PDA

View Full Version : So I got a little ahead of myself......

TheFineLine
11-22-2013, 02:26 AM
I recently bought a 114 blue in 30-06. After looking at the threads, recommendations, and pics I didn't like the look of the extended base mounts for the long action so I ordered an EGW 0moa base and Weaver quick detach medium rings. Well, I bought those before I bought a scope. The Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 I picked came in today and it is plenty long enough to not need an extended base. Now that I have all of the pieces the scope and EGW base on the 114 American Classic doesn't look that great. I have a Savage 64 that the rail will work on (or I may sell it) so it's not a waste. I'd rather not have the rail over the bolt.

So, is there a base that will work with a 49.3mm objective tube diameter and weaver quick detach medium rings? I tried the link in the sticky but just couldn't figure it out.

Thanks from the overeager new 114 owner.

n4ue
11-22-2013, 03:48 PM
TFL, hi. The base you don't like.... is it a one piece, or the kind that is shaped like a flat 'Z'??
I have a bunch of Axis rifles (and others). I have settled on both the Weaver and EGW rail models. This makes switching scopes around easy. I do this waaaay too much. ha ha

r

multitoes
12-10-2013, 01:07 PM
I recently bought a 114 blue in 30-06. After looking at the threads, recommendations, and pics I didn't like the look of the extended base mounts for the long action so I ordered an EGW 0moa base and Weaver quick detach medium rings. Well, I bought those before I bought a scope. The Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 I picked came in today and it is plenty long enough to not need an extended base. Now that I have all of the pieces the scope and EGW base on the 114 American Classic doesn't look that great. I have a Savage 64 that the rail will work on (or I may sell it) so it's not a waste. I'd rather not have the rail over the bolt.

So, is there a base that will work with a 49.3mm objective tube diameter and weaver quick detach medium rings? I tried the link in the sticky but just couldn't figure it out.

Thanks from the overeager new 114 owner.

FWIW :
I have set that same scope up on my model 10 PC -- it has a heavy barrel.
I was able to do it with low rings using the old regular Weaver bases that have been around forever so your medium rings should be fine -- as long as they have regular cross bolts (not picattiny). You might try those bases -- if they don't work you are only out $10 or so at most.
They are available gloss or matte.
Weaver packages them as a set for a bit cheaper ; the base # is 46 front and rear for the round rear Savage actions.