PDA

View Full Version : Removing stuck case in Re-sizing die

bsekf
11-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Anybody have a surefire method of removing a case stuck in sizing die? Ya, Ya, I'm an idiot, not enough lube and the wrong shell holder.

nso123
11-22-2013, 10:40 AM
RCBS makes a stuck case tool. I am sure someone on here will have a method of removal that works without the tool. I have been fortunate and never had a stuck case. Are you able to disassemble the die and possibly tap the case out gently?

Hotolds442
11-22-2013, 12:57 PM
I used to drill and tap the primer pocket and then use a bolt inside a 1/4" drive socket to extract. I now use the same method, except I have a grease gun full of hydraulic oil screwed into the newly tapped hole that forces the stuck case out way faster.

22 Mag
11-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Stick the die in the freezer for 2-3 hours then try again to pull the case out with the right shell holder.

22 Mag

thermaler
11-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Don't feel bad--I did that once with a case I forgot to clean; but that little bit of "goo" dirt combined with lube/oil can damage the inside of the die and score your subsequent cases

stimpylu32
11-23-2013, 10:37 AM
For most stuck case's you can just loosen the nut that holds the de-capping pin in the die , then just tap the top of the pin with a brass hammer to drive the case from the die , once you have the case out , you may have to cut the case to get it off the stem .

If you don't have a brass hammer just put a small piece of wood between the top of the stem and any hammer will work . I also keep a small hobby saw around just for cutting brass with , thank god I only have to use once in a while .

stimpy

Maztech89
11-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Most die makers I believe will remove stuck cases if you mail it in. I don't have an answer as to price or turn around time, but if you run out of options it is something to look into.

Nor Cal Mikie
11-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Good reason to get yourself a "stuck case remover". May have been your first, but most likely not your last. Plan ahead!
Nice to have one on the shelf, just in case!

DT400
11-24-2013, 04:41 PM
This is what I do.
Remove die and drill and tap bottom of case to a 1/4-28 thread.
Reinsert die in press
Use a good quality 1/4-28 counter sunk screw about 1" 1-1/2" long
Insert head of screw into the shellholder, raise the ram and thread the screw into the base of the case and pull out with the ram. If you have different shellholder find one that grabs the screw head the best.
After I did this I realized my home made design is basically what a stuck case extractor kit is if you purchase from a store but since I had it all on hand already it was free..

Darrell

Hotolds442
11-24-2013, 05:01 PM
This is what I do.
Remove die and drill and tap bottom of case to a 1/4-20 thread.
Reinsert die in press
Use a good quality 1/4-20 counter sunk screw about 1" 1-1/2" long
Insert head of screw into the shellholder, raise the ram and thread the screw into the base of the case and pull out with the ram. If you have different shellholder find one that grabs the screw head the best.
After I did this I realized my home made design is basically what a stuck case extractor kit is if you purchase from a store but since I had it all on hand already it was free..

Darrell
I love this idea! I have a spare RCBS #18 that I am going to drill and tap for a 1/4x28 bolt and leave it set up permanently. I average about 5 stuck cases per 1000 rounds of 223, this will speed up the process considerably.

DT400
11-24-2013, 05:04 PM
I love this idea! I have a spare RCBS #18 that I am going to drill and tap for a 1/4x28 bolt and leave it set up permanently. I average about 5 stuck cases per 1000 rounds of 223, this will speed up the process considerably.

Yes it works well. I did change my original post as I said 1/4-20 (course thread) when I meant 1/4-28 (fine thread) so the original post has been changed...

Darrell

geargrinder
11-24-2013, 05:16 PM
I'll put the die body in a vise with padded jaws, then give the case head a twist with a small pipe wrench or channel locks.