PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Moderators!

boltguns
11-28-2013, 10:30 AM
I just visited another forum where the moderator's response to a very rude post and the backlash that followed was that people should grow a thicker skin. He went so far as to say that people who complain about "mean" posts were the real problem. With comments like that, I'm quite sure the atmosphere on that forum will only degrade further.

In my experience, any organization rises or falls on its leadership, and after seeing a few incidents of rude posting on other forums I am compelled to thank the moderators on this forum for maintaining such a high standard. The posting here is typically cordial and lighthearted, and there is no doubt that the welcoming atmosphere here is to the credit of those in charge. Great job!

pdog2062
11-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Amen brother

stangfish
11-28-2013, 12:53 PM
I am all for politeness but I have the ability to know that what some guy says on a forum x hundred miles away has no bearing on my feelings. I Like when guys play around. If it gets stupid I will consider the source and ignore. I work for a large international corporation with 6000 people on site. Diversity is encouraged and we have all types. A person that could not take a little banter would quickly find yourself without friends. I love the men and women that are very conservative (conduct wise) that are impervious to the morons surrounding them. It is hard to respect the people who are visibly impacted by the conduct of a dope. They are the engine of political correctness and social engineering.

jhelmuth
11-28-2013, 01:08 PM
in a real world ftf/personal setting, I agree with you whole-heartedly.... but in the virtual world, I'm going to side with a very well moderated forum. The fact of the matter is that (mostly) forums should be for the benefit of it's participating membership. That doesn't include hostilities which go beyond debate and good natured banter.

Thank you mods for being there to keep things as they should be.... (it is appreciated I assure you)

snowgetter1
11-28-2013, 01:36 PM
I would agree. Only once have I seen a guy on here that over the top rude. I reported him to mods, I am sure others did, and then he was gone.

stangfish
11-28-2013, 03:17 PM
very well moderated forum

I agree no but this is rather subjective eh? Is this to mean enforcing rules or what?

pdog06
11-28-2013, 05:48 PM
If there are rules then they should be enforced, correct? If not then are they really a rule, or just a guideline?

The idea is to keep the site as clean as possible without topics wandering off in many directions. Goofing around should be kept to the humor section. Maybe the off-topic section as well depending on the subject. If a member asks a serious question then he should get a serious answer. Im all for giving them a direct answer and also adding a bit of comedy to the post, but theres ALOT of posts in recent past that just goes way off topic to make a joke about something. Those responses are not needed.

Back when this forum was smaller(before most of you were members) the rules here were way more relaxed. Heck, we even had threads where members could act stupid whenever they wanted(it got deleted with about 2000 posts in it...LOL) and almost every topic had some sort of joking around in them because we all got to know each other really well. We usually had around 90-100 members online at a time. The majority of those members knew alot about Savage rifles and any questions posted by newbies got direct answers very quickly, along with the occasional ribbing of some sort.

But the ways of the forum then cannot be used as much in todays forum. With 600+ members/guests on here at any given time, and alot of them not being as skilled in Savage rifles, a thread can go off-topic in a hurry and that needs to be kept to a minimum. A new member with an issue, and not knowing anyone here, isnt looking for comedy. They are looking for an answer to their problem and thats what we are supposed to be here for.

Even though i am a Mod here I dont agree with everything that goes on. I dont think any Mod does. Heck, the Admin probably doesnt either and he makes the rules. That being said, things needed to be addressed so much needed rules were put in place. Overall i believe it was a good idea and that the forum has been run well.

I frequent alot of forums but this one is the only one that I have had lasting friendships from. Some of us meet every year and shoot. Some of us hunt together. Some of us meet at Cabelas. And some of us just call to check on others once in a while just to keep in touch.

I got a text from a member last night that i havent talked to in months, and it was very good to hear from him again. How many forums do you go on where an older member you havent talked to in months contacts you from 2500 miles away just to say hello? Probably not many.....Thats just one example that sets this site apart from all the others!

boltguns, on behalf of all the mods here, Your Welcome and Thank You for your kind words.

sniper15545
11-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Wow Mike something that ended in you and wasn't ****you What a good day LOL :)

pdog06
11-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Another example of what I was talking about... ^....LOL

THANK YOU too Doug.......

stangfish
11-28-2013, 08:00 PM
And what I was talking about as well. Thanks Pdog and Apache. You guys are the best.

jhelmuth
11-28-2013, 08:10 PM
... I'm going to side with a very well moderated forum. ...

Thank you mods for being there to keep things as they should be.... (it is appreciated I assure you)

I agree no but this is rather subjective eh? Is this to mean enforcing rules or what?

I think you (and I) are in agreement (having heard from pdog) - no? I think we all feel following the rules is important in the real and the virtual world....

Code4
11-28-2013, 08:35 PM
In my experience on other forums, the culture of the forum is ultimately created by the members. Moderators enforce rules, but they can also crush a forum into an 'inner circle'.

Just keeping on topic is the best way to avoid 'issues'.

Silvercrow1
11-28-2013, 11:19 PM
I think you (and I) are in agreement (having heard from pdog) - no? I think we all feel following the rules is important in the real and the virtual world....

I agree with most of what is posted here. I LOVE joking around- if it is not mean spirited. I've often, in private FTF conversations referred to the chat rooms and boards as the "CB's of the 21st century" by that I mean some folks join to put on a persona, and act in a way that they would never dare to in person. Back in the 70s folks would get on the CB and have a handle and an attitude that perhaps reflected more of what they wished they were rather than who they actually were. Perhaps adopting an attitude of arrogance, indifference etc. that, again, most societal situations would not warrant, accept or tolerate.

I kind of take an attitude like Stang- just let it roll. I've been fortunate to live all over the country and to interact with a wide range of cultures and philosophies. One thing I've found; those who are truly knowledgable are comfortable with themselves and their knowledge- they do not have to prove themselves to others. Those who are truly tough don't have to go around telling everyone how tough they are- others recognize it in them....

I've said it here lots- I love this board and the folks here because by and large they are "real", willing to share and help, and are not trying to be what they are not.

Thanks Mods for your time and sacrifices, and everyone here for being yourselves.

Brian

bootsmcguire
11-29-2013, 01:12 AM
Forums = 21st century CB's

Upsides: longer transmission range, clearer signal, no static

Downsides: Your laptop is not connected to a 360hp Black Trans Am and no place for your "seat-cover" to sit.

Seriously though this is the forum I frequent the most. Thanks to all who make it the place it is.