PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with Savage Arms warranty/CS

aubie515
11-26-2013, 10:01 AM
I called Savage Arms yesterday to discuss sending back my Axis 223 bolt face. I believe that the ejector has broken and I cannot simply replace the ejector as it seems to be stuck inside of the ejector hole. The woman I spoke with said Savage has a one year warranty from date of purchase. I bought my Axis over a year ago, but just shot it for the first time not even two weeks ago. I was going to send in bolt face to see if they can repair/replace the item. The woman told me that I needed to send in the entire bolt, which I didn't want to do since I'm going to be hunting with the rifle for PA rifle season. I also didn't want to send in the bolt because I didn't want to risk Savage replacing my bolt/bolt knob with a factory one since I had a new bolt knob installed and I had the bolt body cerakoted with micro slick.

The woman on the phone couldn't tell me one way or the other if Savage would warranty the bolt face. I told her I ended up buying another complete rifle, just to get the bolt face, so it wouldn't ruin my rifle season. I also told her that I worked in a repair department for a large flashlight company and said Savage's CS/warranty was terrible.

This is the first time I ever called Savage for anything and I own a few Savage rifles.

I'm happy with Savage in terms of performance in the rifles, but I must say that I'm completely underwhelmed with their CS.

Once MidwayUSA has the bolt faces back in stock, I'm going to order two to have as spares, just so I won't have to deal with Savage in the future. The bolt faces are inexpensive enough, but I didn't feel that I should have to purchase another one because the company does not stand behind their product. I don't like the fact that I only have 20 rounds down my Axis and because I didn't have the opportunity to shoot it over a year after purchase that I'm "out of luck."

The flashlight company that I worked for had a lifetime warranty. We would get flashlights that were as old as the company and the company still honored the warranty even if those flashlight models were discontinued.

davemuzz
11-26-2013, 10:22 AM
You purchased a rifle and it took you over a year to shoot it?

Stockrex
11-26-2013, 10:46 AM
I have more than few rifles that have not shot yet some took few years to shoot
Op, savage policy probably dictates not sending out parts to lay person.

I have learned the hard way to have back up for even the backup

wbm
11-26-2013, 11:42 AM
I told her I ended up buying another complete rifle, just to get the bolt face, so it wouldn't ruin my rifle season

So did you take the bolt face off the new rifle and put it on the first rifle?

RP12
11-26-2013, 12:05 PM
You purchased a rifle and it took you over a year to shoot it?I do that all the time.:noidea:

RP12
11-26-2013, 12:15 PM
I've had that from time to time as well. It depends on who you talk to. I called for a new extractor, "under warranty" and the guy told me 10 bucks + shipping ? I called for something else another time, and asked again about a new extractor while I was on the phone and the lady sent out the extractor, detent ball and spring, free of charge. Just think how hard it is to explain to them that I just bought a gun brand new, that was made 9 years ago. You would think they could look up the warranty card for verification, right ?

davemuzz
11-26-2013, 12:22 PM
I have found that when purchasing a new rifle or handgun, that if your going to experience an issue with it, usually it's going to happen within the first 30 days of ownership. So, I make it a point of taking any new firearm out and shooting as many rounds thru it as possible. I sent back to Smith & Wesson two 44 magnums within the first 60 days because of issues that I don't even recall now. Smith sent me prepaid boxes and the firearms were fixed quickly and I haven't had a problem with them since.

Perhaps it's just me, but when firearms are involved I shoot 'em enough to get the "warm fuzzy's" before I consider 'em good enough to be a permanent part of my gun safe.

FWIW

Dave

RP12
11-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I would do that also, but I have to drive forever just to shoot. I live in the city, so I can't just shoot anytime.

ss750
11-26-2013, 06:53 PM
So they told you there was a possibility it could be fixed under warranty, even though your warranty had expired? They told you to send the whole bolt in, and you refused? I don't understand what else you could want them to do. They're prob wanting the whole bolt to try and verify that it hasn't been shot very much. For all they know, you've shot it everyday for the past year and half and are just trying to get some work done for free.

If you really did buy a new gun then just use that bolt and send the broken one in and see if they fix it for free. If they send you a new one sans your bolt handle and cerakote, then you have an issue.

RP12
11-27-2013, 11:08 AM
To the OP'er I think your being a little hard on the CS dept. They do have protocol to follow too. If you don't want to send in the bolt, (I understand why), just order the parts you need from them, if you can. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I don't think they were out of line.

buggybuilder
11-27-2013, 12:08 PM
I purchased a Savage FCV model 12 in a .22-250 about a year ago. Could not get it to shoot no matter what I did or what reloading components I bought. Called Savage (be very nice and courteous!). Sent rifle to Savage. Had to make several calls. I was told that because I shot reloads warranty would be an issue. Another call made. Talked to another fellow and I told him "that rifle never shot worth a crap since I got it". He said they would send it to the range to see if that was true. One week later, rec'd a call from Savage, they were very sorry for my problem (the barrel was extremely defective) and I would be receiving a new rifle at no cost. As far as I'm concerned, SAVAGE is AA+++. (I do feel that one secret is to be NICE and COURTEOUS !!) To some of these employees it is just a job OR they can go the extra mile and really help you out

HaYen
11-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Similar experience with a Stevens. Called Savage because after firing two rounds each following shot would string high right. The woman I initially spoke to told me to sand down the high spots in the stock. I said I didn't feel I should have "work" on a new rifle. She said UPS would be by the next day to pick up the rifle and I should hear back from them in 2 weeks. Cool. After three weeks I get a call from another individual stating there was nothing wrong with the rifle and it shot two groups at 1.3 and 1.5 inch groups. I called them the next day as soon as they opened. I told the woman the ambient temps in Arizona was much higher then where they were shooting so yeah they probably wouldn't see the issue. She argued and said it shot fine for them. "so you only make rifles that shoot in the cooler Northeast?" She did offer to send me a new stock. Finally, the woman who said to send in the rifle got on the phone. She said they were gong to replace my stock.

When I got the rifle back, I put a box of Black Hills 30-06 through the the rifle. Prior to sending the rifle to Savage I put maybe 20 rounds through it. They did send me two targets that shot 1.3 and 1.5. So maybe 40 rounds through the rifle total? From the Black Hills box I clover leafed 5 rounds into a group that could be covered with a quarter.

I appreciated what the Savage CS rep did but I couldn't stop there :-)

Based on there email nomenclature I was able to figure out the CEO's email. I sent him an email stating what had transpired. I also said "1.3 and 1.5? Really?" I sent him a pic of the group I did after the stock replacement. I offered my services as a test shooter :-)

A week later I got a response email from the head of marketing. He said he was replying because issues like should go to him and not the CEO. He was glad I got my problem resolved; was elated that the rifle shot such a tight group; and did not take me up on my job offer LOL.

When the NRA show was last in town I go t to meet that CS rep (the helpful one). I showed the a nickel-ed 223 brass that I shot a perfect hole through with my Mod 20 22-250. We also discussed a custom 260 (they didn't offer that caliber at the time) for me.

I would say that when dealing with CS at Savage always be nice and polite and if you don't get your issue resolved contact a supervisor or the head of Marketing.

P.S. Ron Coburn has since changed his email address :-)

aubie515
11-29-2013, 11:18 AM
My point was it wasn't worth my time to send in the bolt without knowing if they were going to repair/replace the part. I would pay to ship the item to the company and be without my rifle for at least 4 weeks for a $21 part (MidwayUSA).

There are many reasons why someone would purchase a firearm and not shoot it right away. This is a 300BlackOut and not a common caliber. I didn't have brass formed for it and some reloading components weren't exactly easy to locate in the last year.

I will continue to buy Savage rifles as I favor them for DIY, but I'm merely stating that their CS is sub par. As I stated in my OP, I worked for Streamlight in the repair department and we never gave customers a hard time over silly warranty stuff. I wasn't asking for a new rifle...I was asking to have an item repaired/replaced considering it was the first time the rifle was fired.

For those who suggested on being nice over the phone. How do you know that I wasn't nice on the phone? I wasn't going to kiss her butt, but I wasn't rude either. At the end of the day a stripped bolt face from MidwayUSA is $21 and I'll be buying mutiples once it's available for purchase. I just don't feel that customers should have to buy a part to repair a rifle that was just fired.

So they told you there was a possibility it could be fixed under warranty, even though your warranty had expired? They told you to send the whole bolt in, and you refused? I don't understand what else you could want them to do. They're prob wanting the whole bolt to try and verify that it hasn't been shot very much. For all they know, you've shot it everyday for the past year and half and are just trying to get some work done for free.

If you really did buy a new gun then just use that bolt and send the broken one in and see if they fix it for free. If they send you a new one sans your bolt handle and cerakote, then you have an issue.

J.Baker
11-29-2013, 11:33 AM
P.S. Ron Coburn has since changed his email address :-)

News Flash - Ron Coburn is no longer the CEO of Savage. He retired in February.

http://www.masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2013/02/ronald_coburn_to_retire_at_savage_arms_i.html

Mach2
11-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Not shooting a new rifle purchase for a long period is not unusual but you should have tested the rifle before you did work on it. Once I mod a gun I consider it mine and any problems thereafter as mine.
Savage did fix the prob. It can take a while and some patient effort to repair any issue on a firearm.

Dennis
11-29-2013, 06:58 PM
I have to state flashlights and firearms are two completely different items.

Certain areas are flagged on firearm parts. The bolt head is one of them.

I would have to say this involves liability more than customer service.

JMO,

Dennis

buggybuilder
11-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Do not reply to me about how much people complain about Savage or make comments on my post please. I only posted my experience with Savage and that a good attidude may help you in your situation whatever it may be. In my book Savage is AAA+++ and for that reason I have bought several of them in the last 6 months.
Thank you
buggybuilder

pappy83
11-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Wow was that ejector really stuck that bad it needed to go back. I have smoked ejectors so hard, try 43.8 of varget under a 215 berger in lapua brass that will break a ejector pretty quick but never had one that wouldn't come out with some soaking. We leave them out of the f class rigs and just plan on replacing them in the hunting guns. I hope savage takes care of you, they have always bent over backwards for my kid to make sure she has parts when needed. That's why we just ordered 2 more barrels from CBI for her fclass rig.

HaYen
12-10-2013, 11:13 PM
"For those who suggested on being nice over the phone. How do you know that I wasn't nice on the phone? I wasn't going to kiss her butt, but I wasn't rude either. At the end of the day a stripped bolt face from MidwayUSA is $21 and I'll be buying multiples once it's available for purchase. I just don't feel that customers should have to buy a part to repair a rifle that was just fired."

If I suggested you were rude I apologize. I agree that a customer not have to purchase a new part after firing a rifle for the first time. I don't think a customer should have to file down a high spot on a rifle stock they just purchased.

I purchased a Remington model 799 in a 22-250 with the intent of swapping out the barrel for a 260. Only after I purchased the rifle did I find out the 799 action is not built on a 308 AS but a smaller action. It would barely take a 22-250 cartridge. I did not shoot the rifle at all. Two years later I sold the rifle to a family member. The extractor did fit right and would slip . I called Remington and they said

"Its not their responsibility. Call EAA" I told them it had their name on the action. They said "Call EAA" Never purchased a Remington again.

Stockrex
12-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Op
Pls forgive us we know not what we say...just thought I would break out in a song.
As I have aged I have learned not to take it out on the little guy.
Calling cs is like dealing with my ex. The results are not always the same.
But like u I don't want to or have the patience.
I give the business one chance to make it right when I take my concerns to the top. If that fails I look towards fine legal representation.
You are correct u shouldn't have jump through an obstacle course. but I would put your concerns and disappointmentsin an email to savage mmgmt .

Ps: I have a 799 too, it would take pliers to cycle the bolt. I took it to my smith, they are warranty repair place for remmy. They fixed it at no charge.