PDA

View Full Version : action screw torque-ing sequence on a non-accustock?

Pages : 1 [2]

Maztech89
11-25-2013, 08:49 AM
It will turn with the extra force when it is a difference as large as you used in your example on the 1/4-28 screws we are using. Be it from the action flexing, wood crushing, or most likely bolt stretching. RP12 Correct me if I'm wrong but the way I'm reading your post is that you feel if I torque the lugs on my truck to 10 foot pounds I'm not accomplishing anything by going to the 140 I actually use? Have you any experience with fasteners and torque, bolt stretch gauges etc? Not insulting you, just wondering.

RP12
11-25-2013, 09:30 AM
It will turn with the extra force when it is a difference as large as you used in your example on the 1/4-28 screws we are using. Be it from the action flexing, wood crushing, or most likely bolt stretching. RP12 Correct me if I'm wrong but the way I'm reading your post is that you feel if I torque the lugs on my truck to 10 foot pounds I'm not accomplishing anything by going to the 140 I actually use? Have you any experience with fasteners and torque, bolt stretch gauges etc? Not insulting you, just wondering. IF THE BOLT ("DOES NOT TURN") ANY FURTER, BECAUSE IT'S AS TIGHT AS IT CAN GET, YOU CAN PUT AS MUCH FORCE ON THAT SCREW THAT YOU WANT AND NOT CHANGE TORQUE VALUE. If you torque a bolt to 30 lbs and it won't turn any more, then turn your torque wrench to 40lbs and it still does not move. Then set it to 20 lbs of coarse it's not going to move either. What is the torque value ?The original 30 or 40 or even 50 if the screw does not turn any more. You keep going back to bolt stretch, flexing, wood crushing and taking up tolerances, "ALL" those thing will be influenced and evident by the bolt turning. There is a point where the bolt will stop turning, at that point torque values mean nothing.

RP12
11-25-2013, 10:16 AM
If you tighten your action screws with an Allen key (wrench) till the key flexes, say 1/4 in of flex, the screw has "stopped" turning, then keep applying force to the key for another 1/4 in of flex, now 1/2 in total, and the screw does not turn, you have not added anymore torque to that screw.

buxman66
11-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Guys I think your points have been made. Drop it for gosh sake. This is the
same b.s. that happens on every freakin board I seem to get on! I'm a machinist
and some ppl don't get the idea of thread stretch. You don't have to ram it down the throat.

Thanks to the several few that actually wanted to address the topic that was posted.your
experience has been helpful.

RP12
11-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Again, if the threads are stretching, the screw "is turning". Not that hard to figure out. I am now done beating this dead horse.:frusty: