PDA

View Full Version : 223 bolt face

aubie515
11-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Anyone know where I can purchase a .223 bolt face for Savage Axis...I'm assuming it's the same as other Savage SA .223 bolt face. I am running out of time as I need to purchase a new 223 bolt face to repair my rifle so I can use it for PA rifle season.

Shot my Axis in 300BO and had the SSS 300BO ejector upgrade. I don't know if the new ejector is stuck in the ejector hole, but I cannot install the ejector spring and ejector on my current bolt face.

I got screwed by Gunshack, so rules them out.
I also got screwed by Savage Gunsmith as well. They were suppose to ship to me and I was promised that I would have it yesterday or today. When I called them, I was told that my bolt face never shipped and they never bothered to call to let me know.
I cannot reach SSS as they do not reply to emails and I cannot get a hold of them on the phone.

Any suggestions where I can purchase a stripped or complete 223 bolt face would be appreciated.

bootsmcguire
11-22-2013, 09:30 PM
You can check and see if Pacific Tool & Gauge has any in stock. They are a little more expensive but I am told they are a little nicer, not that they shoot better but just nicer.

You should need part number SBHSA01. Here is a link to their Savage Parts page:
http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage%20performance.htm

aubie515
11-23-2013, 01:46 AM
Saw some people review PTG bolt face on Midway saying that they were too long for the SA. I don't know how true that is...I found a clearanced Stevens 200 in 223...that I might just buy for $280 NIB instead of spending $60 on a new bolt head.

Thanks for the suggestion.

BillPa
11-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Saw some people review PTG bolt face on Midway saying that they were too long for the SA. I don't know how true that is.

At times yes. http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20631-PT-amp-G-bolt-head&highlight=bolthead

You can't always count on a custom part fitting or working correctly in a mass produced firearm. There isn't anything wrong with the PTG boltheads but they may not be right for the action/bolt body you have in hand.

Bill

bootsmcguire
11-23-2013, 02:15 PM
At times yes. http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20631-PT-amp-G-bolt-head&highlight=bolthead

You can't always count on a custom part fitting or working correctly in a mass produced firearm. There isn't anything wrong with the PTG boltheads but they may not be right for the action/bolt body you have in hand.

Bill

Very true Bill.

I want to say I have never had the need or desire to buy a PT&G bolt head so I can not speak for their performance. I just wanted to point out they were an option. Personally I have always been able to find a Savage head when needed and normally keep all the ones I remove for this reason. If I had an extra 223 I would offer to help, but at this time I only have one and its in use.

sortafast
11-23-2013, 02:42 PM
I have had 2 PT&G bolt heads and a bolt body. All have been excellent. The finish machining is a lot cleaner than the factory units. I have had no issues with the one in my 110. I will be getting another for a 308 SA I have in the works. Very happy with their stuff. Minor fitting might be required on some stuff though. Especially when dealing with some rifle models that have been in production for over half a century.

aubie515
11-23-2013, 03:37 PM
I ended up driving the 1.5hrs to Dunham's to get a Stevens 200 in 223. The counter guy was real "friendly"...he wouldn't allow me to remove the trigger lock claiming "I could shoot him in two seconds." All he had to say is his company policy would not allow for them to remove the trigger lock instead of making an idiotic comment like he did.

I just brought the rifle home and the Stevens 200 bolt face looks the same as my Axis bolt face.

I'm hoping that Savage will warranty of my Axis bolt face as it only had a few rounds through a new rifle. I did see that Savage states that bolt faces cannot be sold to anyone that isn't a gunsmith. I'm hoping I can send them my defective bolt face to swap out for a new one. I'll call them this week.