PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum - Anybody have a Savage 112 FVSS in a 300 win mag - need info!

jmbarn
11-25-2013, 11:28 PM
I have a Savage 112 FVSS in a 300 win mag with a 26" varmint taper barrel, made in savage custom shop several years ago. I am using 190 grain berger hunting vlds and 210 vlds hunting. Having problems with points of impact changing and group sizes. Sorry, don't know all the terms, new to this forum. Trying to get gun to shoot under 3/4 moa at 100 yards. Does anyone else have this gun that is exceptionally accurate? What did you do to get it accurate? Any info or advice on this?

mike21
11-25-2013, 11:35 PM
I have no personal experience with the VLD's yet, but this is from the Berger website and it may be of some help.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/getting-the-best-precision-and-accuracy-from-vld-bullets-in-your-rifle/

bootsmcguire
11-25-2013, 11:51 PM
First off just as a troubleshooting measure I would check all your scope bases, rings, and whatever and make sure they are not loose in any way. With the scope off check that the mounts are tight to the action. This can be a problem with some brands of bases due to their screws bottoming out before the mount is actually drawn down tight.

Next be sure your barrel is free floated. If the barrel is contacting he stock this can cause erratic groupings some times.

Also you may want to mount another scope (of known precision if possible) and try it if you have another one. Even if the scope you are currently using has performed well, they are precision instruments and can fail.

Most times problems such as these are related to scope mounting issues, failed scopes, or barrel contact.