PDA

View Full Version : too much girth.

SlimySquirrel
11-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Man, I have a Choate stock for my SA 22-250 and it is solid.

Too solid in fact. Even though it is an accurate stock even with me not having any "palm control" due to the excessive girth of the palm swell.

I can't seem to keep my eye on the target for impact and I don't feel like I can get control of the rifle.

Good thing is that the Used rifle I acquired is a decent shooter though.

I have ordered a Boyds Thumbhole stock with the black paint option and will have it pillar bedded when I get the barrel installed.

Should help with control.

J.Baker
11-23-2013, 11:21 PM
I fondled one of the Choate "A5 copies" out at SSS the other day and the grip on those things is HUGE! One could easily take 1/8-inch off each side and still have a good sized grip with a nice palm swell. Apparently they designed that particular stock for folks who wear 3XL gloves.

SlimySquirrel
11-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Hahaha.... They're hollow apparently... No skimming. Accurate though. No good for the kind of shooting I'm doing where I can be in awkward positions.

I'll see how the Boyds shapes up... did eye up the Manners T5 though but I want one with a mini chassis and that takes it past the XLR in price.

BillPa
11-24-2013, 08:12 PM
IApparently they designed that particular stock for folks who wear 3XL gloves.

My wife thought I had 3X hands when we were dating!:p

I used to have a old '80s era 110V in 223 with the factory palm swell stock. I don't think it was made to "grip", just somewhere to rest your palm while you tickled the trigger or at least it how I shot it.

Bill