PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible? Special order saveage 110

1simplemann
11-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Hello, I'm an archery nut who now wants to rifle hunt w/ his SnL. We went on a rifle cow elk hunt and had a blast. I can see this becoming an annual thing. We are hunting very open terrain and long shots are probable if not the norm. I quickly realized that I need a gun/caliper capable for the conditions. I've settled on a .300 Win Mag. Next is the gun. I've looked at the Sendero, Weatherby and Savage FCP and also a HS Precision. There are things I like about all of them. Looks are important, feel is important, weight is important. Price is a consideration also but I'm not opposed to having one nice long range rifle in the safe. Anyway, today I shouldered a 110 FCp HS Precision. This gun had the best feel of all of them to me. Plus I really like the safety. I grew up shooting double barrels and the safety just feels natural to me. What I didn't care for was the looks and the heavy barrel. I want a lighter fluted 26"barrel. I also don't care for an all black rifle. HS Precision stocks come in a variety of colors and shapes. The shape on the FCP was excellant plus I like that "filled" my hands. It just felt right. I just don't care for the black stock. So in order for me to get a gun that feels right and looks good to me,do I have to build a custom gun or can I order one the way I want it?

1simplemann
11-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Basically, I like the look of the action and barrel of the FCP-K(discontinued) but not the stock. I like the feel new FCP but not the barrel. So I want a FCP stock in my color of choice and a barrel like the FCP-K maybe w/o the the brake(I haven't decided yet).

jonbearman
11-25-2013, 12:44 AM
It would be easiest to have it painted or wrapped for half the cost of maybe a factory option if it were available. Keep the brake idea as follow up shots are way easier.

Dennis
11-25-2013, 01:51 AM
Anyway, today I shouldered a 110 FCp HS Precision. This gun had the best feel of all of them to me.

This one will do the job and is very accurate straight out of the box, JMO.

Dennis

1simplemann
11-25-2013, 09:23 PM
I was told you guys have the answers to my Savage questions. Anybody have some feedback to my questions?

seanhagerty
11-25-2013, 09:37 PM
The right answer is to call savage and ask. I have never heard of anyone doing this, but that doesnt mean you cant!!

J.Baker
11-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Savage will make you anything you want so long as it consists of parts that are standard production parts. They WILL NOT make any custom items for you such as 30" light sporter barrel in .600 Nitro Express or a VLP stock inlet for a sporter barrel. So to answer your question, if they offer the barrel length and contour you want on another rifle then yes, they can mate it to an action and slap it in pretty much any stock they offer on another model.

Just expect to pay close to or even more than the MSRP of a similar model as they do charge you a premium since someone has to take the time out of their usual duties to go from station to station through the factory to get it assembled and proofed.

JMGlasgow
11-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Last time I asked, they would charge around $200 to swap barrels. I was considering getting the FLCP-K and wanted the non fluted barrel. They don't offer that in lefty so I asked if I could have it swapped, they said yes but it would be an extra charge and six weeks to deliver.

bootsmcguire
11-26-2013, 12:35 AM
If you like the FCP-K except for the stock, I would look at gunbroker, gunsamerica, and similar "ebay" type gun sites and even call some of the bigger stores like basspro, cabelas, etc. and see if the FCP-K can be found as NOS. Then just buy the stock you want and slap her on. Pretty simple and I would venture to bet a lot cheaper than custom ordering from Savage directly.

1simplemann
11-27-2013, 12:12 AM
If you like the FCP-K except for the stock, I would look at gunbroker, gunsamerica, and similar "ebay" type gun sites and even call some of the bigger stores like basspro, cabelas, etc. and see if the FCP-K can be found as NOS. Then just buy the stock you want and slap her on. Pretty simple and I would venture to bet a lot cheaper than custom ordering from Savage directly.My thoughts exactly! Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is NOS?

keeki
11-27-2013, 07:21 AM
NOS, new old stock

Jetpig
11-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Not difficult to remove the barrel and get it fluted. Make the stock your own. Get it baked in what ever color you wish! Just buy the rifle and get started! The cost is well within reach.