PDA

View Full Version : Daft idea for re-barreling?

UK-Shootist
11-28-2013, 04:40 PM
OK, I have a Savage 12 F/TR .308 which, for a variety of reasons, I think the barrel may be past it's best. Dwelling on this, I thought of the following. Savage barrels on this type of rifle seem fairly straightforward to change. OK so far. Barrels tend to lose their edge as a result of burns to the throat of the rifling. So, could a competent gun smith cut 2 or 3 inches off the rear of the barrel, re-thread and re-chamber it, then, of course, re-fit it? In theory, you should end up with a barrel that is much better than before, but much less expensive than a replacement. What do you think?

RP12
11-28-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm not so sure you would be much money ahead. Plus you still have a well used barrel.

bootsmcguire
11-28-2013, 09:17 PM
It can be cheaper to do it that way, but you may be better off to get a new barrel. It just depends on what smith work and prefits cost our your side of the pond.

44magleo
11-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Most barrels taper quite a bit just ahead of the chamber. Cutting two inches of puts a much smaller section of the barrel where the chamber would be. This would give you much thinner chamber walls. I don't think this is a good idea.
Now if your barrel was a straight tube with no taper then it would be ok.
The rifling just ahead of the chamber gets worn more than the rest of the rifling. Cutting a 1/4 or 3/8 inch off the barrel and recutting the chamber may get past most of the wear just ahead of the chamber.
This might be ok without getting the chamber walls too thin.
Re-crowning the barrel might help too.
Leo