PDA

View Full Version : Used 112

olsmokey
02-27-2010, 05:51 PM
My brother dropped off a Long action single shot serial #F191XXX. With a tupperware stock. It is a heavy barrel chambered in 22-250. He knows nothing about the gun. Took it in on a trade. [He's a Rem. lover and doesn't want an old savage hanging around.] So he wants to push it off on me. My lucky day. The barrel is stamped 112. Upon close look the first no. 1 appears a little crooked, like it was stamped later by hand. Could this barrel have been made for a short action and someone put it on this action? Someone had screwed around with the screws on adj. trigger and the safety didn't work. The action screw spacing is 5''. Maybe this was a build rifle??? Anyway, I would like to know how old this thing is and the proper procedure for adjusting the trigger.[3 screws] And maybe some kind of idea what it's worth. thanks Dave

docsleepy
02-27-2010, 08:48 PM
I can't imagine why any consumer upon changing the barrel, would give a hoot about what was stamped on it. I would hazard a guess that they have a "12" stamp at the factory for short actions, and a "1" to add to it if it is a long? Or else they just slipped.

Locally, that would go for $400+ used I think at the gun shops. I don't know what you can get for it online. The useful part for some is that it is SINGLE shot. (stiffer). Doesn't have accutrigger, and the stock is worth $10. Until you shoot it or borescope it, you won't know much about the barrel.

(kidding) I'll certainly give you $50 for the action!

82boy
02-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Back before Savage made the short action, everything was on a long action. I would say the gun is original. My bet is that the gun is a 1 in 14 twist. The 112 was the original varminter gun.
For information on adjusting the trigger look in the FAQs section.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,19414.0.html

olsmokey
02-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys, I think your right about it being original. It is probably old enough that all the single shots were put on long actions. Can you tell by the serial no. when it was made? Went and made the trigger adjustments, works fine now. It has a 6x18 Burris fulfield on it that is canted severely. I,m gonna straighten it out, give it a good cleaning and see how it shoots. Doc; I'll tell him about your offer. I'm sure that will get a chuckle. Where would one go to find a stock for that action? I'll check that twist rate and see if your right 82. Since I sent my swift to shaw for a new barrel, I might have to trade him out of this thing so I have something to shot PD with this spring. Maybe I can find a swift barrel to stick on this thing so I don't have to load diff. ammo. Might have to give Jim a call.

82boy
02-28-2010, 04:28 PM
If the action screw spacing is 5.062 from center to center than it is a true long action , and any long action stock will fit it.
If the action screw spacing is 4.522 center to center than it is a first gen short action coined as a "J" action. This would take a special made stock.
To find out what year it was made give the SSN to mad dog in a PM and he will tell you.
You can shoot factory ammo in a 1 in 14 twist, This was the industry standard for many years, and there is still barrel and gun makers doing this. The 14 twist do go as long as you keep the bullet weight around 55 gr and under.
Being a single shot did not dictate that it would be one a long action, Savage did not have a true short action until around 1988, this is when the two digit numbers came in, before that everything was based on a 110. Single shot guns are a bit more desirable, but they are usually warped more from the heat treatment process. There has been no proof that they are any more accurate than a repeater action.

The stock can be very valuable depending on what it is. Savage used few different stocks on the 112 series, and some of them are nice. The BT stock looks like a newer VLP stock, it is laminate with a low profile, they usually have a adjustable cheek piece. These are mostly found on guns that have the bolt marked "Competition." One of the other stocks used has stippling on the forearm, and the grip area, they are usually made of a light colored wood. It is also a lower profile stock. IMO they are both tons better than most of the stocks Savage is presently putting on guns.

I have been looking for a single shot action, and the reason is not that it is any better, but if I had one I would drill the back action screw a bit forward, and use a model 40 trigger guard. You may ask why I would do such a thing and the reason is because it would give the gun a full rear pillar, basically what Savage did on their dual port action.

olsmokey
03-02-2010, 06:10 PM
While cleaning this thing I decided to check twist rate and found it's a 1-14. How long ago did they quit makeing a 1-14 in 22-250?

82boy
03-03-2010, 12:41 AM
I don't know for sure, but I would say the change happened in the mid eighties.