PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 7mm Rem Mag Build

litigious
11-27-2013, 02:43 PM
http://imgur.com/a/hbCFL

Thanks for all the help.

I started this build about a month ago. I started with a standard savage 111 chambered in 30-06. I then acquired a hand lapped Mcgowen match barrel in 7mm Rem Mag. The standard recoil lug for the Savage is a stamped piece that is often a point of inaccuracy. The milled recoil lug and the matching stainless barrel nut fit perfectly. I had to acquire a few pieces of specialty equipment to change the barrel (an action wrench, a barrel nut wrench, and a belted magnum go-gauge). Once I changed the barrel, I traded the original trigger for a SSS competition trigger. The SSS trigger was extremely easy to calibrate and the trigger pull is a crisp pound. The barreled action was then set in a Choate Tactical stock. The Choate has a full aluminum bedding block and is very sturdy. The glass is a new Bushnell ERS in 3.5-21x50 with 34mm tube. I chose the g2 reticule, as I find the Horus too busy. The scope is mounted in Warne steel permanent rings. The only thing that still needs to be done is to have it inlet for bottom metal and a cheek riser added. I will have to wait for after Christmas for those. Below is the breakdown on the cost of this project Base rifle - $250 (sold 30-06 barrel and stock for 80$) Barrel - $170 (with 50 brass, barrel nut and dies) Recoil lug - $30 Trigger - $110 Bolt knob - $60 Bolt face - $45 Stock - $210 Rings - $55 Level - $35 Scope base - $40 Rifle total - $1005 Scope - $1700 Reloading - $940

RiverSink
12-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Nice stick, I've also got an old 110 in 7mag to build up if I ever get done with this 243AI. Let us know how it shoots.