PDA

View Full Version : Help with Savage 110

bfuentes
02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Hello, I have posted this in the aftermarket stock forum already and I apologize for the redundancy of this question. I have a savage 110 LA with a blind magazine in .30-06. I recently purchased a boyds Ross FT thumbhole stock and was in the process of transferring everything over when I got to the blind magazine box, follow, and spring. I am not sure how to remove the box and follower and would like some assistance in doing so. I don't want to damage the box or spring. Or should I just buy another box, follow and spring?

thanks in advanced.

JCalhoun
02-26-2010, 05:09 PM
You can compress the mag box with a c-clamp until the lips are clear of the grooves in the receiver or you wack the mag box with a plastic hammer using a down and outward motion.

GUNFANATIC
02-26-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure I understand. Why are you removing the mag box if you are just changing stocks? What am I missing?

bfuentes
02-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I am sorry but my internal magazine is not attached to the receiver and barrel it is attached to the stock
http://www.fairpoint.net/~billy.funetes/mag.JPG here is my stock and what i mean

thanks

placek59
02-26-2010, 05:28 PM
This is a centerfeed action. I did a search when I switched my stevens over which is the same thing. Search on this forum "remove centerfeed mag" . Here are some instructions that I used from pdog06 in one of his posts. It worked for me. I hope its ok to copy it here.

"take a small thin screwdriver and put it under the tab on the rear of the magbox. Gently pry up and you'll see it pop-up a bit. Then take another screwdriver and put it down between the magbox and the stock, on the front side of the magbox. gently pry up on this as well until it pops- up a bit. Now pry up on both at the same time and it should come up evenly to a certain point. Then you should be able to just put a finger inside the magbox and rock it till it pops out.

When it's out you'll see a little slot where the tab fits on the magbox. When you reinstall it just line the tab up with that slot and push the magbox all the way down till it stops. "

GUNFANATIC
02-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Oh, gotcha! That comes out by simply prying it out. It's just wedged in, so pry up on the back and then on the front. Work it back and forth and it'll come up.

bfuentes
02-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks I wasn't sure it was that simple I didnt want to damage the magazine. I will try this evening and will post my results.

thanks again.

bfuentes
02-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Ok Update, thanks to you guys I was able to get the magazine follower out, very easy and came out with little force. Now for the bad news. The boyds stock has a cut out that is far larger than the one in the synthetic stock and it does not fit tight. Even putting the barrel on still allows for the magazine follower and spring to shift. I am going to contact boyds and savage and see if there is a solutions. thanks

rjtfroggy
02-26-2010, 10:51 PM
I beleive in the Boyds web page it tells you you may have to make and install a small block for the front of the mag.
Measure the mag well on the factory stock, then make up a HARD WOOD spacer and epoxy it in place after you are sure it fits.

bfuentes
03-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Ok I did hear from the support person at Boyds and yes was instructed to create a small block and expoxy it in. I did so did have to make a minor adjustment to the magazine well. The Boyds stock is not cut out for the retaining piece and I very carefully removed the wood with a chisel. This made a huge difference and now everything works prefectly. Thanks to everyone for their help.