PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Bedding an AXIS in a Boyds Stock

jlnft
11-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Hi All,

I purchased 2 Boyd's stocks one Prairie Hunter for a 30-06 and a Thumbhole for a .223. I'm looking to bed the .223. I've never actually bedded a rifle before, but I've researched it to nauseam and I feel like I can do a good job....... And if I screw up...... it's my gun!

My questions or pleas:

I can figure out bedding the barrel end but the action end is somewhat a mystery because of the trigger assembly, it doesn't leave much area to use as bedding. Can someone post some pictures of the action end of a Boyd's stock bedding? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can I just add bedding to the barrel end of the action and maintain accuracy?

On the trigger assembly, there is a silver bracket on the front of the assembly, that the action screw goes through to the barrel. In the stock area, is the "silver bracket" supposed to be free floating or does it rest on the cut out in the stock? It has a small pivoting motion(with the trigger assembly) when assembled on the barrel. I'm assuming I can't bed around that bracket?

Pictures are great.........I'm a visual learner!!

Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance,
Joe

thomae
11-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Moving to the "aftermarket stock" section so you will get more answers.

My suggestion is to NOT bed the barrel (nothing forward of the recoil lug) and to watch this video. It is of a Remington action, but the principles are the same with a savage.

http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

The silver bracket gets pushed up against the action when the action screws are tightened.

jlnft
11-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Thank You!

When I referred to "bedding the barrel". I meant the 1 1/2" behind the recoil lug. Sorry, I should have explained better. :)

The biggest reason I'm looking at bedding is the stock doesn't let the barrel free float. I maybe able to sand some relief in the stock to center it........I'm not sure. I also put a call into Boyd's to see if they have a idea.