PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 11 Hunter XP .223 is a Shooter!

6x47L Shooter
11-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Bought one of these for the short action as I have 3 barrels that I like to switch from time to time. Decided to try it out before yanking the .223 barrel so I made up some "break-in" rounds and proceeded to go through the process. WHOA! Was I surprised to find how well this little guy shoots! 4 different loads with 3 different powders and 3 different bullets all had the same POI, and made tiny cloverleaf groups! Looks like I'll be keeping this shooter as is, except for lightening up the trigger a bit more.
That's what I really like about Savage rifles. Very accurate out of the box, easy to make the triggers really nice, switch barrel capability, and the inexpensive price. No pretty, but they sure do shoot! :usa2:

wlleven
11-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Bought one of these for the short action as I have 3 barrels that I like to switch from time to time. Decided to try it out before yanking the .223 barrel so I made up some "break-in" rounds and proceeded to go through the process. WHOA! Was I surprised to find how well this little guy shoots! 4 different loads with 3 different powders and 3 different bullets all had the same POI, and made tiny cloverleaf groups! Looks like I'll be keeping this shooter as is, except for lightening up the trigger a bit more.
That's what I really like about Savage rifles. Very accurate out of the box, easy to make the triggers really nice, switch barrel capability, and the inexpensive price. No pretty, but they sure do shoot! :usa2:

Love hearing about folks happy with their Hog Hunters ; -)

Savage should start paying me to be their Hog Hunter rep ;- )

wll

6x47L Shooter
11-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Mine is NOT a "Hog Hunter". Guess you didn't read my post clearly.

wlleven
11-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Mine is NOT a "Hog Hunter". Guess you didn't read my post clearly.

...... OOOOPS I made a mistake, I take back everything I said ;- )

wll

6x47L Shooter
11-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Modified the trigger pull weight using the "poor man's method" which replaces the stock trigger spring with a 5/8" long 8-32 set screw and a very light spring. I adjusted the set screw to act as an overtravel stop, and now I have a 1lb 12oz pull that is very crisp. Total cost = .55 cents! :thumb:

RP12
11-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Modified the trigger pull weight using the "poor man's method" which replaces the stock trigger spring with a 5/8" long 8-32 set screw and a very light spring. I adjusted the set screw to act as an overtravel stop, and now I have a 1lb 12oz pull that is very crisp. Total cost = .55 cents! :thumb: Isn't that a 10-24 thread ?

wlleven
11-22-2013, 05:45 AM
Modified the trigger pull weight using the "poor man's method" which replaces the stock trigger spring with a 5/8" long 8-32 set screw and a very light spring. I adjusted the set screw to act as an overtravel stop, and now I have a 1lb 12oz pull that is very crisp. Total cost = .55 cents! :thumb:

Did you have to do anything to the sear, or just a light spring and set screw change ?

I have done some pretty nice trigger jobs in my life and hoping that the standard trigger on the used Mod 11 when I get it can be worked over to give a nice 1 to 1.75 lb safe trigger. I don't want it real light as even though it will be a bench gun, I like a margin of safety built in.

wll

6x47L Shooter
11-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Isn't that a 10-24 thread ?

NO! It is 8-32! I know this because I had to run a tap through the existing hole and buy an 8-32 set screw.

6x47L Shooter
11-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Did you have to do anything to the sear, or just a light spring and set screw change ?

I have done some pretty nice trigger jobs in my life and hoping that the standard trigger on the used Mod 11 when I get it can be worked over to give a nice 1 to 1.75 lb safe trigger. I don't want it real light as even though it will be a bench gun, I like a margin of safety built in.

wll

Just a quick diamond lap to break sharp edge then coated with Mil-comm TW25 grease.