PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Grendel and 6.5BPC What the Difference ?

wlleven
11-19-2013, 01:29 PM
McGowen has 6.5BPC barrels.

What is the difference and does the 6.5BPC have the same case capacity as the 6.5 Grendel ?

I don't want to order the wrong barrel !

wll

earl39
11-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Will if u mean the 6.5LBC the difference is just in the angle of leade in the throat.

Dennis
11-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Will if u mean the 6.5LBC the difference is just in the angle of leade in the throat.

No, he is referring to the 6.5 BPC (Borden Palmisano Cartridge). 6.5 LBC is the Les Bear Cartridge for those who don't know.

I am as interested in comments as the OP.

Dennis

JASmith
11-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Partial answers to the question:

The only cartridge of the three that has a SAAMI specification is the 6.5 Grendel.

The SAAMI spec means that rifles stamped "6.5 Grendel" will be compatible with ammunition head stamped "6.5 Grendel."

As it happens 6.5 LBC ammunition works fine in 6.5 Grendel chambers.

If I understand correctly, the SAAMI spec allows a generous neck diameter, which means that some Grendel ammunition might not work in the LBC. The SAAMI leade specification results in minimum clearance for most bullets to get the proper alignment. The result is a fairly reliable feed combined with very good to excellent accuracy.

I know nothing about the 6.5 BPC.

wlleven
11-20-2013, 12:46 AM
I'm getting ready to buy a barrel next week. I have called McGowen and they say it is a slight variance, but really don't know the dimensions.

McGowen will be putting the 6.5 Grendel on their web page as it is not there now. I was told this today by Dennis at there shop. I will stay in contact with him for sure !

I will wait till it is on there page and then order ... I don't want any mistakes...this is the first barrel I have ever ordered and this will be my first build ...I want it done right the first time !

I will be ordering a 26-28 inch heavy varmint barrel

wll

JASmith
11-20-2013, 03:06 AM
I can relate -- I sweated bullets and was on pins and needles when I did my first wildcat!

wlleven
11-20-2013, 04:52 AM
I'm getting ready to buy a barrel next week. I have called McGowen and they say it is a slight variance, but really don't know the dimensions.

McGowen will be putting the 6.5 Grendel on their web page as it is not there now. I was told this today by Dennis at there shop. I will stay in contact with him for sure !

I will wait till it is on there page and then order ... I don't want any mistakes...this is the first barrel I have ever ordered and this will be my first build ...I want it done right the first time !

I will be ordering a 26-28 inch heavy varmint barrel

wll

Dennis from McGowen just put the 6.5 Grendel on the site. When you go to semi custom barrels and pick out your caliber it is there.

That is great !

Got to put $ in the bank and will order when I get home from work !

wll

earl39
11-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Ok after a little research i have found the 6.5 BPC is almost the same as a saami spec grendel but not as close and the LBC. The BPC not only changes the leade but also changes the shoulder angle by 2 degrees (30 degree vs 28 degree). What i have found says it is still very close to being inside saami tolerances but is not a true grendel. I would have to say stay with the grendel as it does have dies, brass, and ammo made to the saami spec available plus a lot of research behind it even if it was done to make it run in a gas gun. JMHO

Gary

sharpshooter
11-20-2013, 06:41 PM
26-28 " barrel is too long for a Grendel. 24" would be better.

wlleven
11-20-2013, 10:22 PM

I'm looking to squeeze A 123 gr A Max to 2750 if I can. the extra 4 inches may only give me 50 FPS, but I'll take it at 1000Yds.

Normally I would not be concerned, but this is a specialized gun for long range, soft recoil shooting. I have never had a 28 inch barreled gun before.

This gun is being set up where the ballistic coefficient and barrel length take the place of large cases and more powder in a shorter barrel.

I plan on shooting this barrel, while others must replace theirs !

wll

Apache
11-20-2013, 11:01 PM
If your primary purpose is to shoot 1k with it...I would use a different cartridge. That much money into a "maybe" is a gamble....one I wouldn't bet on with what you have chosen.

A 6.5BR has slightly more case capacity than the Grendel and it would be border line if it even makes it. You must also take into consideration the temperatures/elevations you will be shooting at.

If you're looking at absolute minimal cases......I would look into the 6.5 Dasher. But the 6.5x47L is really one to get. Already a proven cartridge and you won't HAVE to load to max pressures to get the results you're after like you will with what you're trying. Lower pressures = longer brass life.......plus you could still get a shorter barrel and do it

wlleven
11-21-2013, 02:18 AM
If your primary purpose is to shoot 1k with it...I would use a different cartridge. That much money into a "maybe" is a gamble....one I wouldn't bet on with what you have chosen.

A 6.5BR has slightly more case capacity than the Grendel and it would be border line if it even makes it. You must also take into consideration the temperatures/elevations you will be shooting at.

If you're looking at absolute minimal cases......I would look into the 6.5 Dasher. But the 6.5x47L is really one to get. Already a proven cartridge and you won't HAVE to load to max pressures to get the results you're after like you will with what you're trying. Lower pressures = longer brass life.......plus you could still get a shorter barrel and do it

Apache,

Main purpose is a range gun that I can shoot a lot. I will be shooting gongs at 200 to 700yds. Don't have a range that goes to 1000 unless I do competition, and that is not going to happen.

The 6.5 Grendel is a very, very efficient cartridge and when given a longer barrel (usually 24) velocity starts to get to a 1000yard can do #

I chose a 28 inch barrel so I could reasonably get every foot per second and still lift the gun to the shooting bench, lol, lol.

Grendel pressure in a bolt gun can be a little hotter than a gas gun, in addition the bullet can be seated out further. This should be an awesome gun, I've been on the Grendel Forum and have learned some interesting stuff for sure.

When the gun is finished I will post pics ... that won't be a at least a couple of months as the barrel is 8 weeks or so out.

I have gotten feedback from others also on this forum that I should have got a 6,5x47 or a Dasher, or a Creedmoor. All are great cartridges, but not what I was looking for, I'm looking for very long barrel life, easy on the shoulder long range shooting and the Grendel is spot on for my use ;- )

wll

Apache
11-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Good luck with your project! Looking forward to pics.

JASmith
11-21-2013, 10:43 AM

Depends on the shooting sport. Many use 16" and 20" barrels too, but the long barrel is useful in the right circumstances.

I'm looking to squeeze A 123 gr A Max to 2750 if I can. the extra 4 inches may only give me 50 FPS, but I'll take it at 1000Yds.

Normally I would not be concerned, but this is a specialized gun for long range, soft recoil shooting. I have never had a 28 inch barreled gun before.

This gun is being set up where the ballistic coefficient and barrel length take the place of large cases and more powder in a shorter barrel.

I plan on shooting this barrel, while others must replace theirs !

wll
There is at least one competitive F-Class shooter who uses a Grendel with a 28" barrel. Browse through the 6.5Grendel.com forum and you will find discussions.

BTW, the 20 Grendel (20 Grendel (http://shootersnotes.com/articles/20-grendel/)) was designed for a similar role. The 55 gr Berger can have less wind drift than the .308 Winchester target round with recoil like that of the .223 Remington.

What works best for one long-range shooter may not for another. A lot depends on the level of competition one wants to engage in, so a low-recoiling, reasonably competitive cartridge can be ideal for getting into the sport. The move to a more challenging recoil and barrel life cartridge can be contemplated when the experience with the easier cartridge is gained. Getting that experience first may help make that subsequent choice a better one...

JASmith
11-21-2013, 10:50 AM
...Grendel pressure in a bolt gun can be a little hotter than a gas gun, in addition the bullet can be seated out further. This should be an awesome gun, I've been on the Grendel Forum and have learned some interesting stuff for sure...
Following the Grendel forum helps a lot in your situation.

Going with a bolt gun and taking advantage of the higher pressures one can use with it should also bring the cartridge much closer to the Creedmoor in wind drift. Over the course of a long match, I am told that the difference in recoil fatigue may make up for the slight remaining differences in drift.

A lot will depend on your training and stamina.

JASmith
11-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Ok after a little research i have found the 6.5 BPC is almost the same as a saami spec grendel but not as close and the LBC. The BPC not only changes the leade but also changes the shoulder angle by 2 degrees (30 degree vs 28 degree). What i have found says it is still very close to being inside saami tolerances but is not a true grendel. I would have to say stay with the grendel as it does have dies, brass, and ammo made to the saami spec available plus a lot of research behind it even if it was done to make it run in a gas gun. JMHO

Gary
I am reasonably sure that the leade was changed because of discomfort with the implementation by Bill Alexander. The Grendel leade and throat is full of subtleties that make it both an accurate cartridge and one that reliably feeds in the AR. There are lot of experienced precision shooters and cartridge designers who have not yet tumbled to those subtleties, however.

I don't have a clue for why one would go away from the 30 degree shoulder specified for the Grendel unless the designer wanted to avoid potential infringement hassles. The SAAMI spec and AA having released ownership of the trademarks makes this issue one "overcome by events."

BTW there is a discussion of why the Grendel chamber is the way it is on pages 9 & 10 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook (http://shootersnotes.com/articles/6-5-grendel-reloading-handbook/)