PDA

View Full Version : feeding issue....jam o matic

jaybic
12-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Hello All,

I am new to this site/forum (first post) and I have a feeding issue that I am hoping some of you fellas have seen before and may have some ideas on. I have a 22-250 Model 16 Weather Warrior with the Accustock and Accutrigger in it and here is the issue. pull the trigger, bolt the rifle and it jams with about 1/8 of an inch of brass showing. the round appears to be in a "nose down" attitude and the head of the case is not recessed back into the bolt face but riding high on the front of the bolt face(if that makes any sense). At first I thought it was me just short stroking the bolt or something but after repeated jams I realized that it would do this fast or slow bolting of the rifle. It almost seems as if the round is thrown up against the top(roof) of the action and the bolt is picking it up on the way down as it moves forward. This is a centerfeed rifle and my local smith told me to order a new mag spring and the little metal box that goes up inside the stock and that should cure it....ideas? thoughts?

I have tried bending/stretching the original spring and that does not help. I would also consider converting it to a DBM setup. I leave on a 10 day coyote hunting trip in about 2.5 weeks and am hoping to find resolution. The rifle is a stellar shooter but this is ridiculous and has me thinking about a new rifle?

any and all ideas are welcome as I am all out of them. Thanks much for your time effort.

Jamie

sharpshooter
12-03-2013, 01:49 AM
Probably has the wrong magazine box. The 22-250 is slightly different from the standard .243/.308 box. Most of the time they will feed from either.

Dennis
12-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Jamie, sharpshooter is the best, but have you tried single loading the 22-250, just put a round on top of the magazine and then chamber it. I am just curious to see how this works. It's not going to solve anything but my curiosity.

Dennis

missed
12-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Kinda sounds like what happens when I put my 308 mags in my 22-250. The feed lips are like a 1/4" longer than the 308 mags. Is it a bling mag?

multitoes
12-03-2013, 02:14 PM
I agree ; this happens often to me when I use my 308 DBM testing loads for 22-250 case based rounds -- because the 308 mag is handy....
Also, call Savage ; they should help you with this.

Kinda sounds like what happens when I put my 308 mags in my 22-250. The feed lips are like a 1/4" longer than the 308 mags. Is it a bling mag?

jaybic
12-03-2013, 10:00 PM
It is just the stock blind mag with the hinged floor plate that t he 16 WW comes with so unless they installed the wrong mag from the start, I have no idea whats going on with it. I was thinking about ordering a DBM upgrade kit I seen at Sharpshooter Supply so I emailed those folks and am just waiting to hear back. single feeding seems fine but anything after that, it may jam, it may not but it is certainly not reliable.

multitoes
12-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Does the mag box have a curve/flair to the outside on the lips in front ?
If not, it is a 308 mag and is wrong.
Call Savage ; they will send you a new mag box -- they did for me.
Also, you can order the DBM parts you need from the Savage store if you don't hear back from SSS.

FishinFool
12-04-2013, 04:29 PM
I find the "Feeding" (ha, ha) from my fairly new .223 DBM "BTCSS" model to be absolutely HORSE-SH**! Luckily, I am a manual single-loader for groups, but if I was to count on this thing to feed rounds from the DBM I would be exceedingly Pissed..

My observation is that the Follower has ZERO resistance to Tipping Very Badly when putting 3 in the box and is almost Useless at delivering correctly aligned cartridges to the barrel when the bolt is cycled. Absolutely the Worst "feeding" rifle I have Ever Shot... They almost ALWAYS end-up "skying" into the hood of the barrel and missing the chamber.

Like I Said...It's a good thing I place each round in the chamber or I would be RIP-SH** Otherwise...I LOVE THIS THING!

7.62nato
12-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Ive got an International Hunter XP 7mm08 center feed detachable mag. From time to time, the shoulder of the round gets caught up on the underside upper part of the receiver opening(not sure if this is what its called) and jams up. Fast or slow, it does it at random. Cant figure out why its doing it other than the fact that the shoulder angle doesnt like the receiver. If I manually chamber, i must insert the round until the shoulder passes the receiver top opening. If I just place it on top of the mag and push the bolt, it will jam. Seems like its feeding it at a steeper angle than suppose to.

SlimySquirrel
12-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Man.... I have had this on both my SA rifles. Seems that the mag is too long for the round and has too much space unless you are seating projectiles way out there and unless you hand load then there is an issue!
The 22-250 is better than my .223 but even still, it jams from time to time and it happens when you least want it to on follow up shots!
Thats probably me short stroking but even still maybe a spacer might help in the back of the mag?