PDA

View Full Version : New Barrel

olddav
11-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Just received my new Shilen barrel chamber in 338-06 from NSS. Now all I need is the tools required to swap barrels, or a local gun smith. Almost forgot, I'll need brass, bullets, primers, powder and dies. With all that in mind I guess I'm in no hurry to swap barrels after all. Still, I can't wait!

Cycler
11-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Sharp Shooters Supply sells a very good version of the Savage barrel nut wrench and has versions for both the older grooved nut and the new smooth one. I believe NSS offers them too. You will also need a pair of go/no-go gauges.

LoneWolf
11-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Gun shack as well and their barrel nut wrench includes the smooth nut wrench. It was a surprise to me!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

olddav
11-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Oh boy I get to add another item to the list of things I don't have.

eddiesindian
11-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Oh boy I get to add another item to the list of things I don't have.

Ive been reloading for 35 yrs and Im here to tell you....the list of things you dont have seems to never end.....Aint it great! lololol

stangfish
11-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Ive been reloading for 35 yrs and Im here to tell you....the list of things you dont have seems to never end.....Aint it great! lololol

I know that's right!

olddav
11-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Well I got the barrel on the action and it was easy, maybe too easy. After reading as much as possible about the process and watching videos, I was prepared for a battle. Exspected the barrel vise to slip, or the action to be stubborn after the barrel nut is loosened. I was even prepared to cut the barrel nut off if need be, but the barrel vise held (no rosin required), the barrel nut came right off and the action spinoff with no effort at all. It required more effort to widen the channel on the stock than swapping the barrel.
Must have got lucky.

As you can see my barrel vise is some what basic, but it works, at least this time it did.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/olddav/photo.jpg (http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/olddav/media/photo.jpg.html)

edit: add picture

Dennis
12-01-2013, 06:25 AM
As you can see my barrel vise is some what basic, but it works, at least this time it did.

Nice barrel vice. I might would get a new piece of oak, but other than this, you have the best setup. I have a similar one and it works just great. None of my barrels have ever slipped and none were ever damaged.

Dennis

olddav
12-15-2013, 07:46 PM
I've got the barrel on and set the head space. While waiting for bullets and dies I decided to pillar bed the stock.
I used a piece of 5/8" aluminum rod that I have laying around. Used a drill to bore the centerish hole and a Dremel tool to shape a seat for the action. To insure the base of the pillars were flat I used a file very carefully, finally I bedded the action with Acraglas Gel. So far everything looks great and seems to fit as it should.
Today I loaded up some ammo and as soon as I get a minute, off to the range I go. Hopefully I'll have a good report coming in the near future, with pictures.