PDA

View Full Version : Release agent with Devcon

KTP
12-02-2013, 10:01 PM
What have you used as a release agent with Devcon when using to bed stocks ? Anyone used Pam cooking oil spray? I have used it on other bedding compounds.

trappst
12-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Neutral color Kiwi shoe polish....works great, nothing else needed

Oh, use regular masking tape too. Devcon tends to stick to blue painters tape, regardless of release agent

barrel-nut
12-02-2013, 10:11 PM
+1 on what trappst said. Works great.

KTP
12-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Appreciate the masking tape advice. I would have never known that. I have always used blue tape. Thx!

trappst
12-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Welcome! Tape isn't a huge issue, but it can make clean up easier.

LoneWolf
12-02-2013, 10:22 PM
I used spray on carnuba car war by turtle wax without issue.

barrel-nut
12-02-2013, 11:40 PM
I like the blue tape because it doesn't leave any residue on the stock. Put the shoe polish on the tape too where contact with Devcon is likely. It shouldn't stick.

KTP
12-03-2013, 10:34 AM
I have always used blue tape on my bedding jobs. Makes it easier and release has never been an issue but I've never used Devcon.

squirrelsniper
12-03-2013, 11:10 AM
I use the spray-on release agent I bought from Brownell's (it's lasted quite a while). I always use good (3M) masking tape that the release agent won't effect too much. In my experience Devcon isn't any more or less picky about release agents and tapes than any other good bedding compound. As always just use clay to plug up those holes and slots that could become mechanical locks.

trappst
12-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Shouldn't stick.......that's what I thought too. Even with the release agent on the blue painters tape, it still stuck. As I said, it's not a huge issue but makes the clean up a little more time consuming. If you're really worried about residue from the masking tape, put blue tape on the stock and masking tape over that......then release agent.

I've never used blue tape on the recoil lug so can't comment on the effects there. I wouldn't chance it with devcon though.

BillPa
12-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I use vinyl electrical tape on the recoil lugs. Clean the lug with rubbing alcohol, apply the tape then coat it with the Kiwi or Johnson's paste wax along with everything else.

Another trick. In places like where the recoil lug meets the ring use a acid brush to work the release in.

I don't put tape on the exterior of the stock. I remove any goop the oozes out with a popsicle stick sanded to a square chisel edge to get the most of it off then use Q-Tips to remove what's left. The only cleanup after the goop cures is breaking the edge of the bedding with a file so you don't scratch the action putting it back in.

Oh, add and mix a few drops of vegetable oil in the clay, plumber's putty or PLay-Doh which ever you use.. It will make it much easier to remove during the cleanup. Using a pick it generally pops out in one lump.

Bill

foxx
12-03-2013, 03:45 PM
LRP-- I've used PAM . It works as a release agent, but I did not like the gritty texture left on the surface of the Devcon when all was said and done. The gritty texture led me to think it did not make for a good match to the receiver when reassembled. I re-did it with KIWI and it came out better. I am guessing the action was therefore "closer/tighter" to the bedding. Maybe I applied it too heavy, I do not know.

BillPa-- Great idea about adding oil to the putty. My biggest issue has always been cleaning up the danged putty mess when done. I am eager to try what you suggested.

KTP
12-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Foxx I've used the Pam as well with the same results. Went away from it for that reason. I've also used the release that comes with accuraglass kits and it works very well too.

foxx
12-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Foxx I've used the Pam as well with the same results. Went away from it for that reason. I've also used the release that comes with accuraglass kits and it works very well too.

The accraglass release worked good for me, too. Very smooth. The only problem I have with it is I can't tell where I have applied it and where I haven't. Then I end up either using too much or missing spots. Missing spots is not good. I had a heck of a time getting my 25-06 action to let go of the devcon where I missed putting down the release agent... had to break it free, then used a dremel to grind it off the action. Now it needs to be re-blued or Duracoated. I plan to Duracoat it in the spring (too cold to do it in the garage now)

Dummos
12-14-2013, 06:50 AM
Yep kiwi boot polish or "nugget" as it is called here in aus works a treat

JMGlasgow
12-24-2013, 01:02 AM
Kiwi neutral

Artpro
01-09-2014, 08:45 PM
I've used Kiwi neutral shoe polish for years. I apply with an old toothbrush and heat the metal with a hair dryer to make it flow evenly.
Let it cool before bedding.

rossman40
01-11-2014, 06:58 PM
I've used Kiwi for many years but have started using Meguiars carnauba paste wax. With Kiwi I was taught if you can see it, it's on too thick. With the paste it is rub on, let it dry then a light buff.

WYcoyote
01-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Kiwi neutral

Another vote from me.