PDA

View Full Version : Stuck case in die - need ideas

stimpylu32
11-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Well I managed to stick a case in a brand new Dillon sizing die , to make things worse it's about 3/8" up in the die as it had a complete case head separation .

Had it in the freezer over night and still no luck , any ideas ?

And to really make a mess , it's a barrowed set the I was the first to use , even the owner had not used them yet !

HELP !!!!

stimpy

seanhagerty
11-29-2013, 08:19 PM
The head seperation makes things easier.

Take the decapper/expander out of the die. Put the die in a vice so you can get at the case (or whats left of it). Put some kroil or penentrating oil into the die. Let it sit for a while. Then get 1/4" all thread and a tap that has the same pitch as the all thread. Lightly put the all thread in, DO NOT go all the way in with it, you just want to get one thread, twist the all thread in the thread until its tight. Put a washer and a nut down on the all thread, and tighten until the case pops out.

bootsmcguire
11-29-2013, 09:01 PM
I had one do that to me long ago. Got it out kinda how sean describes, but I just used a screw extractor (aka "Easy Out", which is the most deceiving name ever). Once the extractor engaged I just twisted it a bit more and the brass popped free.

243LPR
11-29-2013, 09:47 PM
A broken shell extractor should work also.

stimpylu32
11-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks sean , worked like a champ , got the brass out and have run a few test rounds , no damage to the die .

Thanks again

stimpy

seanhagerty
11-30-2013, 06:56 PM
My pleasure sir.

Kansan
12-01-2013, 12:36 PM
I had that happen on a .223 a while back. I put what brass was still showing in a vice, then heated up the die with a handheld propane torch. Worked for me.

Kansan

dcloco
12-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Tape/seal one end, fill with HOT water, place in freezer.