PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 XP trophy hunter accuracy issues

jersurf101
12-01-2013, 12:00 AM
All,

I bought the Savage XP trophy hunter in .308 Win as a base platform for a good hunting/precision rifle. I have a fair amount of .308 and am set up to reload for it so I chose the Savage as my .308 bolt gun. it came with the Nikon prostaff 3-9 scope and was a very fair price. I love the weight of the rifle(although adding a pound two to the stock would not offend me) and the action is good and smooth. Over all I like the ergonomics and fit/finish of this rifle. The accutrigger is amazing.

My problem is that it is not getting good accuracy. I have tried bullets in 150, 168, and 180gr with factory and my hand loaded ammunition. One group will be sub MOA with the next at 3-4 inches. It is also quite sensitive to different ammunition.The POI shift a lot with diffferent ammo. Like up to 8 " left and right. Never had these issues with my Weatherby but maybe some rifles are just picky.

I want to try the scope on my AR and rule that out as an issue.

Other than that I think I need to start with the stock. It is pretty flimsy and I have been researching a new one. My first question is does anyone make an aftermarket stock that works with the bottom bolt release and the DBM? If not does anyone make aftermarket bottom metal or do I have to get that from Savage?

Other than that can I stiffen the forearm of the existing stock so that it will not touch the barrel?

Any responses are appreciated, thx.

missed
12-01-2013, 01:17 AM
Getting the barrel not to touch the stock is going to be the first place to start.

bootsmcguire
12-01-2013, 02:42 AM
+1

Free float the barrel, and I would also check the scope bases. If they are factory issue often times the screws securing them bottom out and feel tight when the base itself is still a bit loose, often giving erratic groupings.

Also you didn't mention it either way, but don't overclean your factory Savage barrels. The majority of them shoot much better if they are a little bit dirty.

Also I think Boyds started offering stocks to fit that configuration, or they are planning to. Might give their website a good once-over.

7.62nato
12-01-2013, 02:43 AM
I had an edge and currently a trophy xp mod 16. I noticed that my rings and bases were loose from factory on the edge so I tightened them up. First thing I did on my trophy xp was the tighten up and surprisingly the rear base was fairly loose. Both were package series. You may want to check there also.

stangfish
12-01-2013, 02:59 AM
Hard to duplicate a 308 bolt recoil using a 5.56 in a semi auto platform. It's hard to believe we have another XP(scope package) with accuracy issues.

Mach2
12-01-2013, 08:20 AM
What rings come with the package rifles?
When shooting a sporter barrel I like to keep the barrel at similar temps so I'm not comparing cold shots with blistering blue hot barrel temps. A hot barrel gives wider groups. Sporter barrels shoot better when cold. Shooting a box of ammo really heats a barrel. It would burn your hand.
If you want moa consistantcy from a package rifle you need to get some decent rings and verify all the screws are tight. That gets you where you can check out the scope. It's always a process zeroing a rifle. Don't buy package rifles if you want precision out the box.
It is best to buy rifles and scopes separately for precision to occur.

Toyoda
12-01-2013, 06:59 PM
My buddy's trophy hunter xp in .308 had the same issue. I found the bases weren't very tight, neither were the rings where they mount to the base.
Locktighted and torqued down, shoots great.

jersurf101
12-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks guys my scope bases had loosened during shooting. It looks like the there should bee better mounts than the piccatiny rails. I also looked in the thread on stiffening the axis stock and that looks like a good idea until I can get the stock I want. I appreciate all of the responses.

I realize this rifle will not be a one holer out of the box but wanted better than 3-4 MOA out of a brand new rifle. There are definitely some easy fixes.

les strat
12-04-2013, 03:15 PM
The Weaver bases on my 110 30-06 had worked loose since last year. I ended up going with a DNZ one-piece mount and RED locktite. No bases and separate rings. All one piece. Not as much to go wrong and is solid as you can get.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q706/bonehead911/DNZ_zps19ee776c.jpg