PDA

View Full Version : New BVSS .223 Rem

TnTom
02-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Bought a BVSS today and its really the first Savage I have had (excluding my 99 in .303 Savage).

I'll give it a 9.8 for cosmetics. The stock finish is exceptional and really slick.
Scope Mounting gets a 9.9 for mounting alignment.
Trigger 9.9 it came out of the box at 20oz. No creep perfect over-travel. breaks clean as a whistle.
9.9 Action and barrel perfectly centered in the stock.
Finish on the metal looks good but has some very slight cutter path marks on the receiver but would never be seen by the unsuspecting, I have to look real hard to detect it. Good brush job. Corner breaks, chamfers, polish, is very well done and no evidence of cutting cost in the final stages of the manufacture. A+ for Savage.

Its going to be a few days maybe before I shoot it. If its nice out tomorrow we'll see.

Why in the world did they stencil the label on the bolt. Such a nice job of jeweling and then cover it up the stencil. How stupid. You can stand 10' from the gun and you know who made it. If it shoots as good as it looks I guess I can live with a little hippie sh_t.

Tom

GaCop
02-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Looking forward to a range report. If nothing else, pick up a jeweling jig from Brownells, polish off the "Savage" and re-jewel it.

TnTom
02-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I have the brownells tooling for jeweling but it wouldn't blend very well. Ive done a lot of bolts and it would involve doing the entire bolt. It wouldn't do the resale much good. Its not a big deal the stenciling just looks cheap.

cwop
02-27-2010, 12:30 PM
i agree with you makes a nice gun look cheap. i d rather they spent the money on a high polish then it would look great.

bob

Quickshot
02-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Com'on guys! I wouldn't want one that didn't have it that way. Bought a new one with it that way and bought a used one and if it had had the bolt altered I would not have bought it. Proud Savage owner. Quick

steveinwv
02-27-2010, 04:50 PM
You mean you saw the "stupid" 'Savage' on the bolt and you still bought it. Pfffft, I wouldn't personally throw the word "stupid" around so much.

My brother said the same thing when my girlfriend bought her VLP .22-250......."stupid"................he still looks "stupid" when she smokes his 'free of stupid stencilling' 700 Remingtons...............and I'll place money on him buying one of these Savages once he gets tired of being pounded..............even with the "stupid" stencilling on the bolt. You bought a nice gun. Shoot it and quit looking at the bolt.

edit.....Guess what I'm gonna call my brother when he does buy one?

TnTom
02-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Thought I might run a couple of spotters through it today but ended up cleaning it real good and doing some bullet jump calculations. I'll load up 10 69gr Noslers tonight and try for 2400 - 2600 fps and run them at .015' from the lands and do the bore break in at the same time.

steveinwv
02-27-2010, 07:28 PM
69 nosler, 26.0 varget, 0.010" jump, rem 7-1/2 primer. Very accurate.

TnTom
02-27-2010, 09:58 PM
I went a little (well maybe very) anemic but only built 5. I set the jump at .015 with 23gr Varget, WSR. I'll build 5 more with 26gr. and jump .010" after I see what the first 5 do. Do you recall what your velocity was at with 26grs?

Wind blew hard and cold again today which made it easy to fiddle. (lows 40's and 10 -15 knots) For middle Tn that's a winter day.

steveinwv
02-27-2010, 10:37 PM
I would have started at 24.5 and went up 0.5 at a time from there. Velocity a little over 3000fps.

savageboy
02-27-2010, 10:40 PM
If you want to do anything to it, bed it and put a better trigger on it. That was the rig that got me interested in lr shooting.

TnTom
02-28-2010, 02:01 AM
I got into LR (actually MR) with my AR but but never tried it with a bolt gun. Love my WOA.

I was going back and forth on this one .223 Rem or .308 since I had all the stuff set up for .223 I decided it will do for the summer and maybe re-barrel in the fall or get another in .308 whatever probably get another.

I'll bed it more than likely but the trigger is so nice. I haven't shot one that was any better. I'll pressure hone this one and it should come off at half of what it is now. I'm estimating about 10oz and thats plenty soft for me. I put a Geissele in my AR, sweet but too much money. Jewels are nice to.

I just wish that this one came with a 1:7 barrel out of the box.

savageboy
02-28-2010, 02:08 AM
I have a Jewell on one of my AR's. Its sweet. when I said bed, I meant, replace the lug w/ a SSS lug then look at the trigger. that will allow you to get the gest band for your buck out of your BVSS.

TnTom
02-28-2010, 02:49 AM
What would the recoil lug have to do with the trigger? You lost me? If the recoil lug isn't flat and parallel I can fix that or make my own.

I'd have to have a pretty good reason to do anything with the trigger. I don't think there's an after market out there any better. Except maybe Geisele. Iv'e shot Timneys, Jards, JB ent., Jewells, Compass Lake and there all about the same. Actually the JB single stage was probably the crispest trigger i've used.

savageboy
02-28-2010, 03:45 AM
I was just letting you know what I did w/ mine. If you are happy w/ the trigger don't change it.
It prob. could benefit from an aftermarket recoil lug- such as an SSS or other ground .25" one bedded w/ a good expoy like a devcon.

TnTom
02-28-2010, 09:31 PM
I misunderstood a little.

If I had to pick something to get out of the way its the safety device integrated into the trigger. At the most it might have been designed to be a very small button on the trigger face.

By bedding the lug do you mean only the lug?

savatage
02-28-2010, 10:51 PM
TnTom, I have the btcss in .223 . It shoots as good as it looks.Laminate thumb-hole with heavy stainless barrel .Loves the 69 gr bthp.You will like it alot.Gary

GaCop
03-01-2010, 07:27 AM
I misunderstood a little.

If I had to pick something to get out of the way its the safety device integrated into the trigger. At the most it might have been designed to be a very small button on the trigger face.

By bedding the lug do you mean only the lug?

Bed the recoil lug and under the receiver ring. Make sure the tang is fully floated all the way around. A sheet of notebook paper should slide all the way around the edge. The bedding at the recoil lug touches only the face of the lug, sides and bottom are floated.