PDA

View Full Version : SAV-2 trigger ?

RP12
11-17-2013, 10:34 PM
I love the feel of my accu-trigger, no creep, crisp and clean, breaks like glass. The problem is the weight of pull is to heavy. I need to get into the 6 to 8 oz range. For those who have the SAV-2, how do they feel ? Clean crisp breaks like glass at the lower weight range ? I don't want to give up that feel if I don't have to. I have looked at the other options out there and decided on the SAV-2. I like the Evolution from SSS, but I don't like the cost and wait time, I also want to install it myself. It's going to be my Christmas present, whoo hoo.

stangfish
11-17-2013, 11:39 PM
You need a 6 to 8 oz trigger. Is this for BR?

243LPR
11-17-2013, 11:40 PM
No complaints about mine,I have 2 and another on the way. They take a little while to set up but watch the included video and you should have no problems. I have mine set at about 12 oz and I like them better than the target accutrigger on my LRP.

olddav
11-18-2013, 12:56 AM
I have one on a 110 and love it. Some others have complained about side to side sloop in the trigger, but I have not notice it.
One other thing, they can be a bit of a pain to setting up.

Dennis
11-18-2013, 05:44 AM
Clean crisp breaks like glass at the lower weight range ? I don't want to give up that feel if I don't have to. I have looked at the other options out there and decided on the SAV-2. I like the Evolution from SSS, but I don't like the cost and wait time, I also want to install it myself. It's going to be my Christmas present, whoo hoo.

I have three Evolution Triggers from SSS and love them. I personally have adjusted all three of them and they are about as close to a Jewell as you can get. I also have several SAV-2 triggers, plus several others. The SAV-2 takes 2nd place. I have adjusted these as well and iMO their easier than the Evolution to adjust. I have these on my practice rifles.

Again, just my .02 cents worth, but am happy with both. I also have one of the SSS competition triggers, but I believe I like the SAV-2 a little better.

Any questions, just let me know.

Dennis

RP12
11-18-2013, 08:05 AM
You need a 6 to 8 oz trigger. Is this for BR?Really ? Yes it's a bench gun.

RP12
11-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys I'll tell Santa that's the one I want.

RP12
11-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Ok, I just noticed the Jard trigger comes with a new sear and goes to 1# pull weight. If it's a consistent 1#, I can live with that. Any thoughts on that trigger. Thanks from MR indecisive. I just don't like the idea of having to break the edges on the savage sear for the SAV-2 trigger. It seams counter productive for a clean break. It looks a lot less complex as well. You know K.I.S.S.

FW Conch
11-18-2013, 05:44 PM
I recently got a Jard and I am completely disappointed in it. It fell apart while I was attempting to install it. Also, it has a very poor metal finish. I think any other Savage trigger choice would be better, including improving a stock trigger. I'm sorry to report this, because I had high hopes for the Jard. Good Luck-Good Shooting.......Jim

RP12
11-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Well, I guess I will order the Jard trigger, as I cleaned up the boggers on the sear and then found out the sear is only surface hardened.:der: So I need the new sear.

RP12
11-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Jard trigger ordered. I'll keep you guys up to speed on how it works for me.:thumb:

FW Conch
11-19-2013, 01:20 PM
RP12, I hope your experience with the Jard is better than mine, and please do keep us informed on how it works out for you. I wish I could provide you some pictures, but I can't.

Somewhere along the line, a "primal fear" has been instilled in we of the "Brotherhood", against cleaning up the trigger parts with a hone, for fear of removing the "surface hardening. As a long time veteran of industrial maintenance, I can testify that these fears are "overly exaggerated" when the work is performed with some very basic skill, and some common sense. I had a Stevens 200 trigger that, when the trigger was squeezed, went "break", "break", "FIRE". The next Stevens 200 I bought was worse. It went "break","break","break","FIRE". These triggers were useless to me as they were, so I decided I had nothing to loose by working on them to see if I could get them to perform properly, even if I ruined them by honing and grinding on the surfaces. I used a hone on everything that is supposed to be flat and square, only as much as needed, of course. The next part is where I will likely catch some "flack". I decided the sear shelf on the trigger was a good bit higher than it needed to be, not allowing a clean break when the trigger was squeezed. I used a Dremal with a 1/2" grinding wheel to grind the "blue" off the shelf, and gave it a try. The first attempt was not enough, so I blacked the shelf with MM, and repeated the process until I got it to fire with a clean break, "and no bump fires". I lubricated the sear and shelf with #2 pencil lead, installed a .040" trigger wire, adjusted to 3 lbs, and installed both triggers in hunting rifles. That was 3 years ago. Since then, I have detected no wear on any of the parts, and I can't make the rifles "slam fire". Along the line, I decided it is not that difficult to "surface harden" small parts at home, but so far, I don't see that it is necessary. Perhaps the parts are hardened deeper than was previously thought? Anyway, I now have two triggers that are suitable to the purpose that they are being used. Just to be safe, "this was my experience on the matter", "try it at your own risk"! :-)

Sometime between now and next spring, I'm going to buy another trigger, and right now I think it will be an SSS. There is a chance I will get a Savage 2, simply because I have never tried one.

Good Luck-Good Shooting......Jim

RP12
11-23-2013, 12:53 AM
I got the Jard trigger today. It fits and functions perfectly. Super light pull weight with no bump fires or slam fires, no creep or over travel. I did have to inlet my Choate tactical stock a lot to make room for the new sear though. I doubt it's a pound of pull weight like they advertise, which is great cause it's a bench gun.

RP12
11-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Now I just have to wait until Monday to order another spring. Yup I dropped it somewhere.

FW Conch
11-23-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm glad the Jard worked out well for you. I thought about warning you about the spring, because mine fell out of the zip lock bag on to my couch. I didn't realize it at first but found it later. I'm sure you could make one from an Ink Pen Spring. Let us know how it shoots. :-)
Thanks.....Jim