PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: BTVS NOT SHOOTING

Pages : [1] 2

tomcat220t
08-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi guys,im new this site and am need of some advice .I have a new BTVS and is grouping really bad (3-5") at 50 yards.Tried every thing but notthing seems to help .This is my second savage from the gun shop in two weeks with the same dissapointing results. Any help would be greatfull.

Cycler
08-20-2009, 09:06 PM
If this is the second rifle with the same results I think it's safe to conclued it's something beside the rifle. What scope are you using and has it been checked on a rifle of known accuracy?

stevec
08-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Welcome! your in the right place!

I agree with Cycler. I have owned quite a few Savages (7 I think) and have bought a lot of barrels. Only one had any problems. I would try a different scope. or try that scope on another rifle that you know shoots well.

What kind of rest, bench, scope are you using.

Steve

tomcat220t
08-21-2009, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the replays ,lads.Tried two different leupolds target scopes and mounts .15 different brands of ammo .Laupa max score ,gave me a 20mm group (at best) at 50 yards.Within 2 days i put 1500 rounds through it to see if that would help ,but no better.Touqued the action scews .The barrel is free floating !While i returned my first BTVS for the one i have now a third BTVS was returned with the same problems .I do a lot of .22lr shooting and used to own a CZ .22lr before the BTVS.The CZ was a light barrel that shoot a ragged hole at 50yards with almost every type of ammo .Has anyone ever managed to make a shooter out of a BTVS that shoot so bad from the factory ?I sent it to a top gunsmith last week and asked him to pillar and glass bed it .Also he is putting an 11* target crown on it too .

pdog06
08-21-2009, 09:57 AM
My BTVS shot fine from the factory, and keeps getting better with more rounds down it. I will also say though that it shoots better the dirtier the barrel is. If I clean it it will take atleast 30 rounds for it to settle back in, but even then it'll stay inside an inch at 50.

It surprises me that you'd have a gunsmith do all that work on it instead of calling Savage and letting them fix it or replace it for free.

How was the factory crown on it? One member here had a problem with the crown on a new rimfire.

Elkbane
08-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Are you using the same scope mounts? Same rings? I can't imagine 3-5" groups at 50 yards unless there is some fairly gross mechanical issue. If you know your scopes are good, I'd set the rifle in a vice and push laterally on the scope obj bell and see if you get any deflection. My guess is there is something loose in the mount/action or mount/ring connection.

Elkbane

tomcat220t
08-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I living in ireland so sending back the rifle would take too long ,IMO.Mounts ,scope ,and shooter have been changed with no improvment .Having read the review on the savage web site i was really sure i would have been impressed with the BTVS.If it shoots when i get it back from the smith i will be more than happy .IMO its one of the best looking .22lr on the market .I sent 15 different test groups to savage last week so lets see what they say on their replay .One thing the smith do show me on was the crown was a little off square .Very slight ,so lets hope thats the problem .Im thinking that there was just an unlucky bad batch sent to ireland .

LG
08-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Are you using the same scope mounts? Same rings? I can't imagine 3-5" groups at 50 yards unless there is some fairly gross mechanical issue. If you know your scopes are good, I'd set the rifle in a vice and push laterally on the scope obj bell and see if you get any deflection. My guess is there is something loose in the mount/action or mount/ring connection.

Elkbane

+1

Check the bases and rings thoroughly. Perhaps the bases are undersized (allowing some lateral play even when the rings are tightened all the way).

tomcat220t
08-22-2009, 04:49 AM

Elkbane

+1

Check the bases and rings thoroughly. Perhaps the bases are undersized (allowing some lateral play even when the rings are tightened all the way).
Thanks for that LG ,but mounts have been cheaked recheaked and changed twice .Could the crown been off centre that little bit make it shoot so bad?

82boy
08-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Try a different scope.

tomcat220t
08-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Try a different scope.

I had 2 nearly new leupold target scopes on it and exact results .Remember ,the lapua score max gives the best results at 20mm groups .If the 2 scopes were wrong the lapua would be out there with all the other brands (3-5") groups.Its without doubt a problem with the rifle .Over here in ireland the BTVS costs 250-300 euro more expensive than the CZ varmint .22lr ,so you can see why i was very dissapointed with it not shooting .If there is not a problem with the factory barrel my gun smith should be able to fix the rest and get it shooting for me .Anyway thanks for all your suggestions so far and if anyone has any more ideas what could be wrong i would be more than greatfull .

LG
08-22-2009, 09:25 PM
It's always frustrating to get a new gun and have problems with it.

Did your smith borescope the barrel? How does the rifling look?

Hopefully it will shoot better after the bedding job and re-crowning. Please keep us posted.

sharpshooter
08-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Call Savage and insist on talking to Ron Coburn, he is a green card carrying Irishman. If he won't make it right, no one will.

tomcat220t
08-23-2009, 11:32 AM
It's always frustrating to get a new gun and have problems with it.

Did your smith borescope the barrel? How does the rifling look?

Hopefully it will shoot better after the bedding job and re-crowning. Please keep us posted.

My first BTVS had really course .Also the lands looked shallow . Pushing a patch through would shread some times .The second BTVS seems a lot better but machine marks can be easly be seen around the crown area .The smith said he would cheak the bore and lap it, if it was needed .I should know this week when i get it back .Does there be any make of ammo that the BTVS likes over others ?Maybe u.s made?

CL1KKL4C
08-26-2009, 10:00 PM
as far as ammo goes mine loves Wolf MT and SK standard. On the less expensive side I get great results from Eley Sport and Remington Subsonic HP's as well. Hope your groups tightens up.

-Art

tomcat220t
09-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Gun smith cotacted me today and said the job was finished and would be test firing it on monday .He asked ,as to how accurate theses guns should be ? Since i have not seen another btvs shoot over here i guessed it should be around a quarter inch at 50 yards with all that work done to it .Maybe im been a bit hopefull ??He seem to think so .Can anyone fill me in as to what he should be getting on groups at 50 yards?

tomcat220t
09-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Got my BTVS back from the gunsmith today !Been a top gunsmith he charged accordinglly ,450 euro !Worth every penny ,it shoots a ragged hole now with 5 shot groups :o :o.Shoot 10 x5shot groups this evening and all were under quarter inch at 50 yards .Even my gunsmith was shocked at the accuracy after his work . :)Ill post some pictures soon !

viper9696
09-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Am I reading this correct,450 euro ($650 us) to bed it and crown it? ??? :o

tomcat220t
09-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Got it bedded,recrowned,tapped and capped for silencer,pillar bedded and freefloated .Also supplied a silencer (50 euro),so bill on the work was 400 euro .The gunsmith i used knows how to charge but as you can see it now shoots .Had it at the range again today and with CCI sub HP,got lots of half inch (5 shoots)and smaller at 70 yards . Some 1 hole 3 shoot groups at 70 yards also .The gun was worth notthing to me the way it was shooting so even with the extra money spent ,im happy now.What would smiths charge over with your selves for that work ?

viper9696
09-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Pillar Bed and Free Float Barrel - $150
Re-Crown - $40
and most places charge $90-$100 to thread ,I can get it threaded and capped for $25 ;D

you guys have great deals on silencers ,$200 + and we have to pay another $200 tax stamp to the Government for each one :(