PDA

View Full Version : Rear bag???

Cat 64
11-30-2013, 10:28 AM
I would like to get some advise and eventually some pictures of good rear bags for an original Savage 12 F Class stock. I read a lot about Protektor...Edgewood...but even with those there are multiple choices and ear spacing and sizes. Thank you

stangfish
11-30-2013, 04:03 PM
I've seen 3/8ths and 1/2 spacing used. To me it doesn't matter if your shooting f/class. The proper elevation is what I need.

http://protektormodel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=253

http://protektormodel.com/images/BB%20HANDLE%202.jpg

Cat 64
11-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Thank you for that. I went to that site but, as usual with so many choices available I wonder what would be the appropriate height?...and what design/ material (mid ear seem a bit taller; are rabbit ears even taller?) I read somewhere Savage F Class stock is 1 inch wide. Would the 3/4 accommodate that?

sharpshooter
11-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Call Protector directly. They make one especially for the F class stock with the wide toe, but they don't advertise it.

acemisser
12-02-2013, 08:24 AM
I use a standard leather rabbit ear bag for the rear...I learned after a while that I had way too much sand in the bag.
Took the advice of the shooter and took out a lot from the ears.This made it so the ears would open wider...Plus I can squeeze
the bag for adjustment alot better now than befor...Hope this helps you..

Cat 64
12-05-2013, 04:55 PM
So what are the people out there using for the original Savage F Class stock? If I am not mistaken it is 1 inch wide. I was looking at the Protektor Dr. Bag Cordura Mid Ears 2" Tall - 1/2" T.S. Btwn. Ears. Would this be good enough for this stock? Does it suppose to ride the ears or rest on the stiches for smooth gliding?
http://webpm.fatcow.com/ProtektorModel/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=42

nzshooter
12-05-2013, 05:12 PM
there's a couple of options, my mate runs a seb rear bag with 1/2" between the ears on a standard 12f stock 6br and it works well for him, I tried the protecktor dr bag, then had protecktor make a customs flattop dr bag with 1/2" spacing, I couldn't get my 12f 6.5-284 to track well in in, I ended up machining the bottom of the stock to 5/8" wide and parallel the length of it, that got it to track, and have now gone to a seb rear bag with 1/2" between the ears, it tracks really well now

Cat 64
12-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Is the SEB spacing or design different than either Edgewood or Protektor? I see they sell some of heir bags with 1/2 inch between ears as well. Also, I went on SEB and they say their product is better ordered from the distributors...is that true? Which model of the bag is better there ...the short regular one or the longer? Thanks

nzshooter
12-05-2013, 07:31 PM
I havent used the longer rear bag, but it the ears etc appear to be the same as the smaller one, the bigfoot as seb call it, has a larger base, which would make it heavier and possibly more stable.

we ordered our bags direct from seb along with our front rests as there is no dealer for seb in NZ. I believe Mike Ratigan and Ernie Bishop are SEB dealers in the US.

the bags aren't much different from the protecktor or edgewood's, but the ears have a microfibre type material, that works wet or dry, unlike leather. If you end up with a seb rear bag, i would order the front one to match so that you have the same material front and rear.

Cat 64
12-05-2013, 07:53 PM
So this is what NZ in your handle stands for. Neat. Never communicated/met anyone from New Zealand. Auckland...Wellington...? When you talk about the front you talk about the whole rest or just the top where the forend slides? I have a Caldwell rest and just got the 3 inches wide top to match my rifle. I guess you guys can find places for long range shooting there easily.

nzshooter
12-05-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm about halfway between Auckland and Hamilton, we are lucky enough to have four NRA ranges within an hour, 2 of them go out to 1000 yards and the other two go out to about 800

By front bag I just mean the sandbag, your rest and top should be fine, I found both bags made from the same material helped a lot with getting it to track properly. what calibre is your 12f. ?

Cat 64
12-05-2013, 11:27 PM
6 mm BR. Nice arrangement with the ranges. I loos shoot a .308 (tikka t3 platform which is a very good shooter). I have a range that goes to 1000 yards. I am planning in mastering that distance well and then move up to a mile. I may have tochange the rifle for that but that is long term. What do you shoot? Any competition shooting? Are you reloading? You guys have summer now.

nzshooter
12-05-2013, 11:35 PM
I am shooting a modified 12f 6.5-284 at the moment and also have a 12f in 6mmbr that I have shot as well, but am saving for another scope for it.

I shoot f class competition at out local range and occasionally shoot the regional competitions, I really like the savage platform, they are easy to work on and shoot very very well for the money.

I reload for the calibres I own 6.5-284 6mmbr and 7wsm

Cat 64
12-05-2013, 11:40 PM
The 6.5 x 284 I hear shoots great but is a barrel eater. Is that true? What bullet, case, primer, powder combo did you find works best for your 6 BR? And do you still have the original savage stock on? Do you find the same reloading components there as we have here? Nice to meet you. I am Catalin and live in North Louisiana.

nzshooter
12-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Yeah the 6.5-284 usually has a barrel life of 1000-1200 rounds

I use Lapua brass in my rifles, my 6br seems to like cci br4 primers, 30.5 gr adi 2208 (varget) powder, I run 105gr amaxs in it, although the sierra 107mk's would work as well or better.

I have heavily modified the factory stock on the 6.5-284, added an offset alloy plate to the front to stop it torquing over, and machined the rear of the stock narrower and parallel as I mentioned earlier. The 6mmbr is still in its factory stock at this stage, but it will be modded the same as the 284 shortly. I have changed the accutriggers out for rifle basix sav2's and have them set at 5.5oz

Cheers
Andrew

barrel-nut
12-18-2013, 10:32 AM
I have a couple of Protectors similar to the one Stang pictured above. Although I use them on benches, not in FClass, I like them and they work well, especially when filled with "heavy" sand. The reason I have two, is that I found that the rough Cordura surface of my first bag's ears was hard on my stock finishes. So I got another one with leather ears, and I like it better. Just something to think about.

Cat 64
12-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Thank you Barrel-Nut. I was looking at the Protektor Dr. Bag "Leather Rabbit Ears 2 3/4" Tall - 1/2" T.S. Btwn. Ears" http://webpm.fatcow.com/ProtektorModel/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=42 and was wondering if that will be appropriate to accomodate my F-Class stock (1 inch wide bottom). Also are you putting anything on those rests to make them slide smoother? I hear people talk about baby powder or dryer sheets.

barrel-nut
12-18-2013, 02:23 PM
That looks exactly like mine. Mine has the 1/2" spacing between the ears too. Works great for most stocks. Don't know about yours. You may want to follow sharpshooter's suggestion and contact the manufacturer.
As for the Cordura, I tried baby powder, came to the conclusion I couldn't possibly put enough of it on there to keep it from abrading the finish on my wood stocks. But I'm kinda particular about my stuff. May not be a problem for others. But the leather definitely wont damage your wood stocks. The powder does great on leather too.

barrel-nut
12-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Cat 64 check your pm's