PDA

View Full Version : Water Transfer on scope w/ turrets?

rsb5772
11-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Has anyone had water transfer camo, or any pattern, for that matter, done to a scope with target turrets? I've seen plenty of scopes that were completely covered, but none with parts not covered.

I just received my Vortex PST, and would like to have it done in digital camo, to match the stock on my Precision Carbine.

Can the turrets be taped off to keep them from being covered. I'd hate to cover the print on them, otherwise, I'd do the entire scope.

Thanks for any help, and pictures if you've got them!

big honkin jeep
11-19-2013, 11:24 PM
I don't have pics of the scope right now but I did a broken BSA I had laying around with sponge camo just to see how it would look beside my 10PC as well as a carbine I built and painted in the same fashion. It came out really well though not a perfect match it's pretty close. I used Khaki and OD Green Rustoleum camo paint and coated it with Testors dull coat lacquer for a clear sealer coat. I had placed masking tape where needed. I'm kinda funny about painting metal on my guns or painting scopes and not sure I'd paint a new Viper. Some guys here have done Jam up digital camo with a spray can. I'm not quite so bold and would probably go with maybe some removable tape or something https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=digital+camo+tape+for+guns&oq=digital+camo+tape&gs_l=firefox-hp.1.1.0l2j0i22i30l8.2721.9550.0.14392.17.15.0.2.2 .0.87.888.15.15.0....0...1ac.1.24.firefox-hp..0.17.896.CdF-QJLadqM#hl=en&q=digital+camo+tape+for+guns&start=20&tbm=shop&tbs=vw:l The McNett seems to be a good product that leaves no residue.Good luck

rsb5772
11-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks. I might go with the wrap. I talked to Vortex about dipping my scope and they said it wouldn't compromise the warranty. I might call them back and ask if they could sell me a set of blank turrets and light knob, or might try coating mine in liquid mask, which could be peeled off afterwards.

big honkin jeep
11-20-2013, 12:24 AM
It would be way better for resale in the long run. Who knows when you might want to swap in the Vortex after she becomes broken in for a newer model? Just the way I look at it anyway. If you want your scope to match then I'm sure you'll get it the way you want.

rsb5772
11-20-2013, 12:30 AM
That's a good point. Chances are, I'd put it on a different rifle and get something new for my PC. It's only my second scope purchase. I think my next will be a Zeiss HD5. Loved it when I was playing with it at Gander Mtn, which had a better price than anywhere I could find online.

WNY_Whitetailer
11-28-2013, 04:21 AM
I use the McNett camo form tape on my 6.8 AR and optic. It peels right off after whitetail season is over, absolutely no residue left behind. I would definitely recommend it...