PDA

View Full Version : what bolt face do i need for a 204ruger?

savage-custom
11-21-2013, 06:56 PM
ji . sorry the faq link on bolt face questions seems to be broken. I want to know what bolt face i need for a 204 ruger? thanks in advance.

RP12
11-21-2013, 07:06 PM
I don't know the size, but it's the same as the .223 Rem.

bootsmcguire
11-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Remember that the Long and Short actions use different bolt heads so you will want a 223/204 (.373") bolt face for your action size. Also IIRC the Edge/Axis rifles use the Short action type bolt heads.

RP12
11-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Edited first post. I looked it up and it said .384, sorry.

bootsmcguire
11-21-2013, 09:52 PM
.373" is the brass head dimension IIRC. .384" may be correct for the actual face diameter of the bolt head.

Normally people refer to the bolt heads based off of what size the brass is that they fit. Wasn't trying to correct you or anything like that as per the actual measurement across the face of the bolt head .384" is probably about right. I just wanted to make sure that the OP took into consideration the action length he was dealing with before purchasing a bolt head as it does make a difference.

RP12
11-21-2013, 09:54 PM
I just figured I was wrong. It has happened before LOL.

savage-custom
11-21-2013, 11:16 PM
thanks for the replies fellas. I am looking to buy a savage varmint action and a criterion barrel from northland shooters supply. the problem is that he doesn't have any actions with a .378 bolt face in his current inventory and he said he has been having a hard time getting them... so if i wanted to order one from him the wait time could be long. he suggested i could buy an action and replace the bolt face... usually $25 ish part at midway or whatever. seems like everyone is out of them though. then I was looking at pacific tool and gauge and they sell a custom machined bolt face for like $50 ish which would be fine but now I'm a little confused on what I would need. they have four different bolt face part numbers for the short action? I thought there was only 2? (equivilant to the .378 and .473 factory sizes?)

bootsmcguire
11-21-2013, 11:58 PM
thanks for the replies fellas. I am looking to buy a savage varmint action and a criterion barrel from northland shooters supply. the problem is that he doesn't have any actions with a .378 bolt face in his current inventory and he said he has been having a hard time getting them... so if i wanted to order one from him the wait time could be long. he suggested i could buy an action and replace the bolt face... usually $25 ish part at midway or whatever. seems like everyone is out of them though. then I was looking at pacific tool and gauge and they sell a custom machined bolt face for like $50 ish which would be fine but now I'm a little confused on what I would need. they have four different bolt face part numbers for the short action? I thought there was only 2? (equivilant to the .378 and .473 factory sizes?)

PT&G part number SBHSA01 should be what you need for a Short Action. Here's their webpage.
http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage%20performance.htm

Bike Effects
11-22-2013, 02:55 AM
I just ordered and received a bolt head from Savage. The shipped the day after I ordered it.

gpb11
11-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Will Savage sell a bolt head to a non-gunsmith? I thought that Savage restricted the sale of some parts to gunsmiths only, which struck me as strange since places like Midway would sell the same part to anyone.

Bike Effects
11-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Will Savage sell a bolt head to a non-gunsmith? I thought that Savage restricted the sale of some parts to gunsmiths only, which struck me as strange since places like Midway would sell the same part to anyone.

Yes. You can ask them for instructions for an email release of liability.

gpb11
11-22-2013, 02:58 PM
To: Bike Effects re: post #11

Thanks for the information. Good to know.

bootsmcguire
11-22-2013, 06:17 PM

By Midway and such places selling the parts, it releases Savage of the liability since they did not sell the part to the consumer if I understand it correctly. And most of those places have one of those statements saying things like "all gun repair and work should be performed by a knowledgeable gunsmith" and "seller assumes no liability for what the consumer does with these products" etc, etc.

Yes. You can ask them for instructions for an email release of liability.

Good to know. First I have heard of that. Handy information when the parts cannot be found elsewhere.