PDA

View Full Version : swithing from 260 to 260ai

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

foxx
03-25-2014, 09:42 PM
Thanks, Boots.

I have not yet had occasion to FL my 260AI. I have a Redding body die for that, but it's not an issue for me yet.

I am not concerned that the 260's would not chamber in the 260AI barrel if they had been fired once in the 260. I am keeping them for my true 260 barrel.

I am using Lapua 260 brass for the AI and reloading it just fine.

This was a long threaded subject a while ago. Dennis and Fred and others recommended the virgin brass for a new barrel and it worked. I am okay with that. The rest is pure academics, which is fine, but I am not going to solve it because I haven't the need. :)

foxx
03-25-2014, 09:47 PM
OKAY!!! :) I have to revisit this all later. It might make sense to me then. In the mean time I don't care. LOL Seriously.

You guys are great. But I did not intend to bring up an old problem. I will look into this later though. LOL

When I do, I hope you are still interested enough to help me when I have questions about it. :)

Hotolds442
03-25-2014, 09:48 PM
No problem, wasn't intending to stress you out, lol

foxx
03-25-2014, 09:53 PM
No. You didn't stress me out. I just have other shooting projects right now. I don't want YOU guys expecting me to pay attention and follow your advice right now. LOL

I'm telling you this out of RESPECT for you all, cuz I do not want you to think I am just blowing you off. :)

Hotolds442
03-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Close the thread and you'll leave us no choice hahaha

calib
03-25-2014, 10:48 PM
sorry fox, just wanted to know how the gauging went and if it shoots well

foxx
03-25-2014, 11:13 PM
I know. :)

It shoots well when I shoot it, but haven't been able to get out with it
because the weather has been so bad and I've been working on other projects.

and I know I need to look at this again in order to better understand the fundamentals of what all is going on with sizing and shoulder bumping.

Calib, I am eager to hear how yours works out. So far, everything I hear about the 260AI is good.

calib
03-26-2014, 08:11 AM
There are many good things about the ai, but for some applications it is better for the straight 260, like in quick cycling tactical/ sniper matches for more reliable loads. But i likr the ackleys so i went with it for a bolt gun that will be used for coyotes, deer, steel and what ever else may be within killing range that a 140 could take out. May add a suppressor to it down the road. I am looking at getting one that will go .30 down and have a quote for about 800 for stamp and can. We will see where it might fit into the budget.

calib
03-26-2014, 12:00 PM
My barrel ships today, cant wait to see it. Flutted #5 contour 27" long satin ss

calib
05-07-2014, 11:15 AM
does anyone have a 260ai hydro forming die?

the Ranger
05-08-2014, 01:29 PM
why not fire-form?

scope eye
05-08-2014, 01:44 PM
When I am fireforming, I add 1gr of powder to the load I intend on using, and it ends up forming the case, and maintains the velocity that I want from a non forming load, with no noticeable difference in accuracy, so if my normal load is 45gr of Varget I use 46gr of Varget, this allows me to use and enjoy the barrel without wasting it on fireforming, I am the first to admit it is not an exact science, but again there no noticeable difference in accuracy, as far as I am concerned anyway.

Dean

PS: There is still some fireforming involved, even when hydro forming cases.

calib
05-09-2014, 12:45 AM
i most likely will just fire form, was just seeing if anyone had a hydro die

emtrescue6
05-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Really? I been using FL dies for improved cartridges for well over 30 years. They're not any different than any other FL die.

Bill

Foxx...I also use just plan ole RCBS FL and Neck dies for my 257 Roberts AI with no problems....I realize this thread is forever old, but thought I'd chime in anyway.

foxx
05-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Foxx...I also use just plan ole RCBS FL and Neck dies for my 257 Roberts AI with no problems....I realize this thread is forever old, but thought I'd chime in anyway.

yeah, and I still get all "whigged-out" whenever I try to sort all this out! LOL (Look back a few threads). In any event, I now have a 260 and 2 260AI's and I am happy with each as long as I start with Virgin Lapua brass and keep them all segregated. SOme day I'll look this all over again. :)

emtrescue6
05-09-2014, 04:19 PM
yeah, and I still get all "whigged-out" whenever I try to sort all this out! LOL (Look back a few threads). In any event, I now have a 260 and 2 260AI's and I am happy with each as long as I start with Virgin Lapua brass and keep them all segregated. SOme day I'll look this all over again. :)

Yeah I ended up reading it all...I giggled ;) How'd you end up with a second 260AI...or dare I ask? hahahah I think a 260AI is on my short list by the way....along with the 250 Sav AI I am currently sourcing parts for for my daughters next rifle.

foxx
05-09-2014, 05:28 PM
I made the mistake of saying the 260air was a build for my wife. Then I decided I liked it so much I decided I would give Jim at Apache Gun Works a call and get one of his in a heavy sporter contour with a Boyds thumbhole. ..

emtrescue6
05-09-2014, 05:38 PM
I made the mistake of saying the 260air was a build for my wife. Then I decided I liked it so much I decided I would give Jim at Apache Gun Works a call and get one of his in a heavy sportier contour with a Boyds thumbhole. ..

Enough said....I guess that's the advantage of having a wife that's not interested in rifle shooting, just handguns...

calib
05-09-2014, 06:52 PM
i may be in the same boat here soon, i was making this rifle as a lighter (11 or less) weight hunting rifle that could tap a deer at 700 or so, but i think the fiance will like it a heck of a lot and if so i think that would be a great gun for her to shoot. she has shot 243ai, 22-250 ai and 7-300 win and likes all, but would like something that she could really handle well and i could pack for mulies in the hill country instead of my 7-300win that weighs rite at 15#

n4ue
05-20-2014, 05:22 PM
I just got a new Sportsman's Guide catalog. They have Savage 110 SS 280 AI bbl for $89.
No connection admin.....

ron