PDA

View Full Version : anyone built a 32acp or 32 S&W bolt gun?

squirrel_slayer
11-18-2013, 12:29 AM
hello all, i've just recently picked up a wheel gun in 32 h&r and i've really become quite fond of the little 32 caliber cartridge. during all of my reading i've heard about how quiet a little 32 cal carbine can be which has peaked my interest. I do currently own a 300blk rifle which I someday would like to purchase a suppressor for but forking out $200 to the govt for a tax stamp kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth especially with all the current shenanigans going on. the 32 rimmed cartridges have near the same bolt face as a .223 with the 32acp being .015" smaller. I read where one guy made a 22" single shot in 32acp with 115gr 32-20 bullets and 1-2gr of bullseye shooting over 1000ft/sec and a very quiet 80db (less than my 300 blackout would be with a can)

I figure a modifed bolt baffle can shorten the bolt throw, then a handgun mag could be modifed into one of my factory stocks. from my understanding the tiny case allows pressure to be built quickly with fast burning powder then the pressure left as the bullet leave's the bore is less thus less noise. larger case with the same bullet takes more powder to build same pressure/velocity thus more expanding gases and more noise.

squirrel_slayer
12-21-2013, 01:31 PM
anyone done any pistol caliber builds? i've seen the 45acp one which has helped alot with giving me idea's. looks like they have to be headspaced off the mouth so the idea of a multi cartridge is out of the picture (ie. chamber for 32 h&r and shoot 32 s&W long and short and 32acp)

stangfish
12-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Ruger did something in the model 77 but it was a rimmed case I think. Extraction is the issue with short cases.

ShawneeB
12-21-2013, 02:08 PM
I had a Spanish Destroyer carbine in 9mm Largo, it was a hoot. So was a prototype Bushy carbine I had was half AR half Mac in 9mm :)

If you have a 30 cal anything rifle they have adapers for different calibers, look like a empty brass, stick in a 32acp and chamber it. Cheap, slow and wrong twist but so what, it shoots!

Fellow on Predatormasters and Weapons Guild built his own 357m carbine. People on weaponsguild working pistol cal rifle builds. One guy a Tok round, be a screamer.