PDA

View Full Version : 110 FCP-HS 338 Lapua

Pages : [1] 2

RyanMeyerhofer
12-02-2013, 02:03 PM
So I have taken out 2 scopes already on my 338 Lapua 2 NC Stars, I know there not a good quality scope and I need to step up for the Lapua I was wanting to get some suggestions on what you good people recommend, currently im looking at Mark 4 ER/T 8.5-25x50mm M5 TMR or a Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA I keep hearing get a Nikon from my friends but I have had ALOT of issues with Nikons I have owned in the past if anyone can give some reviews on these scopes or tell me what they run on there Lapua's id appreciate it I like FFP so it kind of rules out Nightforce

TacBlade
12-10-2013, 12:06 AM
I have the Vortex HS LR 6-24x50 on mine and I Love it!!!

stangfish
12-10-2013, 02:51 AM
Sounds like you purchased another NC Star after you had issues with them so whats the beef with Nikon. It makes no sense to be purchasing the least expensive Nikon, subject it to the forces of a magnum and then give a reputable company a bad rap for exposing it to the wrong application. (A Monarch tactical may be the ticket.)The fact is, if you are going to shoot a gun like that mounting the least expensive model a manufacturer distributes is kind of silly. Those inexpensive scopes are notorious for failures when exposed to recoil of much lesser calibers.

A rifle with the recoil you are experiencing requires a scope that can handle it. Nikon makes them, just not in the bottom line. The post above proves the HS line of the vortex can handle it. Bushnell even makes them, again not in their bottom line. Feeding that monster is not inexpensive and scoping it isn't going to be either. Look at other rifles like yours and see what they are wearing. It is not due to the owner being a scope snob, the recoil demands it.

Don't be a cheap scape. Man up and purchase a scope built for that chambering. Buy once cry once. If you just have to do it cheap your only option is a 20X SFA super sniper. You can probably get a new one shipped to you for under 330 bucks TTL. Call Skylar over there and ask him. They advertize they can handle a 50 cal., and give a lifetime transferable warranty. I have not seen a disappointed customer yet. I have a couple and am pleased.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P502.aspx

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53716.aspx

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

RyanMeyerhofer
12-10-2013, 04:10 AM
The NC stars are what I had laying around in my shop broke the first one and was in a hurry to get my test loads finished up and stole the second one off of my 17 to finish out my load development..

The beef with the Nikon is I had one on a 14lb 308 and it wouldn't hold zero at all I sent it back to Nikon they said it was perfect and sent it back so I tried it on my 223 that is a tack driver with the leupold that is usually on it and the scope still wouldn't hold zero.

I have no problem spending the money on a Leupold just curious what people are running on there Lapua's

bodywerks
12-11-2013, 02:57 PM
The 338lm has eaten up a few vortex scopes as well. Leopold, nightforce, swfa are my recommendations.

Tim300wsm
12-11-2013, 05:25 PM
check out the sightron SIII Im putting one on my 300 wsm and have one on a 204 the glass is amazing

efm77
12-11-2013, 08:05 PM
I've heard of them eating some Leupold's and even higher ends than that before too though I'm sure it's less frequent. About any decent scope from a Nikon Buckmasters on up should work fine. It could be a crap shoot even with better quality scopes on the really big boomers. I think what eats the scopes is more the concussion from the muzzle break than the actual recoil itself. A lot of brakes direct the gas back somewhat towards the shooter and the concussion waves hit the scope pretty hard. I've hear of a lot of lenses coming loose because of that.

RP12
12-11-2013, 11:38 PM
I've heard of them eating some Leupold's and even higher ends than that before too though I'm sure it's less frequent. About any decent scope from a Nikon Buckmasters on up should work fine. It could be a crap shoot even with better quality scopes on the really big boomers. I think what eats the scopes is more the concussion from the muzzle break than the actual recoil itself. A lot of brakes direct the gas back somewhat towards the shooter and the concussion waves hit the scope pretty hard. I've hear of a lot of lenses coming loose because of that.And a lot of fillings.:p

chukarmandoo
12-12-2013, 01:07 AM
I've seen other threads about scopes not holding up on these guns and one thing that was mentioned was the fact that the brake has a double action to it. The initial recoil and then the forward push. This has the effect of a spring loaded air rifle. We all know how well a regular scope holds up one of these.

RyanMeyerhofer
12-12-2013, 03:40 AM
I agree that is probably the muzzle break taking them out, my usual shooting buddy refuses to spot for me when i get the lapua out... says it feels like he is getting punched in the face...

efm77
12-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Yeah the quick shift in direction of recoil from the brake could do it too, that's a good point. I'd be curious to see how an airgun scope would hold up on one. They supposedly have reinforcement on both sides of the lenses etc. in them so they are able to endure the reverse action as well.

stangfish
12-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Yes, The recoil reduction is hard on the internals. It is actually from acceleration and deceleration. The rifle is influenced by coefficient of restitution and the g's are amplified by the scopes conservation of momentum. Simply put, deceleration is the culprit.

yobuck
12-13-2013, 08:46 PM
I agree that is probably the muzzle break taking them out, my usual shooting buddy refuses to spot for me when i get the lapua out... says it feels like he is getting punched in the face...
tell your buddy to sit behind you not next to you.
take it to the bank that good scopes hold up and junk dosent. no way to sugar coat that remark.

390fe
12-15-2013, 10:58 AM
I've just purchased the SS10x42 from SWFA.com. I'm highly impressed with the scope for the money, it's rated for the .50 cal (with or without a brake) and it's got a mil-spec heritage.

fartsinpublic
12-17-2013, 11:30 PM
I recently put a 16x42 SWFA SS on my 308 Tikka T3 Tactical, and it has a Grizzly Gun Works muzzle brake and redirector on it.

Working great so far.

:thumb:

efm77
12-18-2013, 11:59 AM
"take it to the bank that good scopes hold up and junk dosent. no way to sugar coat that remark."

True enough. But the point I was making is that even with the good ones, it's not impossible for these big boomers with brakes to rattle them loose as well. I recall reading an article in Rifle Magazine, IIRC about the 338 Lapua Savage model 110. I'll have to see if I still have it to get all the specifics but I remember the writer saying it ate 1 or 2 $1000+ scopes. I believe he finally got a Leupold Mark 4 to stay together on it. IIRC he didn't name the brands of the other ones but like I said it's been a while since I read that. I'll see if I still have the article.

luvmy45
12-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Take a look at the bushnell elite tactical scopes. I put a 3-21x50 on my savage 338, with the g2 reticle. It's a good combo, good value and decent glass with a great reticle.

The next on one up the 4.5-30 is even better but the cost goes up.

I've shot my 338 over a mile with this scope setup, no complaints.

Mike220
12-18-2013, 08:22 PM
I run the mark 4 with the 1/10mil turrets. I like rhe tmr reticle that It doesnt meet In the middle lends itself good for paper punching to. The viper you listed would be my second choice. Go with the mrad reticle instead of moa. Both scopes are glass etched and should hold up.Ive put well over 1k down my. 308 and havnt had any issues. .338 will have a bit more;) lol

oneissuevoter
12-20-2013, 03:46 PM
SWFA 10x

RyanMeyerhofer
12-27-2013, 02:47 AM
Still debating between the Vortex and the Leupold but the Leupold is in the lead