PDA

View Full Version : Mounting scope with no "cant" in the reticule

Pages : 1 [2]

EFBell
02-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Yep, something wrong with it. Just go to the main page under optics reviews articles.

Or go here to the manufacturer. http://www.deadeye2.com/

r29l20
07-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Just found this post. My 2cts. Back in the 70's Bushnell & TC. had scope rail tubes so you could only mount it one way. I thought that was the perfect fix. I set my cross hairs so they are right for me when I mount my rifle, never had a problem. Also my eyes have diff. axis's if it's right for my left eye, it's way off for my right. ???

Don - LongRangeSupply
07-27-2011, 12:07 AM
If the RETICLE (a reticULE is a fishnet womans purse by the way) is in fact "plumb" it will appear slightly canted to almost everyone when the rifle is shouldered. I found that if it looks plumb when shouldered it rarely is.

FYI using the top of a an adjustment cap to level a reticle isn't always going to work. I have seen some cap tops that were WAY out of alignment from the reticle.
GENERALLY....the flat surface on the bottom of the turret housing is usually going to be plumb with the reticle as that is the reference point they use when installing the reticle, but even that is a crap shoot sometimes with cheaper scopes. With a good scope you can use feeler gauges between the top of the scope rail and the flat on the bottom of the turret housing and get VERY close to a perfectly plumb reticle. Just stack up the shims until you can tell that the two surfaces are parallel to each other.

I always use the top of the rail with a bubble level rather than some point on the action, as my plumb reference that way I can move the scope from one rifle to another and it will be trued to the rail surface regardless of where I end up mounting it. Then I use a plumb line to get the reticle perpendicular to the rail top. You can "plumb" a line on your target backstop by simply using a carpenters level to align a bold black line drawn on a piece of paper. The Deadeye reticle leveling tools are the quickest to use and are worth the investment if you do a lot of scope mounting. They come with a portable "plumb line" and a level for your rifle.

Granted not all rails will be 100% true in relation to the action / bore but then not all action flats or bolt lug raceways are either. The key is to have A reference point with which to plumb the reticle that will be consistent. The top of the rail works well enough for me for 1500 meter shooting.

Shootinsurveyor
07-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Feeler guage method from the guys over ay Snipershide

jsteag
08-03-2011, 10:08 AM
If the rings are not in perfect alignment it becomes imposible to tightenment the rings with out throwing things ascue.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=36960/Product/Sinclair_Scope_Alignment_Tool

I use a hight quality one peice base