PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Whitetail deer success and lessons learned!

taylorce1
11-28-2013, 11:46 PM
1. It's called hunting for a reason.
2. Sometimes deer just don't come within range.
3. We all want a buck, but sometimes you just don't see one you can shoot.
4. Use the bathroom before you go to the blind.
5. Make sure and check for deer before you leave the blind to pee!
6. Deer don't always come out where you expect them to.
7. On the last day of the hunt, any deer is a good deer.
8. While the .223 works for deer it just doesn't always leave a good blood trail.

I took my ten year old step daughter hunting in Oklahoma on a four day hunt. The whole way down on the drive she talked about shooting a buck deer. I told her we'd shoot one if we saw one, but that it might not happen. She was just adamant about shooting only a buck first and then moving on to does.

Well as luck would have it the only live buck she saw never got closer than 400 yards. I've worked with her out to 200 but not any further, and even she said it was too far away. So she passed on it only to have the guy who invited her down to shoot that buck. Then the only other buck she saw was shot by our other buddy's son who was hunting with us.
She learned that she should use the bathroom before going to the blind in the morning. Dad learned that even though he is frustrated with her needing to pee, that he should make a thorough sweep of the area outside the blind before letting her go pee. She lost the opportunity to shoot one of six does as soon as she stepped out, because I didn't bother to look. I'm sure if she had known there was some deer out there she would have been able to hold her bladder long enough to shoot one.

She also learned that on the last day of the hunt a doe is a great trophy. She finally connected about 5 pm on the last night of the hunt. We had spent most of those four days wasting time talking about random things but one thing I did was discuss shot options and where I wanted her to shoot. I told her I wanted her to aim for the shoulder this year as last year she shot a little far back, and I discussed about quartering towards and away shots vs. broadside shots.
About ten minutes before the shot her deer came out with two fawns. The fawns went to grazing the field right away but it took a long time for the doe to put down her flag and relax. She wasn't in position for the shot as they came out on my right side and she was on the left watching the bigger game trail. Because she had to shoot across my body, she wasn't able to use her Bog Pod shooting tripod I'd got her. She just rested the forearm of the stock on the blind window and her elbow on my thigh.

The doe was quartering towards us on a pretty extreme angle, so I asked her where she was going to put the bullet. She said I'm aiming for the shoulder like we talked, and then said the bullet should come out by the last rib. I said good girl, when your ready take the rifle off of safe and make the shot. She pushed the safety forward and shortly after that there was the sound of the rifle going off.

I could see the bullet impact the doe, and she jumped straight up in the air. When she came down her leg buckled and she nose dived into the ground. I said good shot! Then the doe got up and started to run, and I yelled reload, we might have to shoot again. My daughter was fumbling with working the bolt, so I lost sight of the doe as I turned to reach for my rifle. When I got my rifle out the window I couldn't find the doe in my scope. Well even though my daughter fumbled with the reload she had kept track of the doe, I was looking for signs of blood or hair to find a trail to track. While I was searching my daughter walked right over to her doe.

When we found the doe right before dark I was surprised to find not much of an entrance wound and no exit. This is the second year she has used the .223 and the 55 grain TSX bullet on deer. It's hard to argue with the success she has had with it but I wasn't impressed with the lack of any blood to track. I wasn't able to be with her last year for her first doe, so I don't know really how the bullet performed last year. However I do know she shot the doe twice last year and only once this year.

Picture of the entrance wound.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/taylorce1/P1000658.jpg

The happy huntress!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/taylorce1/2013%20Deer%20Hunt/P1000662.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/taylorce1/2013%20Deer%20Hunt/P1000661.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/taylorce1/2013%20Deer%20Hunt/P1000660.jpg

Her final words on the hunt was, "A doe beats no deer at all, thank you for taking me hunting Chad!"

nso123
11-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Congrats to the young lady. Thanks for helping to pass the sport on to the next generation.

snowgetter1
11-29-2013, 02:51 PM
That is great. Can't wait until mine are willing to go.

ragsflh
11-30-2013, 05:47 AM
congrats to new hunter

taylorce1
11-30-2013, 11:30 AM
That is great. Can't wait until mine are willing to go.

It will be the best hunting experiences you'll ever have. Trust Me!

congrats to new hunter

This is her second doe, she got one at the ripe old age of nine last year in OK as well. I was unfortunately called to go back to work early so I only got to spend one day in the blind, and wasn't there when she shot the deer. This was my first time seeing her shoot anything larger than a prairie dog.

Werewolf
12-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Congrats to her! I have worked hard to instill in my children that any deer fairly taken is a trophy.
I have loaded some 62 gr tsx for kids before, and both the deer they shot with them died in sight. I agree with the scant blood trails, but dead is dead!

DgTerrell
12-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Wow, your step daughter's hunting experience this year was almost identical to mine. I was strictly going in this season hunting for a buck for my first deer. After going out 7-8x the only buck I saw was a 4 pointer on opening day. On my last day I decided a doe will be good experience and better than no deer at all. So out came a doe with 2 fawns/yearlings coming out to my weak side unexpectingly, so I wasn't able to sneak behind the haybell beside me to get a better shot, otherwise I would have spooked them. I got as steady as I could twisting my body and resting my elbow on a flimsy fold up chair arm rest and took the shot about 125 yards. She didn't even flinch. So as I reloaded and I also fumbled with the bolt. The second shot connected and she went down after about 20 yards. I actually hit it the first time also, but we figured adrenaline must of kicked in (Wasn't a fatal shot).

Didnt mean to to hijack your thread to tell my story, just thought it was eerily similar to yours.