PDA

View Full Version : Something is binding

Texas Solo
11-22-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm working on a new wood stock for my #10. I've made some minor fit adjustments (bottom metal and mag release) and I'm happy with the fit. But when I put it all together and tighten the action screws, the bolt release (top) won't depress. If I loosen the screws a bit it works. I'm sure something needs to be relieved, but I don't know exactly what it is that's binding. I was thinking maybe the tang needs more floating, but I'm not sure.
Any advice on where to start removing material would be helpful.

J.Baker
11-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Clearly the sear is hitting something when you try to depress the bolt release, so that's what you need to relieve around. in the stock. On either side of the stock above where trigger slot is, you'll see a relieved area for the sear - it's wider than the rest of the inlet for the trigger area. The sear is contacting one of the edges in that enlarged area and causing it to bind, thus that's where you'll need to open things up a little.

This is an Axis stock, but the inlet is pretty much identical in the trigger area.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/stockinlet.jpg

One trick is to put some Inletting Black (http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/stock-making-accessories/inletting-spotting-compounds/inletting-black-gold-prod7599.aspx) on the sear and then reinsert the barreled action into the stock and tighten things up. When you pull it back out you should be able to see exactly where it's rubbing because the inletting black will have transferred from the sear to the stock.

BillPa
11-22-2013, 09:22 AM
The easiest way, use something to see where its making contact. I use inletting black/gold but something as simple a lipstick will do. Its kind of like seeing a rub mark, it will transfer to the area making contact when you snug the screws On something like the sear its best to do a small spot on a section at a time.

Bill

LOL....Quick Draw Jim beat me to it!

J.Baker
11-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Sorry Bill - I'll still give you an A for effort though. LOL

Texas Solo
11-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys, that was it. I was able to see a slight wear mark on the wood where the sear was making contact, not letting it go down far enough. The side area was close, but OK. I took a very slight amount off the side, then a little at a time to let the sear go deeper. All is good now. My next step is to do a little more floating in the tang area, as it too got tight after tightening the action screws.