PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide between Boyd's Classic or SSS Pro-Hunter for my .30-06.

farmer44mag
11-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Am concerned about lack of pillars in the Boyd's stock, especially with .30-06 recoil. It looks like the SSS stock has a front pillar at least. My rifle consistently shoots 3 shots into 7/8 inches at 100yds with the factory stock. I definetely don't want to make things widen up. The boyd's video claims to reduce group size- but that is with a light kicking .223. Has anyone done any shooting with the boyd's stocks in the harder kicking calibers yet?

I really am happy with the factory stock and the light weight it provides, but have grown concerned about the possibility of these breaking at the wrist, from things i have read online. If this happened while deer hunting, well, I would not be a happy camper. So that is why i am looking to change stocks, and i do like the look of the Boyds classic in pepper color.

Really liking these rifles. Have taken 4 deer with my .30-06 now- all one shot kills- dropped on the spot with my favorite deer load- Hornady 150gr. SST's.

stangfish
11-27-2013, 08:12 PM
I am guessing you have an Axis..? I can't speak for that model but I have been very happy with my LVT.

farmer44mag
11-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Happy with a boyd's stock you mean?

LoneWolf
11-27-2013, 11:04 PM
No LVT is by SSS. The ProHunter is much higher quality than the boyds stock. Definitely worth it!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

farmer44mag
11-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Any idea on current wait time for a Pro-Hunter stock?

farmer44mag
11-28-2013, 12:39 AM
Also, what does your pro hunter weigh? The Boyd's is heavy and the pro- hunter looks heavier yet.

LoneWolf
11-28-2013, 02:22 AM
What's your definition of heavy? I haven't weighed it personally, but I believe the weight is where it needs to be if you're running the sporter barrel. It's going to be heavier than the plastic stock as it is a laminate.

Best to email SSS and ask both of those questions.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

J.Baker
11-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Fred has several Black ProHunters sitting on the shelf with the outside profiles already cut and sanded, they're just waiting to be inlet to the customers needs (long or short magazine). He might have one or two in Royal Jacaranda or Forest Camo as well, but don't hold me to that as I haven't been out there in a week or so. As such the wait time would be minimal unless you wanted a color he doesn't have ready to go.

If you're worried about weight you might as well just stick with the factory plastic stock as both the Boyds and ProHunter stocks will be noticeably heavier due to their being laminate.

farmer44mag
11-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info guys, now you have me leaning towards the ProHunter. Checked out your build thread LoneWolf and the stock is better looking in your pics than on the website. Still like the profile/look of Boyd's classic better, but function is more important. And I think having the front action screw already pillar bedded would save me a lot of grief.

stangfish
11-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Happy with a boyd's stock you mean?

Both actually. However the "LVT" I am referring to is a SSS stock for a 10-16 action pattern. There is no comparison between the two. One is a ac cobra and one is a American Motors Matador.

J.Baker
11-29-2013, 11:49 AM
The Pro-Hunter isn't really pillar bedded at the front screw even though what's there does kind of look like a pillar. The metal piece you see at the front screw is primarily a retention catch for the magazine. The attached tube that goes up through the screw hole is just there to provide surface area to securely epoxy it into place. On both of my stocks the top of the tube is below the level of the wood and will not come into contact with the action to be a true pillar.

However, I'm pretty sure Fred said he put a metal sleeve in for the rear screw of the second stock he sold to Lonewolf and that' he's doing that on all of them now. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong impression based on pictures and then be disappointed or pissed off because the stock doesn't come pillar bedded.

Part of the reason the Pro-Series stocks are cheaper than his other stocks for the 110-series rifles is because they're simplified and don't have any ala cart options. Pillar bedding not only requires oversizing the screw holes and gluing in the pillars, it also requires filing them down to the proper length once the epoxy dries which means more hand work and more time. With only two options (magazine length and limited colors) Fred can make several up in advance to have ready for customer orders to decrease the wait time while also keeping the cost down.

farmer44mag
11-29-2013, 02:43 PM
So in your opinion, what is better about the ProHunter vs the Boyd's classic for the Axis. Are they a more precise fit? Are they a tougher laminate? Will I really notice a difference in a sporter weight rifle for deer hunting to justify the extra $125? I am relying on you guys as I have never seen a stock from either company in person.

farmer44mag
11-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Did some more research and ended up ordering a Boyd's Classic Pepper. Really like the look of it and most people have had same level of accuracy or an improvement compared to the factory stock. This is just a deer rifle, and shoots way tighter than it needs to now- which is great. If it does open up a bit- won't be the end of the world and i can always try a home bedding kit, or worst case, go back to original stock. Thanks again for all the input guys, and i will definetely be posting pics and range report asap!

Mach2
11-30-2013, 02:26 AM
Really liking these rifles. Have taken 4 deer with my .30-06 now- all one shot kills- dropped on the spot

You must have a lot of good hunting land near you.
What state do you live in?

farmer44mag
11-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Minnesota. Used this rifle 2 seasons now. Got a medium sized 8 point last year and 3 1.5- year olds this year. We have party hunting laws here and towards end of season we shoot deer for each other so everyone gets some meat. I usually don't see a lot of deer but have been lucky enough to get the ones I do see. Let a few does/ fawns pass this year- not the norm.

20 miles away from me though, it is normal to see dozens of deer on a field and quite a few trophy quality deer are taken. Only 2 "big" racks off of our land in last 20 years. But I am very happy with a nice even 8 pointer. I still get a thrill out of harvesting a doe for that matter.