PDA

View Full Version : Price check

dwa
11-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Found a pre accutrigger in 300 wsm for 379.00 with wood stock. That price seem right or should I pass

goinssr
11-21-2013, 09:38 PM
I believe I'd try to get a better price. The caliber has no weight in the value of the rifle.

RP12
11-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Nor does the chambering. But seriously I think it's a bit high.

big honkin jeep
11-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Think I'd wait it out or see if they'll haggle.Sounds a little high. I don't think that one is going to fly off the shelf. Even if it does there will be another along. Cash is king. It would also help to know where you're at, firearm prices can vary a good bit based on the region.

dwa
11-21-2013, 10:18 PM
I was going to use the action for a 270 wsm build but I tried to haggle but he was stuck

FW Conch
11-21-2013, 11:29 PM
dwa, I would like to have one for a 7mm RSAUM build. If I could get one "out the door" for something near that price, at this point in time, I would think it reasonable, assuming the action is in good condition. I recently saw a Stevens 200 in 300WM for sale from a Walmart for $300, but shipping to my location, FFL fee, and Taxes would have to be added to that. The "good deals" of a few years ago don't seem to be out there right now. But Good Luck to You, and I'm sure you will find what you need. Jim

dwa
11-21-2013, 11:51 PM
It's in weatherford tx at the pawn shop if your close by

FW Conch
11-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Nope, I'm in the "Conch Republic" of Key West FLorida. Thanks anyway :-)

bootsmcguire
11-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Something to remember is that it is probably a Large shank, being a WSM and may have a standing ejector rather than a plunger ejector. It's something to consider.

FWIW actions on here have selling for between $250 and $350 depending, most factory originals bringing $275. With that thought in mind, you could sell the barrel and perhaps get $60 which means you paid roughly $320 for the action and stock. Being that its a Large Shank (I am assuming as most WSM's were but a few weren't so check) that can make it a bit more desirable, especially if you are planning on hanging a "truck axel" of a barrel on it as some people believe the Large Shank supports it better. If nothing else you get a little more "meat" around your chamber with a large shank.

If you were to buy an action online lets say for $275 shipped, and then pay your local FFL $20 for the transfer you're up to $295 and no stock or anything else. To me it seems relatively fair and you get to handle and inspect before purchase.

JMHO.

J.Baker
11-22-2013, 05:10 AM
A lot of guys on here seem to think the "steal of a deal at the pawn shop" price should be the price by which all used Savages are sold. Sorry to burst their bubbles but that just ain't gonna happen! Fair market price is dictated by two things: 1) the price of a similar new item (i.e. a similarly featured new Savage rifle), and 2) the condition of said item.

The new price is really what sets the tone because that's the direct competition to the used option. When the price of the new gun goes up it brings the price of used guns up with it. The tight-wads amongst us will adamantly argue against that fact and they will do so until they're blue in the face, but at the end of the day that's still how it's going to work. If we used their flawed way of thinking (that if it was a $300 gun 10 years ago when it was new then there's no way I'm going to pay any more than $200 for a used one today) there would literally be thousands of Savage 110's out there from the 1960's selling for less than $100. Why? Because the 110 model number is based on the fact that that's what the original MSRP was for a Savage 110 - $109.99.

Why do you think an 8-10 year old used pick-up with over 100,000 miles still commands a price $10-20,000 these days when just 20 years ago such a truck would have sold for maybe $5-10,000? It's because today a new truck will set you back $30-60,000 whereas 20 years ago the price was in the $15-30,000 range. If the price of new more than doubles then the price of used is going to more than double as well.

RP12
11-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Come on J, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel, LOL!

44magleo
11-25-2013, 03:40 PM
If you think it's a good deal, Buy it.
I got my 200 in 270 Win three years ago for $279 brand new at a clearance sale a Dick's. One of the package deals with a Simmons scope.
Leo

J.Baker
11-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Come on J, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel, LOL!

Oh trust me, I'm getting better at letting my raw thoughts sneak past the brain to fingers filter rather than letting them get sugar coated for the sake of not hurting anyone's precious little feelings. It's a tough adaptation for me, but it's one I must make because apparently some people can't comprehend things when you try to be nice and convey the information in a more friendly and pleasant manner.

Seriously though, while we all long for the good'ol days when a used Savage rifle could be bought all day long for $150-200 it just aint' going to happen. As the saying goes, "You can wish for things in one hand and crap in the other - everybody already knows which one's going to fill up first."

big honkin jeep
11-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Just my .02 I spend a lot of time on trading sites and the newer guns also have newer features not just higher prices. The old flatbacks though excellent shooters and very modular as we all know, just don't appeal to the general public like they do Savage shooters members. The general public wants the rifles they buy to come with accutriggers and accustocks, detachable boxes threaded barrels and all the other accoutrements. Even the earlier accutriggered rifles aren't much more expensive than the older flatbacks with the new models coming out with additional features. This has helped keep the price of the flatbacks rather stable in the markets I'm seeing. In my area and older flatbacks can be found from $200 to $300 from private individuals on a regular basis. Usually even a little haggle room if they sit for a week or two. Like in my earlier post some of this may be regional as my area is known for having a strong firearms market with good prices. I looked at a synthetic stocked (Bell and Carlson) duracoated flatback .243 with a scope (Tasco) and some ammo earlier tonight for $275 and an accutriggered 111 30-06 with a scope sling and hard case for $350