PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: Newer Model 25's any better than older ones from earlier in year?

GaCop
11-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Like the title says. I'm interested in getting a Model 25 in 22 Hornet but since reading about all the issues with them, I'm now very leery. Have they gotten better? Are they easier to get?

plinkin
12-06-2013, 10:42 PM
If I ever get around to shooting mine I will let you know.

Willy
12-16-2013, 06:45 PM
No problems with my WV in 22 Hornet. I've only shot about 75 rounds with mine.

steveente
03-22-2014, 04:44 PM
I Just shot my new model 25 thumbhole stock in 22 hornet. The gun is a dream to shoot and very accurate at 100 yards but I had problems with the original magazine and Savage just sent the new one which clicks into place and stays put, the old one did not. I am still bothered by a failure to feed rounds every now and then, about ten shots apart, and plan to call Savage next week and continue questioning them for a solution. Anyone else have feeding issues?

plinkin
03-22-2014, 04:46 PM
I Just shot my new model 25 thumbhole stock in 22 hornet. The gun is a dream to shoot and very accurate at 100 yards but I had problems with the original magazine and Savage just sent the new one which clicks into place and stays put, the old one did not. I am still bothered by a failure to feed rounds every now and then, about ten shots apart, and plan to call Savage next week and continue questioning them for a solution. Anyone else have feeding issues?

Does the metal finish on yours have a matte satin finish or high gloss?

steveente
03-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Does the metal finish on yours have a matte satin finish or high gloss?

My Finish is a satin finish, why?

buddyb
03-31-2014, 05:46 PM
Hi,

Savage replaced my model 25 laminated stock a few weeks ago with, a brand new model 25, after having many problems with extraction. The new barrel is a satin finish compared to the old barrel which was a high gloss bluing. I don't know what was wrong with the gun maybe headspacing. I could see through the the gas port where the extractor could not quite reach the rim of the fired cartridge to grab the rim. Anyhow, The new gun is grate. I have had it out at the range working up handloads three or four times now with around 100 rounds through the gun and it's NICE! I was waiting to see what would become of this situation because I would like a camo walking varmitter also.

homermoore
04-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Hi, buddyb, is your barrel secured with pins or the latest production with a nut.

buddyb
04-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Hi

My Savage Model # 25 is secured with the barrel nut.

buddyb
04-27-2014, 07:30 AM
I do have a slight feeding problem at times but, a little wiggle of the bolt gets them in the chamber most of the time. Lately, I have been experiencing difficulty bring the bolt back after firing. The bolt handle lifts properly but doesn't quite unlock after firing.

XNAVYORDIE
05-12-2014, 06:10 PM
I do have a slight feeding problem at times but, a little wiggle of the bolt gets them in the chamber most of the time. Lately, I have been experiencing difficulty bring the bolt back after firing. The bolt handle lifts properly but doesn't quite unlock after firing.

Identical to my 17HH.....it was really bad at first. Sent back to Savage and it has been better.....not perfect but better.

buddyb
05-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Sir,
Were you having problems with the bolt slide back? My gun unlocks correctly, (no pressure signs) but hangs up at the top end lift and won't unlock the seating lugs to slide back. I have to relock the bolt, unlock, and tap it back with a soft mallet.

XNAVYORDIE
05-13-2014, 04:33 PM
It was doing that the first couple times at the range....only if I could get the round to feed in the first place. Yep had to use the rubber mallet once and that was enough to call Savage and arrange to have it sent back.

It locked up on me a couple weeks ago in the field after I fired a reloaded cartridge....I feared the worst. But it eventually came back with a few assertive handlepush downs and a quick pull. Bolt is clean, not sure where it hung up. But it was fine the rest of the hunt and since. Just have to point down and giggle a bit if round does not feed from mag all the way. Seems to get better with age.......

buddyb
05-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Sir,
Will you please read my other thread here I posted yesterday, regarding my cracked laminate stock.

buddyb
05-14-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm giving up on my Savage # 25 22 hornet. Now I have new brass breaking off at the neck and sticking in the chamber. I'm sending the gun back to savage and when it's returned to me I will dump the POS! I have had it! Two guns ,three stocks and now this, junk just pain junk.

XNAVYORDIE
05-16-2014, 09:06 PM
I did and don't know what to tell you....sound like too much pressure from screw? Odd that would happen more than once.....have not heard of it being an issue before.

rob.dizz.89
05-23-2014, 01:19 AM
I have a newer Model 25 Walking Varminter in .17 hornet, bought it last fall. I actually got super lucky, shortly after I bought it I happened to be browsing eBay and found a brand new stock off of a 25 Varminter-T for $25! (that's not a typo). So I sort of have a frankenstein 25, I have the 22" matte barrel, but I have the thumbhole laminated stock. Other than having to swap one screw out for a longer one it obviously fit perfect. I gotta say, I've probably put about 150 rounds through it (actually I have more ammo than I know what do with) and I'm pretty happy with it. It's hit and miss when it comes to the "rough" or "tight" feeding issue, but I've never once had any trouble with accuracy. In fact, last time I had it out I made my a personal best shot with it, hitting a small ground squirrel @225 yards in the wind! If I had to buy another I might think twice though. So far I haven't had any problems, but the action just feels kinda cheap and flimsy to me :/ I hate knockin' Savage but thats how I honestly feel. You can buy a model 12fv for less than a 25varminter-t, and the action is WAY better and the ability to customize is WAY better. It might weigh a couple more pounds but the benefits far outweigh the negatives....kind of a no-brainer to me now that I think about it....