PDA

View Full Version : Priming issues with Dillon 550B

stimpylu32
11-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Just got the new Dillon 550 B up and running but am having a few problems with primers wanting to seat either sideways or up side down , any one ever have this issue and if so , how did you fix it ?

I've checked to make sure I have the right drop tube in place as well as making sure it is fully seated in the pick up unit , I for the life of me can't understand how they are getting turned from the pick-up tube to the slide bar that seats them .

Ideas ?

stimpy

thomae
11-19-2013, 11:49 AM
If I were there in person, it would be easier to figure out.

However, some ideas that come to mind.

Are you sure your brass has the primer crimp removed?

Look at the little doo-dad that holds the primers on the slide bar that transfers them from the tube to under the brass.
Is it the correct size for the primers being used?

Have you double checked all your alignment adjustments?

stimpylu32
11-19-2013, 01:06 PM
No crimp to worry about , Rem 38 spl case's , and as for the primer doo-dad , ya its the smaller of the two . What's got me con-fuzzled is that with this press having everything as close of a fit that it has , how is there room for the primers to turn ?

I've checked the pick-up tube that you load the primers with , the drop tube that is on the press , the slide bar , primer cup , I just can't see were their turning and it's driving me nuts as there is no set pattern to when and were the problems happen .

The first batch I ran it was about to the end of 100 primers , the second batch was close to the start and the 3rd run was in the middle , haven't heard back from Dillon yet on this issue , maybe they know what's up .

stimpy

LHitchcox
11-19-2013, 01:41 PM
There are some good videos on Youtube on how to set up the Dillon.

thermaler
11-19-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't have this press and so I'm not familiar with it--but I'll hazard a guess anyway.If there is a slight mis-alignment between the primer ram and the case primer pocket that can catch the edge of the primer on the way in turning it or mis-aligning it.

sharpshooter
11-19-2013, 08:15 PM
I had the same problem years ago. Finally figured out that the press was jarring when the ram bottomed out, in turn disturbing the primers. I mounted the press to a 8x8" 1/4" plate on top of the bench and almost eliminated it. The problem always got worse when the primer tube was low because there is less weight holding the column of primers down. I remedied that with an old cleaning rod.
I would load 100 primers and insert a shortened cleaning rod in the primer tube as a follower. The extra weight keeps the primers from jumping around and it is an indicator when you are out of primers. The rod will drop in the transfer bar and lock it up when the tube is empty.

stimpylu32
11-19-2013, 10:11 PM
I was wondering if maybe bounce could be the problem , may need to add a leg under the press as it only has 2 now and the back side fastened to the wall , I also have a Lee 3 hole turret and 2 - Redding Big Boss 2's mounted on the same bench . That's a lot of weight in the middle were the Dillon is setting .

I may also try putting an 45 auto case on the alarm rod to keep some extra pressure on the primers in the tube , sorta like the cleaning rod did .

Thanks for the help guys , we'll see if these ideas fix the issue .

stimpy

wrench man
11-20-2013, 02:14 AM
The only issue I've ever had with primers is having them not feed if the follower rod wasn't in the feed tube?, and they just happen to use it to trigger the low primer alarm.

TooOld
11-20-2013, 08:30 AM
You may want to check the primer feed bar. I had a problem similar to yours and sometimes even throwing the primers out of the cup onto the floor. My problem ended up being the feed bar either would jam a little or was dirty and would stick when returning under the spring pressure. Took it apart, cleaned everything real good and put a little powdered graphite and everything was good.

One other thing you might want to check is the plastic piece on the end of the primer tube. Mine went south, the little tab became brittle and was cracked and about to break off, just wore out, again changed the end piece and worked like a charm.

thomae
11-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Good point made by Too Old. If the primer bar sticks, then it will suddenly "spring" out and that could jar the primer in the cup, possibly causing it to bounce loose.

seanhagerty
11-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Call Dillon. They have outstanding customer service and if there is a part that needs replaced, they will get it out to you right away.