2nd place), Maryland (3rd place), Louisiana (4th place), and Georgia (5thplace).
(Anyone else sense a Southern hospitality theme here?)
Washington didn’t make the Top 5 for Most Courteous, but it did rank in the top third of the country for saying “please” and “thank you.”
The Top 5 “Least Courteous” states were: Wisconsin (1st place), Massachusetts (2ndplace), Indiana (3rd place), Tennessee (4th place), and Ohio (5th place).
This, I suppose, bears repeating: Ohio was the only state to find itself in the “Sailor” and “Least Courteous” categories.
“Ohio’s state slogan used to be ‘The Heart of it All,’” said John Busby, Senior Vice President of the Marchex Institute. “One could argue this data adds an extra layer of meaning to that phrase.”
You could also argue Ohioans are simply transparent, passionate people. Maybe we do curse a little more and maybe we don’t mind our Ps and Qs as much as we should. So what? At least you know how we feel.
So Washington, take your “Least Likely to Curse” title and allow me to remind you of two chilling words: Seattle Freeze (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Freeze).
‘Nuff said.
– Sonia Krishnan

http://marchexdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/cursing.gif

fgw_in_fla
12-04-2013, 12:43 PM
I recall in the 60's & 70's, folks here in Florida used to say good morning, hold the door open for each other at the store, help folks unsolicited. It was very different from where I grew up in NY.
I think we have too many Yankees here now. You see very little common courtesy. The reason I suspect we're getting yankee infested is from the 3 new curse words I learned recently at a crosswalk.

The guy was in such a hurry for me to get out of his way he started cursing at me. So, I just walked little slower.

missed
12-04-2013, 01:21 PM
****, whoops....

blackbart338-06
12-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Yankees ! really! are were still hung up on the civil war

missed
12-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Yes. :-) I would be cussing if I lived up there too!

fgw_in_fla
12-04-2013, 02:48 PM

Think of it as a "term of affection"....

And to answer your question, yes.
Californian by birth
Southern by the Grace of God....

I don't know what to put for the NY years.

JWW123
12-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Frank, dazed and confused for your time in NY

fgw_in_fla
12-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Frank, dazed and confused for your time in NY

I seldom talk about it & try not to think about it.

Funny thing though....
I really don't remember parts of the 60's and early 70's. I started visiting Florida in '67 when my uncle bought a house in Cocoa beach. The family used to take turns coming here. I always wanted to stay. The women in Cocoa beach may have played a small part there...

stangfish
12-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Back in the late 70's there was a mass migration to Texas. The personality of Texans changed forever. It was common knowledge that if you ever found yourself working with someone from Ohio or Pennsylvania you were going to have trouble. The arrogance and attitude was something new to us.

J.Baker
12-04-2013, 11:15 PM
This data is skewed - all it proves is that folks from Ohio really detest having their supper interrupted by some stupid telemarketer from Washington.

Hotolds442
12-05-2013, 01:18 AM
This data is skewed - all it proves is that folks from Ohio really detest having their supper interrupted by some stupid telemarketer from Washington.
Lmao

Dennis
12-05-2013, 01:56 AM

Situations like the above is when I turn into a northerner! LMAO

chukarmandoo
12-05-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't believe this at all. The %^$&ing people in Oregon are the worst. I went to Idaho last week and the people there were so **** nice it scared the hell out of me! and the people in Washington state, well they're just all stoned and don't care one way or the other.

Dennis
12-05-2013, 03:14 PM
South Louisiana, just depends what city you are in.