PDA

View Full Version : Treestand Ethics

thermaler
11-24-2013, 06:22 PM
I hunt a public area which is under heavy pressure due to it's relatively small size and easy access. On the right day I've seen deer there (today wasn't one) but have noticed that someone is leaving stands semi-permanently installed in strategic corners of the field in ideal trees. They are secured by metal chain and locks around the trees and in one case has ladder in place as well. The rules for hunting the area state that nothing can be left in place longer than 24 hours--as well as no damage may be done to the trees--but these stands have been up longer--one I've seen there every time I've been there for the last month --and in one case rack hangers have been drilled into the trees. Part of me says what the heck, who cares--but the other part says someone is getting an unfair advantage at everyone else's expense. I'm a beginner at the hunting game--so don't really know if it really makes that much difference. What do you all think?

pdog2062
11-24-2013, 06:57 PM
To me rules apply to everyone to the same degree.Breaking the hunting regulations should be reported to the authorities,whether it is poaching,over limit or whatever.The rules are to be enforced the same for everyone or someone gets an unfair advantage or the shaft on the other side.Turn them in.

BoilerUP
11-24-2013, 06:57 PM
If you are concerned, drop a dime with the DNR/Fish and Game folks.

Don't mess with somebody else's property.

thermaler
11-24-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm on the fence on this one--if it really makes a difference to everyone else's hunt I'm thinking I would report it. I once talked to an old hunter who says he leaves stands in place because he just isn't physically able to carry them in (bad back etc.).

JackinSD
11-24-2013, 09:18 PM
In the first post you already answered your question. "Part of me says what the heck, who cares--but the other part says someone is getting an unfair advantage at everyone else's expense." Then you say, in the second post, "I'm on the fence on this one--if it really makes a difference to everyone else's hunt I'm thinking I would report it."

This is pretty simple stuff. Make a call.

thermaler
11-24-2013, 10:01 PM
In the first post you already answered your question. "Part of me says what the heck, who cares--but the other part says someone is getting an unfair advantage at everyone else's expense." Then you say, in the second post, "I'm on the fence on this one--if it really makes a difference to everyone else's hunt I'm thinking I would report it."

This is pretty simple stuff. Make a call.I'm just a beginner hunter--so I don't know how common this is or how others deal with it.

JackinSD
11-24-2013, 11:44 PM
It doesn't matter how common breaking the rules are, does it? You can stand by and watch everyone be taken advantage of, or you can make a call. If you cannot make this decision, you probably should not be out hunting making much more serious decisions.

TC260
11-25-2013, 12:43 AM
It's a good question. I've run across climbers lots of times in the woods and never pay any attention to em. Although with a climber chained on, if I wanted to hunt that tree I could just put mine above it and climb the tree anyway. They're technically breaking the rules but it's not doing any harm to anything so I choose to let them be.

With a ladder stand it's a different deal. The couple times I've run across full on ladder stands they were in such idiotic locations I figured they were never going to see a deer anyway and they're never going to bother me where I'm at so not reporting it was probably a win for everybody else if they just keep hunting there. Beyond that though I'd probably call it in. If people are making it so you can't hunt the trees you want that's not cool. There's no reservations on public land.

thermaler
11-25-2013, 01:59 AM
It doesn't matter how common breaking the rules are, does it? You can stand by and watch everyone be taken advantage of, or you can make a call. If you cannot make this decision, you probably should not be out hunting making much more serious decisions.Really? I've been out 8 times and I've seen left-behind stands and blinds on half the hunts--though you are allowed to leave them for 24 hours in some areas.

JackinSD
11-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Yes really! Everyone so far has told you to make the call. If you don't like the advise don't use it. But, don't continue to come up with excuses for yourself. How old are you? It's like to talking to a kid that says "but, but, but......"

nso123
11-25-2013, 06:59 PM
It is public land. Climb the tree next to those stands and don't worry about it. You have as much right to be there as they do. Folks tend to forget that public land is just that... public. The first to the spot gets it on public land and draw hunts in my opinion.

pdog2062
11-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Remember,character and ethics are what you do when no one is looking

john800
11-25-2013, 11:10 PM
I understand the point most are making when they say its against the rules, but I would not make a call to a game warden over stands being left in place, not saying its right just saying I would not call and I wouldnt loose any sleep over it.

jbjh
11-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Only an extra hour past sunset...just one extra deer...no me saw me trespass...etc...It's either the right thing, or the wrong thing.

john800
11-26-2013, 12:49 AM
Here in MN portable stands are allowed out indefinately on most public land, but some areas designated and set aside for hunting they can not be left out overnight. I guess I wonder what the intent of the law is. why is this area different? or are they not allowed out for 24 hours an all public land. I am not trying to push you either way, I am just wondering why they would make the rule and what they are trying to accomplish.

thermaler
11-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Here in MN portable stands are allowed out indefinately on most public land, but some areas designated and set aside for hunting they can not be left out overnight. I guess I wonder what the intent of the law is. why is this area different? or are they not allowed out for 24 hours an all public land. I am not trying to push you either way, I am just wondering why they would make the rule and what they are trying to accomplish.I don't really know--and the rules can vary in the same area depending on the time of season. During the general archery season stands can only be left behind in some areas for the day or at most 24 hours--but in the same area during a firearm hunt they may be left up during the entire duration of the general hunt (You'd think it would be the other way around, right?) I'm guessing in high-pressure areas it's a combination of QDM and hunter management. I'm beginning to learn that understanding the hunter pressures and where deer can be driven to is part of the "game" around here.

TC260
11-26-2013, 10:51 AM
I am just wondering why they would make the rule and what they are trying to accomplish.

Down here in south Louisiana the woods would be completely littered with stands if it were legal to leave them out. There's a ton of hunters on relatively small pieces of public land and 99% of hunters use stands so I don't think it's practical here they way it may be in other parts of the country.

yobuck
11-26-2013, 10:59 AM
ive never hunted archery or hunted from a tree stand during rifle season.
but if i wanted to and came upon one on public land id use it. if the owner came by id leave.
but not without letting him know im gonna use his stands if he leaves them.