PDA

View Full Version : 12 BTCSS .223 Great Groups that Go Bad... Need Help Figuring Out.

Pages : 1 [2]

FishinFool
11-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Hello Again Gents,

C-C, thanks for the serious analysis of things you suspect are playing into this. Tell me, what Forster Neck-Sizer / bump die combo do you have? Is ther a part number or specific title to the die? I am curious about pursuing that as a possible fix. About the neck tension, I should probably anneal these cases too as they are on their 3-4 firing.

I am "only" 51 and really enjoy the precision and immediate results you can track from hand loading. To think through the loads, run the ladders, carefully roll them and see it on paper 100 or 200 yds away is really satisfying. I have not shot competitively since 13-14 yrs old and probably don't want to go in that direction now either. I cant play golf because i am just too hard on myself for results but this doesnt happen in casual shooting. I wouldnt want to wreck the "peace" and satisfaction with too much seriousness and self-criticism.

Been out of shooting until just a couple years ago, but it has really pulled me back in. Used to be an offshore sport fishing NUT, but one day the switch just turned off and haven't looked back.

3-4 hours at the range concentrating on some shootin' and shooting the bull with the gang is as relaxing and unwinding as 2 hours in a hot tub for me now.

Thermaler: Thanks for the compliment. I was really psyched as I watched the 0.148 form with the 4 bullets barely making a single .30 cal hole. I knew when I put the crosshairs back on the bull and settled down for the 5th shot "something" would kill it..... And sure enough! What really surprises me is just how capable an out of box, not-custom, production gun costing $950-$1000 can turn-in accuracy like this thing does. I am NO high-master / distinguished expert with 10,000 rounds down range in the last 1-2 years. I am just a careful hand loader of 50 at a batch of good materials with a pretty good consistency routine and about 450 rnds of practice now with this particular gun.

I also built a fancy AR along the lines of a JP that is a scary-accurate shooter for a semi-auto but not holes like this Savage makes. I probably get 800-1000 through that stick a year as well.

Just a front bag, a towel on the bench and the old crossed-arms with a fist under the heel of the stock, but really trying to observe good breathing, sight picture and trigger squeeze. Sometimes you just end up moving into a "new ground" area of your efforts coming together to produce a real advancement in your marksmanship... It's why we do it for the personal gratification...

Steve D.

bear1944
04-08-2014, 02:40 PM
FishingFool,

Extreme accuracy is a quest that includes removing all the variables possible.
Besides the lengthy case prep, component selection and care in reloading I found a few things that helped me
when I was shooting competition 45years ago. I know I know - ancient history but Noahs Ark was an
awsome indoor range, just a little crowded.
1. Temp is very critical. Keep your bolt open and allow air to circulate between shots.
2. Index your rounds. Mark them and load the same every time ie. mark at 12 oclock.
3. Index your cases when you neck size them.
What this indexing does is make the inconsistencies, that may be present, be in the same place every time
you fire a shot. These inconsistencies include case neck thickness, wall thickness, alignment with the axis, etc.
I found attention to detail helped me eliminate variables and narrowed my search. In retrospect my 3rd place score of .228 isnt even
a good group today. May the wind always be at your back.
John