PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage MkII won't extract Wolf Ammo. Suggestions?

SemperFiDawg
08-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Took my son out today to fire his new Savage MkII after mounting it in the SSS stock. Every type of ammo we tried ejected flawlessly except for the Wolf Match Target and Wolf Match Extra . Each and every Wolf round had to be manually extracted with a pocket knife. The shame is that if it was any other ammo we would not have cared, but the Match Target was scary accurate. We were shooting 100 yds with a bipod on a wobbly wooden bench and our best group was 5 shots that measured 0.8 inches. Any ideas?

82boy
08-16-2009, 10:14 PM
I have just ran into this problem myself. My has only shot Wolf, and have around 400 round down the tube. Last time out had the same problem as your describing. I found the problem was mostly with the rounds that weigh on the light side. I cleaned the chamber, and I will see if this solves the problem.

oldguy
08-17-2009, 12:41 PM
I find that Aquila match ammo is as accurate as wolf and functions better in my rifles.

Tackbuster
08-20-2009, 07:24 PM
If you have a compenent gunsmith give your chamber just a touch of a chamfer with a dremel tool this should solve your problem with the hard extraction of the Wolf ammo :)
This worked on my Savage BV...
Tackbuster

brianinca
08-22-2009, 06:59 PM
That's a stinger, my 10/22 loves the Wolf Match Target as well. I bought a case (5K) of the Aquila Golden Eagle match, very good stuff and my boys shoot it in their Romanian 69's. For our 4 22lr rifles, it isn't in the same league at 100 yards that the Wolf is, unfortunate since from the CMP the Aquila is MUCH less expensive than Wolf is now (bought a LOT when it was cheap, thank goodness).

I hope you get a resolution pronto!

Regards,
Brian in CA

SemperFiDawg
08-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Found the problem, but not the solution. I finally got a clue when I tried to place a fired wolf empty case that had failed to eject back into the chamber after having to pry it out. It was a very tight fit. It wouldn't go back in without brute force.(Side note. Unfired wolf ammo will easily slide into the chamber.) Did the same with a fired remington case and it slid right in. It appears to me that the wolf brass is softer and therefore expanding more than the others thus sealing it very tightly against the chamber wall, so tight in fact that it won't extract. The wolf brass is so soft that I can pinch the end of the empty cases closed with my fingertips, however if I try this with any other brand it's near impossible. Remington, Winchester, etc all use harder brass and that's why they aren't having problems ejecting from my Mk II, whereas the softer wolf is. I honestly have no solution to this, other than hopefully find some other ammo that will shoot as well as the wolf but has harder brass. Any other suggestions?

shelbyfan
08-26-2009, 04:45 AM
sharpen and/or reangle your extractor.

CL1KKL4C
08-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Pinch the clipspring tighter, works great for me :)

-Art

tammons
08-26-2009, 10:04 PM
No problems with my mkII and wolf match target

DrewsShootingSports
08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
I know this thread is old, but I ran across it somehow. If you're still having issues... 1)Keep the chamber clean, as reduction of clearance between the casing and chamber provides exponentially increased friction opposing extraction 2)Keep the extractor clean (and maybe touch it slightly with a file to help it grab 3) Clean the extractor land (the angled ramp-like groove) in the face of the chamber - it gets mucky with lubed ammo and prevents the extractor from getting a good lock on the rim. I usually clean the MKII like this about every 500rds, and I shoot only SK Std or Match (Wolf Target and Match Xtra). After many thousands of rounds, the thing still extracts, with some good cleaning! I'm guessing the Wolf/SK ammo must be on the slightly large end of diameter tolerance for the body of the case and on the small end for rim diameter... obviously. I would personally not recommend chamfering the chamber... nor dry-firing it for that matter... Unless you're not a super-stickler for accuracy.