PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10TR First Day at the Range- Savage Noob blown away

ssnole
11-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Hi all, first post, just had to pass on my impressions of my first Savage rifle.

So I decided to jump into the Tactical Rifle pool. After doing a lot of research, a lot of it here on SS, I set my sights on a 20" 10TR. Then I found out they were as easy to find as teeth belonging to a leprechaun's hen. I got lucky and found one, and had it shipped.

I took it apart, cleaned it and remounted the stock torquing the accustock per Savage's instructions. I mounted my 15 year old Nikon Monarch 3.5x10x50 with the EGW base and a set of Burris XTR low rings. I also put on a Beartooth comb raising kit which I already had (may get a stock pack going forward). Here is how it turned out:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11020639636_4a31913743_b.jpg

I picked up three different boxes of ammunition, Federal Gold Match Sierra Matchking 168, and two inexpensive 180grain hunting loads (Remington Core Lokts and Winchester Power Points). I was hoping the SMKs would shoot well and also hoped to luck into a relatively inexpensive deer round that was accurate.

The rifle shot great with recoil very managable. I had planned on putting on a brake, but I will see. I started at 25 firing 1 shot, cleaning, then went to 3 shot groups and cleaning. After 9 rounds fired, I moved to 100 yards and shot a 3 round group with the SMKs, it was .58" on a clean barrel (no fouling shot). I wasn't sure if that was a fluke, but I was pretty impressed. I wound up shooting 4 groups with the SMKs and they measured .58, .51. .22:eek: and a 1.4 that was operator error.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3790/11020639066_19749ca729_b.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3690/11020705374_f7a1f0dddc_b.jpg
I realize the .22" group looks like a two shot, but it is three. Unfortunately, the rifle did not like the Remington or Winchester 180s. Those groups were all over 1". Any recommendations on a good hunting factory load? I have heard that the Ballistic Tips shoot well, but can't find any of their 180s.

There was one thing that concerned me about the rifle. A couple of times the bolt failed to pick up the next round out of the magazine. It could have been me failing to properly seat the mag, it seems a little finicky to seat. Other than that, I am thoroughly blown away by this rifle. A few years ago I would never have believed that a 20" barrel (especially on a Savage) would have been capable of such accuracy. I am now a true believer!

Thank you for a great forum, it really shortened my learning curve and put me on track.

CAPTBEACH
11-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Try some FGMM 175...although your rifle does seem to like the 168's...BTW...nice stick...and I love the old Monarchs...had one myself..great scopes...

thomae
11-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Congratulations. You obviously know a little about shooting already to have groups like that.

If it were me, I'd try some other weights in hunting rounds.
150g, 165g, even reduced recoil 125g are all "enough bullet" to take a deer. Since you are not handloading right now, you will have to simply try different ammo until you find one that works for you.

The other thing is that the vital area on a deer is about the size of a paper plate (maybe a small one). There are many successful hunters who have used rifles that shot greater than MOA to put food on the table.

Sounds to me like you made a great start and are doing well.

BoilerUP
11-24-2013, 11:02 AM
150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips...

Jamie
11-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Good deal. For the. 308 Win I have had lots of luck in 165-168 grain class and never had luck with Corelokts. Ballistic Tips, Accubond or even try some 165 blue box Federals. It is a very commonly believed myth that short barrels are less accurate.

markb317
11-24-2013, 02:49 PM
I would stick with the 168 gn. bullets in your 308 that is a very good weight for hunting at ranges most shots are taken.

missed
11-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Since your gun likes the sierra 168 grain match bullet I would try to find some ammo that uses the sierra 165 grain game king, it shoots dang near identical to the 168SMK in my 308.

ssnole
11-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses and suggestions.

Thomae- That is the cool part, I don't have a lot of experience in precision shooting. I have hunted most of my life, but this rifle allowed me to shoot better groups than any I have owned before.

Taking in the advice given above, I am going to put together a short list of factory offerings to try please let me know if you have any experience in a similar rifle, or pros or cons. I appreciate the input.

Winchester Supreme 168 Ballistic Silvertips (can't seem to find any available right now)
Black Hills Accubond 180 or Barnes 168 TSX
Hornady Superformance 165 GMX, Interbond or SST
Federal Premium Siera Gameking 165
Barnes Vortx TTSX 168

john800
11-24-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses and suggestions.

Thomae- That is the cool part, I don't have a lot of experience in precision shooting. I have hunted most of my life, but this rifle allowed me to shoot better groups than any I have owned before.

Taking in the advice given above, I am going to put together a short list of factory offerings to try please let me know if you have any experience in a similar rifle, or pros or cons. I appreciate the input.

Winchester Supreme 168 Ballistic Silvertips (can't seem to find any available right now)
Black Hills Accubond 180 or Barnes 168 TSX
Hornady Superformance 165 GMX, Interbond or SST
Federal Premium Siera Gameking 165
Barnes Vortx TTSX 168

I have never sot any factory loads through my 308 so I cant comment, one thing I will say is that I have had sevral bad experiances with solid copper bulets, I wouldnt use another one unless it was on elk or moose. any of the soft point or poly tipped bullets should work fine, I would probobly try to stick with 150 or 165 gr in a 308. another thing I have noticed is that the fedral factory loads seem to consistantly shoot well in genral, but if your gun shoots like my mod 11 vt in 308 it will shoot pretty much whatever you want good enough to take a deer and them some

big honkin jeep
11-25-2013, 02:25 AM
Other than that, I am thoroughly blown away by this rifle. A few years ago I would never have believed that a 20" barrel (especially on a Savage) would have been capable of such accuracy. I am now a true believer! Thank you for a great forum, it really shortened my learning curve and put me on track. Welcome and don't believe all the hype about needing a big fat barrel for accuracy either. Many sporter barreled Savages are quite capable of just as good of groups as you're getting from the 10TR. Even many of the older flatbacks will do it. That's why many of us are such big fans. Again welcome and enjoy the site.

WNY_Whitetailer
11-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I have a 10 TR heading my way as well. I was finally able to find one. Glad to hear about your success with the ammo you chose.