PDA

View Full Version : Pet .308 Loads using IMR 8208 ?

Silvercrow1
11-27-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm really getting into load development for my .308 Hog Hunter, and as I picked up one pound of IMR 8208, I am interested in asking if anyone would be willing to share their pet loads using this powder? I am loading 155 Gn. Hornady Amax and 168 Gn. Nosler Ballistic tips. I'm trying to conserve powder as between the powder shortage in this area and the money shortage locally:sorrow: ,any help would be appreciated.

I have ordered gauges / comparators for this gun and my 110 .223 LA.

I understand sometimes folks are reluctant to share. I promise I will keep loads to myself if you PM me with them. I promise I will not use them to shoot against you in the E-Mail matches.

I'm not a competitor- except with myself (and the .22 LR E-mail matches here), I just want to get the best possible loads for my guns and learning that and learning to shoot better and at longer distances really "flips my switch"!

My .308 Hog Hunter is a 1:10 twist, 20" medium contour barrel, stock OEM stock (for now- want to get a Tacticool because although I like the OEM stock, there is too much flex through the action area for my liking).

I have copied the start and max loads from the Hogdon / IMR site for IMR 8208. With the Varget and Win. 748 I have some good loads and am experimenting with COAL now.

I will be happy to share my successful loads for .223 and limited .308 with anyone interested. I have loads for .223 (110 LA, 1:14 twist 24" bbl.) for 50 and 55 Gn. bullets using Varget and Win. 748 that consistently group in the mid to high .3s.

Thanks for your consideration!

Brian

Hotolds442
11-28-2013, 01:11 AM
I've got 4 pounds of 8208XBR, but haven't gotten around to starting on load development. I'd be interested in those pet loads as well.

MacDR
11-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Really a tough question as rifles all have slightly to materially different harmonics. A load in one that gives good results may not produce the same in another even if they are identical barrels etc. I shoot both 308 and 223 and load IMR8208. Loads for my bolt action Marlin did not translate well for my 99f and I am in the process of redeveloping my 308 loads for this rifle. My Marlin and the 99 have 1-12 twist. My medium contour barrel 110 .223 has a 1-9. One thing I have found is all my rifles seem to have best accuracy with low to mid-range loads. My best load using 8208 for a 60 grain Hornady Varminter is the recommended starting load of 21.5 grains. This is quite likely the lower node for this bullet in my rifle. I expect there is one closer to the max load but I am quite happy with the lower load and see no need to try for the same accuracy at a higher speed.

My advice is to use the ladder method to get the best load using the same brass and primer with a consistent case length. Once you find it then refine by experimenting using small changes in seating depth. I use a Lee factory crimp die as I believe it gives me a more consistent tension than roll crimping. I also neck size only.

Silvercrow1
11-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Really a tough question as rifles all have slightly to materially different harmonics. A load in one that gives good results may not produce the same in another even if they are identical barrels etc. I shoot both 308 and 223 and load IMR8208. Loads for my bolt action Marlin did not translate well for my 99f and I am in the process of redeveloping my 308 loads for this rifle. My Marlin and the 99 have 1-12 twist. My medium contour barrel 110 .223 has a 1-9. One thing I have found is all my rifles seem to have best accuracy with low to mid-range loads. My best load using 8208 for a 60 grain Hornady Varminter is the recommended starting load of 21.5 grains. This is quite likely the lower node for this bullet in my rifle. I expect there is one closer to the max load but I am quite happy with the lower load and see no need to try for the same accuracy at a higher speed.

My advice is to use the ladder method to get the best load using the same brass and primer with a consistent case length. Once you find it then refine by experimenting using small changes in seating depth. I use a Lee factory crimp die as I believe it gives me a more consistent tension than roll crimping. I also neck size only.

Thanks- I've started reading about the ladder method...seems like an accurate way of load development without a lot of wasted components. I want to make sure I understand it completely and will give it a go then.

Brian