View Full Version : Why spend thousands on a custom gun

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

pbracken556
11-29-2013, 01:31 PM
I live on a 200 acre farm and that the upstairs window so no worries there

missed
11-29-2013, 02:47 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/6era6aja.jpg
The he** with winter time.... I'm shooting my rifle where it's nice and warm. But the heat leaving the window sure does mAke it hard. Haha

That's awesome.

jeffersonv
11-29-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm not going to get into the shooter/gun debate or marksmanship skills etc. But to address the title of your original post, the accuracy of (at least mine) Savage rifles really puts to question spending large amounts of money to attain a high accuracy standard. Cool huh?

It's usually the Remington fan boys that complain "Salvages" are ugly as if their rifles are soooo beautiful in comparison. Really? There must be some aspect of a Remington action that is so attractive to these guys that they will spend the gunsmithing $$$ and still in many cases not be able to hang with a Savage that has not seen a gunsmith. Whatever that beautiful feature is, I just can't see it. They both look like tools to me.

That being said, there are some other reasons I can think of to spend more money on a rifle beyond just accuracy and that is robustness. I have blown a primer in my Savage that took me out of the competition where as doing the same in my FN-SPR for example will not even cause it to hiccup. There is the AI-AW's and the like that have a lot more robustness designed in that can make a difference if your targets shoot back.

Even so, Savage rifles still are a novelty in my book.

Onewolf
11-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Why did you mount the scope so high?

jeffersonv
11-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Double tap?

pbracken556
11-29-2013, 04:55 PM
As I had said earlier the point I was trying make when I started this thread is for people who want good accuracy and DONT HAVE THE MONEY to spend thousands on a gun the savage will perform just fine.... So it can be a novelty in your book but at the range 1/2 Moa don't hurt my feelings

ShawneeB
11-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Yeah that's what I was getting at. I should have titled it " if you can't spend thousands...."

There ya go;)

BTW, Nice rifle, and group. Be proud of both.

Sheldon
11-29-2013, 06:28 PM
I detect a certain reverse class envy here . . . It reminds me of a story:
Rich guy with a custom fly-rod and a $1000 worth of gear has a stringer of several 8-10 inch trout.
He meets a young lad using a willow pole and a safety pin with a worm who has a 20 inch trout.
Arrogant guy says to the kid: "So, you only caught the one, eh!"

Sheldon

pbracken556
11-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Let's all face it here.... For the working man who busts his a** every day at work to pay for his house, supporting his family, and all his other responsibilities whether it's keeping tires on his wife's car or whatever it might be..... After all that I'm sure if he could manage so save up a few thousand dollars to buy a custom rifle, he would. At least I know I would but that's not how things work. No matter how hard you try to save up that money there is always something that is more important. And when you have a family some things take priority. I **** happy with my novelty and the groups it shoots.

ShawneeB
11-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Good one Sheldon! Guy once passed me in a boat as I lifted out a whopping 5-6" trout, lifts his hefty stringer and yells, "NICE FISH!" I'm still laughing on that one. OOps, I'm off topic. OK

Bracken, Shoot what you have and shoot your best. Couple short stories since about all I got left in my senility, fading eyes and wobbly hold.

In the late 60's I was shooting NRA 4 position 50 foot competition. Army gave us target 22's. A few could afford 52D's. I had a pretty Savage Sporter, 23A think it was. GFather's handed down to Uncle, to me and years back gave it to my Nephew. Got a nice set of Lyman target peeps put on. I shot my way thru Expert in no time and 48 of 50 the required targets for "Distinguished Rifleman" then found girls and muscle cars putting a blinder on my endeavors for a period. Yearly I went to state. Did just fine, with what I had.

2004 I was range officer and got time off at a turkey shoot manning a trap station to go shoot rifle a bit. I wandered into a scoped 200 meter offhand event. 3 woodchuck/groundhog targets (size of a shoe box lid steel plates) 9 positions of 10 filled. I had a M39 Finn, 1944 Sako built with me and asked for the 10th position. They all laughed like heck but let me play. 8 scoped shooters went away with tails tucked as I tied the SD Sarge (2 of 3 each) with his Sig rifle and scope almost as big. He beat me in the tie off shoot for the turkey, but I got the cheers from the crowd and the smile. He asked me how I did that. Told him, "Sarge, see that big front sight? Cover up the target and yank the trigger!" He roared laughing and next year came up to me laughing, "yank the trigger, yank the trigger" smiling ear to ear. Is there a moral? Don't talk the bucks, just shoot and shoot your best.

pbracken556
11-29-2013, 07:42 PM
To answer your question About thing rings, I had this scope mounted on my Remington witch had a real low rail for mounting and needed the hight for the 50mm. Since buying
My new savage and my mk4 being my high dollar scope I switched em out and put it on the savage ( witch comes with the 20moA rail and is way higher than my other mount on the Remington ). That and having over 200 dollars in the good rings I just haven't got lower rings yet.

Mach2
11-30-2013, 03:54 AM
Only accurate guns are interesting. The rest are junk. Some are very expensive junk.

RP12
11-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Run away topic train ?:deadhorse:

kdvarmint
11-30-2013, 11:07 AM
:deadhorse:

Never seen that one, love it LOL.

jeffersonv
11-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Hmmm. Maybe you misunderstood?

The 1/2 inch accuracy that you speak of (without spending the big bucks) is what makes it a novelty.

Novelty = good.

Get it?

pbracken556
11-30-2013, 06:58 PM
I guess I did

bodywerks
11-30-2013, 11:03 PM
I have recently purchased a savage model 10 FCP-sr along with a leupold mark 4 for the optic. I was figuring on this being my budget long rand rifle. Now I still have no clue what it's going to be capable of out past 800 yards but after working up a load for it and going through all my options this is what I ended up with....http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/asahaneh.jpg

That's a 3 shot group @ 100 yards.

I guess what I'm getting at is you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get a rifle capable of this kind of accuracy.

Have you owned a custom rig? More to it than just a lucky day at the range with one three shot group. If you can do at least three 5 shot groups in a row that are sub half MOA then you have a shooter, sure. But what about cold bore consistency, bolt lift effort, bolt cycling effort, rail trueness to the bore centerline, etc?
How much does that factory barrel foul compared to a custom, precision, hand-lapped barrel?
All I know is all my custom rifles will shoot half MOA fairly effortlessly at 100 yards with just about any match ammo or hand load. And the smooth, effortless cycling actions are priceless.
My McGowan 7 saum, rounds 2-6 down a brand new barrel with Nosler factory ammo:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/01/eja8egat.jpg
My Krieger-barreled, hybrid savage action model 10 260 - two different 5 shot groups with two different loads on the same day during load development - both sub half even with the flyers:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130526_095652_262_zps6dd9797e.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130526_093255_163_zps82632bee.jpg
My custom, Bartlein barreled 338 Lapua. Three rounds during break in:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130823_085118_594_zpsb4015edf.jpg
Same load. Three shots at 542 yards:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130908_081720_092_zpsb6d1d907.jpg

pbracken556
11-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Hey I know this is way off topic but I'm sitting here at the loading bench and I finally got a tub of BL-C (2) and I have never used it before and have read good things about it..... Before I throw these loads together does anyone know if a HAVE to use magnum primers or can I use just regular rifle primers

bodywerks
11-30-2013, 11:19 PM
If it's not a magnum round you don't need magnum primers.

bodywerks
11-30-2013, 11:24 PM
Also, if you are talking about what the load data says on the jug, 210M is match primer, not magnum primer. If this is a 308 you're loading for that powder is not suited for anything heavier than 155gr.