PDA

View Full Version : .308 Hog Hunter Issues

Russell40
11-19-2013, 11:02 PM
In August, I purchased a new .308 Hog Hunter. The first several trips to the range proved that the rifle was very accurate with different loads. I was able to keep most groups at 1 moa and several sub moa at 100 yards.
After each range secession I cleand the champer and bore as I always do. I made sure that these areas were free of copper and brass. After about 150rnds, my groups opened up from 1 moa to 1 1/2 to 2 inches with flyers. I'm now getting light primer stikes on about 1 in 20rnds regardless of the brand of ammo and it fails to eject.
Now the really odd thing about all of this is, at 100 yards, they groups are "ok" but NOT what I had experienced or expected from this rifle. When I fire for a group at 200 yards the groups open up to 4 or more inches.
I'm a very good shot and spent several years shooting compition, served as a sniper and always qualified as Expert on the ranges. I also know how to properly clean and lube a weapon.
The stock is secure with no movement and the barrel is free floated from the factory. I've even changed the scope out 3 times with other models and brands with no improvement noted. I fire from a bag and rest with very little if any movement.
IM LOST! Have any of you experienced these issues? I really like the rifle, but I'm almost to the point of sending back to the factory to be repaired and then selling it.

stangfish
11-20-2013, 12:18 AM
I hope you are not insulted by these questions. Has anything else changed like ammo? What weight bullet are you shooting? What is your cleaning regiment? What kind of cleaning rod do you use. How do you remove copper? Have you had the action out of the stock?

wlleven
11-20-2013, 12:25 AM
In August, I purchased a new .308 Hog Hunter. The first several trips to the range proved that the rifle was very accurate with different loads. I was able to keep most groups at 1 moa and several sub moa at 100 yards.
After each range secession I cleand the champer and bore as I always do. I made sure that these areas were free of copper and brass. After about 150rnds, my groups opened up from 1 moa to 1 1/2 to 2 inches with flyers. I'm now getting light primer stikes on about 1 in 20rnds regardless of the brand of ammo and it fails to eject.
Now the really odd thing about all of this is, at 100 yards, they groups are "ok" but NOT what I had experienced or expected from this rifle. When I fire for a group at 200 yards the groups open up to 4 or more inches.
I'm a very good shot and spent several years shooting compition, served as a sniper and always qualified as Expert on the ranges. I also know how to properly clean and lube a weapon.
The stock is secure with no movement and the barrel is free floated from the factory. I've even changed the scope out 3 times with other models and brands with no improvement noted. I fire from a bag and rest with very little if any movement.
IM LOST! Have any of you experienced these issues? I really like the rifle, but I'm almost to the point of sending back to the factory to be repaired and then selling it.

I got to tell you, that is one of the strangest things I've heard of ... not a bedding problems, not a scope mount loosening problem, not a scope problems .... at 150 rounds, I'm at a lose also !

If you find out the problem please post !

wll

Russell40
11-20-2013, 09:09 PM
I hope you are not insulted by these questions. Has anything else changed like ammo? What weight bullet are you shooting? What is your cleaning regiment? What kind of cleaning rod do you use. How do you remove copper? Have you had the action out of the stock?

I use a good copper solvent like Sweets and a Dewey cleaning rod. I push from the chamber forward without dragging the residue back through the barrel or chamber.I run the brush (bronze) 30 or so times, then follow through with patches on the jag.
Ammunition, well I've tried everything from Federal Gold Metal Match, Remington, Winchester and Hornady. Bullets have ranged from 150grn, 142, 147 and 173.
Yes I've had the rifle out of the stock one time to adjust the trigger. I didnt use a toque wrench when intalling the stock screw back into the stock (I dont know the poundage to use). On my Remington I torque 68.
The ONLY other thing that I can think of may be an out of round Leupold front rings that are mounted on a Leupold one peice mount. I say that because a can see signs of finish wear on the front (scope tubes) that is not present on the rear.
Besides the mentioned issues, it still does not eject (it does extract).
Thanks

short round
11-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Ejection problem may be the spring, they tend to get weak if hot loads are used, remove & inspect ejector & spring. If it is 5th shot flier, pay more attention, also you may be canting rifle.

bootsmcguire
11-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Russell, I would say to your ejection issue, that perhaps the plunger ejector has gotten some "gunk" in it and may need removed and cleaned. That would be my first step on that front.

As to your group size, it is a little strange the way they are going for you getting bigger with only 150 down the tube. I would say that I would check my stock bolts and be sure the recoil lug is pushed back against its seating surface in the stock when you tighten the bolts. Lightly snugging up the bolts and then standing the rifle upright and tapping it against the floor and holding pressure down when tightening the bolts seems to work well.

I am wondering too if you are "over cleaning" your bore. I know that sounds crazy and I am sure your military training taught you to keep it clean, but in my experience with Savage barrels they really shoot best when dirty and coppered up. I shoot mine until groups start opening and then clean them out, foul them with maybe 3 to 5 shots, and viola my groups shrink right back. Depending on caliber they may go 200 rounds between cleaning. If I know the rifle won't get shot for awhile I will go ahead and clean it to preserve it for storage, but otherwise I leave it dirty. My 308 only gets cleaned maybe once a year and it shoots great.

Hope some of that helps, and thank you for your military service.

stangfish
11-21-2013, 12:11 AM
My next post would have been an attempt to do the 3 exact topics justice like Boots did. I would have failed.

bootsmcguire
11-21-2013, 12:17 AM
My next post would have been an attempt to do the 3 exact topics justice like Boots did. I would have failed.

I dunno about that. As long as the info gets out there to be of help. ;)

stangfish
11-21-2013, 01:17 AM
Don't be modest, Your observations are dead on.

Raydee38
11-21-2013, 07:50 AM
I run the brush (bronze) 30 or so times

That sounds a bit excessive and I hope you are not damaging the barrel or the crown with that much cleaning. I know there are a couple schools of thought on cleaning a rifle but if you go most forums that are accuracy related they will tell you to only clean the barrel when accuracy drops off and even then running a brush down a barrel 30 times is way more than needed.