PDA

View Full Version : trouble with fireing pin

02-27-2010, 05:38 PM
I bought a model 12 varminter a few mounths ago and am havivg about 5% misfires. all shot after recocking and firing again. this with 3 different types of primers. I was at the range again today and again had 2 misfires with this gun only. shot 2 other rifles and no problems. I have been reloading for 40 years and maybe had 2 or 3 misfires in that time. This is my third savage had no trouble with the others. has anyone here had any problems like this.

Thanks

LeeH
02-27-2010, 07:29 PM
If you are able....check the firing pin protrusion.

docsleepy
02-27-2010, 08:39 PM
New or used?

I bought a used savage at a gunshop and was horrified when I disassembled the bolt and found rust everywhere inside. It did clean up pretty reasonably and oiled, it works fine now (for my purposes).

If you have a set of calipers that can measure depth, measure the depth of the bolt recess (where the head of the cartridge goes). Then "fire" the bolt by using the edge of a kitchen counter or piece of wood to move the black pin back near the bolt handle. Then measure the depth to the tip of the firing pin, subtract.

The spec folks say to use is .052, but I've set mine back to about .045 and they still fire fine. It's adjustable. There is a "how-to" on this site.

Most likely you have crud inside the bolt. There are disassembly instructions on this site. Including pictures. You'll need them!

gordon

02-27-2010, 08:56 PM
this a new rifle if i take the bolt apsrt will it void the warrenty

docsleepy
02-28-2010, 12:36 AM
!! are you shooting it with reloads? Sure would seem that reloads would void a warranty a lot faster than diassembly of a bolt.
But if it is a new gun, I'd recommend that you try some factory ammunition, note the results, and then call the factory. They are evidently very helpful if you have a problem. That would be simpler than going after it yourself.

Others on the site may have other advise on a new gun (I've never had a new savage) but I'd sure call the factory if it won't fire store-bought UMC Remington's, and that will only cost you $20 to find out.

My used action has never failed to light off EVERYTHING. Not a single failure to fire so far. Store bought, reloads (WSR and Fiocchi primers), PMC, Remington, Winchester. Perfect.

Savage has a reputation of standing behind their products.
gordon

docsleepy
02-28-2010, 12:42 AM
There's one other thing you should check however.
If you get the accutrigger set too lightly, it WILL misfire, and when you start to pull the trigger all you get is a little "ick" and it doesn't fire. That's becuase it ALREADY had a release of the sear, and the accutrigger blade is holding it (I believe). This is a royal pain in the rear and has happend to me multiple times (and anyone else who adjusted an accutrigger too lightly). The setting on the trigger can change over time as well. The rifle should have come with a little adjustment tool. You can read how to adjust. Generally requries removing the rifle from the stock. One turn (closwise I blieve) on the spring should make a world of difference if this is the real problem.

You can diagnose it by looking at the cocking indicator. If it is in a "middle" position when your "misfire" occurs, what you have really had is an accutrigger premature rlease. Once you recognize it, it is no problem to fix.

If you loose the little adjuster, you can just turn the spirng by hand.
On my modified rifle in a different stock, I went with a bigger rear screw so I can reach the spring by simply removing the rear screw.

Take a look at the instructions.
gordon

02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
thanks i'll check that out. this is the first accutrigger i have shot, so i don't how they are suppose to feel but it does seem real light.

thanks for your help

vermonter
02-28-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm betting that Gordon is right!

sharpshooter
03-01-2010, 12:03 AM
They don't "line up" the flutes....fluting is done after the barrel is installed on the receiver. The fixture indexes off the raceways in the receiver.

03-13-2010, 03:03 PM
I backed off the adjustment on the accutrigger about 1/2 turn and this seems to have solved the problem. Thanks for the advice.

docsleepy
03-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Great! Had that happen to me once in a club tourney....drives you NUTS to get a shot set up and "click" nothing happens.

I've had it migrate a bit over time, also. You may have to readjust at some point.